Composite problems

12 posts
by TheCaptain » Wed May 30, 2012 10:26 am
Hello,
I am having problems when using the composite out. the problem is the screen resolution being so low that whenever i'm using the terminal, in x, I can't see the last few lines at the bottom of the window. This is stopping me from being able to see prompts from apt-get etc. I have tried to resize the window, but it seems to have a minimum size or won't let me from the top of the window. Is there a way to change this minimum size so i don't need to leave x whenever i want to use the terminal. I was finding this frustrating when trying the C64 tutorial.

Thanks
TC
by felix123 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:59 am
Have you tried editing config.txt?
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
by dom » Wed May 30, 2012 11:15 am
You want the overscan settings here:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... D_monitors
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by TheCaptain » Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 am
It's not the overscan settings, have just tried them. The desktop is fully on the screen. the problem is that the window goes down beneath the toolbar then off hte bottom of the desktop. the window is just too big for the desktop.

TC
by bredman » Wed May 30, 2012 12:42 pm
If the window is too large for the display, you can move the window around by pressing the Alt key while clicking on the border of the window. Then you can drag the window higher on the display.

This can be a real pain when using large windows on a small display such as 640x480. Maybe you could try using a slightly larger display (see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt) as long as you can still read the text properly.
by bredman » Wed May 30, 2012 1:01 pm
You can control the size of the LXTerminal window as follows...
(you might prefer to do this the first time using the naked command line before the startx command)

Edit the launch configuration for LXTerminal using the following command
sudo nano /usr/share/applications/lxterminal.desktop

Near the end of the document, find the "Exec" command, change this to
Exec=lxterminal --geometry=60x20

Press ctrl-o to save, ctrl-x to exit the editor.

The next time you try to launch LXTerminal in LXDE, this will open a smaller terminal (60x20 characters).

You may have to experiment with the window size to make it as big as possible to fit on your screen.
by AndrewS » Wed May 30, 2012 1:58 pm
I used to run an Ubuntu variant on an EeePC which only had a 800x480 screen. The number of GUI programs that had windows "too big for the screen" was really annoying :!:
The alt-click&drag is definitely the trick, although IIRC it worked anywhere in a window, not just on the border...?
by dom » Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm
You can make a larger framebuffer. e.g.
framebuffer_width=1024
framebuffer_height=768

which should give you more window room in X. You may find the fonts get smaller and less readable.
by TheCaptain » Wed May 30, 2012 8:33 pm
Thanks everyone.

The Alt trick did the job, although that isn't only cure. It won't let me mae teh window smaller until I've made it bigger. once i'd moved the window and could see what i was doing at the side I was away. I can now use the terminal, just need to learn some commands..

Is this caused by a bug in the LXTerminal and where would be the place to report it? I think this maybe used on quite a few small screens in the future.

Cheers
TC
by tipam » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:01 pm
Hi - I've had the same problems with composite but found you need to play with the overscan values in the config.txt file. I have;

overscan_left=40
overscan_right=20
overscan_top=20
overscan_bottom=20

Which fits my desktop nicely
by IDE » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:36 am
Thx for posting config.txt configs.
by bqllpd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:25 pm
I'm also having the same problem. I'm using an old tv with rca out and the desktop is just too big for the tv. It's not an overscan problem and the alt+drag doesn't work with other programs ie most of the Python games, Scratch, Wolfram, Mathematica, terminal etc,. The windows are too big and the rest of the lines in the programs are below the window. The close window buttons are also out of range and inaccessible. The Raspberry background doesn't even fit onto the whole screen. Any help?