Creating an image [solved]

11 posts
by sheriff076 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:54 am
Hello,

Suppose i have my Pi setup with additional software and ive expanded the file system to occupy all 16gb.
What can i use to create a new iso, similar to those from the download page?
I want to have a backup restore that i can re-use as i bugger things up through learning.

I have a mac or acess to a windows machine if simple software is available.

Thanks.

[Moderated by Abishur: changed thread title to fix typo, OP meant image, not iso]
by kasperl » Sun May 27, 2012 9:16 am
dd on a the Mac should work. You can dd if=/dev/$SDCARD$ of=diskimage.img or something like that.
by Joe Schmoe » Sun May 27, 2012 9:33 am
'dd' will not and cannot create an ISO file.

Surprising enough, to create an ISO, you need something like "mkisofs".
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by AndrewS » Sun May 27, 2012 9:47 am
Joe Schmoe wrote:'dd' will not and cannot create an ISO file.

But the OP said "a new iso, similar to those from the download page?" so I suspect they actually meant "img file" and not "iso file" :P in which case the dd answer is correct. You basically just switch the if (input file) and of (output file) arguments around, so that instead of copying the .img to the SD, you instead copy the SD to a .img file http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setu ... in_Mac_OSx
by sheriff076 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:49 am
Hello,

By ISO I did mean IMG, sorry for the confusion. Both answers have certainly been helpful, thanks. I wanted to end up with a file that i could copy, store and re use as and when required.
by mahjongg » Sun May 27, 2012 1:05 pm
ISO is short for "ISO 9660", a file system for CD's, so using this term for any other image is inappropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso_image
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Joe Schmoe » Sun May 27, 2012 2:03 pm
mahjongg wrote:ISO is short for "ISO 9660", a file system for CD's, so using this term for any other image is inappropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso_image

Quite so.

I mean, I know we're supposed to be tolerant and all of other people's usage, but this one bothers me. It is so Humpty Dumpty-ish ("When I use a word, it means what I want it to mean, no less and no more - and there's glory for you!").
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

by AndrewS » Mon May 28, 2012 10:55 am
In this case though I think it was more ignorance than arrogance ;) So teach them the correct terminology and watch them go off happy :lol:
by Joe Schmoe » Mon May 28, 2012 2:41 pm
Just out of curiosity, mind you, but suppose we were discussing our pets, and, for some reason, whenever I want to refer to my cat, I use the word dog. Would you find this a little bit annoying?

Suppose I asked you for a recommendation as to what is the best kind of dog food - the best for my dog - but of course, when I use the word "dog", I'm referring to a creature that most of you refer to as a a "cat".

by AndrewS » Mon May 28, 2012 4:11 pm
That's fine, if when I point out that what you're calling a dog is actually a cat, you reply with "By DOG I did mean CAT, sorry for the confusion", as sheriff076 did above.
Stop trolling :P
by abishur » Mon May 28, 2012 5:08 pm
Why is this thread still going when the OP already admitted that they just made an accident and used the wrong word? Oh, cause I haven't closed it yet :-P

Edit: side note, members of the forums, please stop calling people trolls (especially when it's someone like Joe who has been around for quite a bit and is no troll) if we see someone being trollish we'll take care of it, we don't need an otherwise peaceful thread derailing because everyone shouting troll when they're just inexperienced :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator