Installing programs to Raspberry Pi

10 posts
by Ovalman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:53 pm
Hi all, first of (probably) many Noob questions.

Now I've got my Pi up an running Debian (first attempt, really pleased.) How do I go about installing programs to my SD card?

I go way back to my days of programming a ZX Spectrum and I'd like to learn Python but also Android. Would it be possible to install Eclipse onto the Pi?
by mahjongg » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 pm
As its debian based, you can use the Apt-Get "package manager" to install software from software repositories.
To make that a bit easier, and give you the chance to browse what's available you can install the "synaptic" package manager.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apt-get

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_(software)

There are numerous other ways (through they normally use apt-get) to install other software.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Ovalman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:06 pm
Many thanks, I'll give it a go.
by chde » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:59 am
I also installed Synaptic, and installed about 5 packages.
However, only one of them shows up in the Start Menu... So how do I access the other installed packages?
by chde » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 am
I'd also like to add - one of my packages had issues downloading some of the stuff - could that affect the others?
by ghans » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:45 pm
Drop to the commandline (LXTerminal) and enter
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
apt-get --reinstall synaptic
synaptic&

The first command updates apt. You should do that before installing new packages.
The second is self explaining.
The third starts synaptic from a commandline. The & makes it run in the background.

AFAIK you can start any graphical program from a terminal , as long as X is running.
If you are unsure what the name of the program is , try looking in package properties in Synaptic or try

Code: Select all
man programname

this gives help on program programname.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by josebulnes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:42 pm
where i find more software repositories? or how i can change them?

Thanks.
by ghans » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 pm
Do you really need more ?
Just ask for package inclusion ( 'suppose they should be in the x86 repos already ?!)
The Raspbian repos are mentioned on their page , AFAIK.

Else edit the /etc/apt/sources.list .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by psutton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:45 pm
chde wrote:I also installed Synaptic, and installed about 5 packages.
However, only one of them shows up in the Start Menu... So how do I access the other installed packages?

It depends on what you installed, the package manger will pull in dependencies (auto selects tem) however if you install a gui based app then i would expect that on the menu otherwise if its a console application it may not

you could click the menu button, select run and type the name (on lubuntu it tries to auto complete)
by psutton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 pm
Don't forget you can search for packages on the command line using
apt-cache search <prog name> or even search for a partial program name I think

so for example doing apt-cache search python will get you a list of packages relating to python.

you may need to prefix the above with sudo if there is an issue,

also worth noting that one 1 programme can access the repository at a time (or that is the case on ubuntu) so if you have synaptic running trying the above from command line will fail due to more than 1 program trying to access the repository (i think its more accessing the software that connects)

if someone can reply and clean that up a bit it would be helpful.

Paul