modprobe.conf ?

2 posts
by mev » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:08 pm
Hi. This isn't an issue, as such, but rather a question;

I'm new to Linux and am trying to learn. The book I am reading talks about the use of the modprobe.conf file as a configuration file for the modprobe program to deal with adding and removing modules such as drivers, etc.

I am using the 'Raspbian Wheezy' distro on my Pi and, although I can find the modprobe program itself, I cannot see find a modprobe.conf file.

I have not yet used the modprobe command, so would it be the case that the .conf file gets created when I first do that? Or does modprobe in this distro not use a modprobe.conf file for its configuration parameters?

At the moment I don't know of any modules that I can add to even test using the modprobe command, so I cannot test the theory that the initial usage would generate the .conf file. But then, from what I have read, I would have thought that the .conf file would have to already exist in case the user uses any aliases in the initial invocation of the command.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any insight. I'm just trying to understand it all. :?
by mev » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 pm
Sorry, my book is obviously outdated and therefore somewhat misleading.

It would appear that modprobe.conf is deprecated and the file has been replaced by a directory of files, modprobe.d :oops: