Booting with vnc in autorun

5 posts
by Xan » Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 pm
Hi all,
At last my pi has arrived! Anyway, I don't have a screen. Eh, thought my way around it I hope.

I plan to load the distro onto the SD card, then boot my laptop via SD. I then plan to install the VNC client and setting it up etc, checking it works.

Then I need to somehow get an autologin going and launch to desktop and launch VNC so then I can connect and use another screen to manage this small package.

I understand I can do the autologin etc here: http://elinux.org/RPi_Debian_Auto_Login
How would I launch the vnc client?

Would this be viable?

Many thanks

Alex
by AndrewS » Thu May 31, 2012 6:19 pm
Xan wrote:I plan to load the distro onto the SD card, then boot my laptop via SD. I then plan to install the VNC client and setting it up etc, checking it works.

Even if your laptop is ARM and not x86 (which I doubt) it still won't boot from the special SD card set-up used by the RPi.

Have you really got no old TV you could temporarily borrow? It would make sense for you to get familiar with SSH http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... h_in_to_Pi
(look for PuTTY if you're a Windows user)
by AndrewS » Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm
Oh, and you'd run the VNC server on your Raspi, you'd run the VNC client on your laptop :)
by Xan » Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 pm
Unfortunately, even the newest TV I have isn't HD... And yeah, my laptop is x86. Bummer, maybe time to get a new TV...

Many thanks for pointing in the right direction!
by AndrewS » Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 pm
That's specifically why I said old TV ;) - use the (low-res) composite port, at least just long enough to get your initial setup working.