Which is the best for my students.

10 posts
by patrick28953 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 am
I am trying to find a copy of Linux with a g.u.i interface for my students. Can I still get the Fedora Remix or what about XBMC.
by stevepdp » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 am
Patrick,

The Debian reference image (the recommended distro) ships with a graphical user interface, you just need to type "startx” after logging in to access it.

You can also automate this too with very little effort.
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just a very enthusiastic fan.
Web developer, hobbyist game developer and co-organiser of several things.
by patrick28953 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:00 am
Thanks. Where would I find a list of commands to run this os?
by stevepdp » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:24 am
That's an interesting question, because a GNU/Linux system will typically contain hundreds, perhaps even thousands of utilities. It's virtually impossible to learn them all :-)

The official Debian docs would be a good place to start, although admittedly they might seem quite overwhelming at first. See here.

The best way in my experience to learn a new operating system is to literately just throw yourself into it for a couple of days/weeks, learning utilities as and when you need them. Just make sure you have another desktop or something available to look up things when you get stuck.

One utility that's very useful to know about is "man". By typing something like "man cp" you will see documentation for the copy utility. Nearly every package you install will have a man page to read :-)

If you haven't yet received a Raspberry Pi and would like to learn the Debian environment, then perhaps consider installing Debian in a virtual machine?
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just a very enthusiastic fan.
Web developer, hobbyist game developer and co-organiser of several things.
by patrick28953 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:41 am
Thanks. Your absolutely right, I will get started on making virtual machine tonight.
by simonthepiman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:31 am
Hi

I have just started writing a really basic beginners guide to Rapberry Pi unix - you can find this on
http://www.simonthepiman.com/beginners_guide_to_raspberry_pi_unix.php
Simon

http://www.simonthepiman.com (Beginners guides)
by bredman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:56 am
patrick28953 wrote:Thanks. Your absolutely right, I will get started on making virtual machine tonight.

If you are doing this for fun, go ahead. Otherwise a RPi virtual machine is available for Windows, see
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5743
by solid » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:50 pm
simonthepiman wrote:Hi

I have just started writing a really basic beginners guide to Rapberry Pi unix - you can find this on
http://www.simonthepiman.com/beginners_guide_to_raspberry_pi_unix.php

Hi there, just thought you might want some feedback - I was looking for some really basic, friendly, clear instructions for me to work through with my son - your guide looks like it is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate how you have colour-coded the text (maybe have a third colour to show what keys to press e.g. green when referencing the Return key)

Just wanted to say "Thanks", and am looking forward to using your guide.
by simonthepiman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:44 pm
Thanks for the reply, its good to have feedback - I will continue on with my guides please email me if you want to see any particular guides :geek:
Simon

http://www.simonthepiman.com (Beginners guides)
by SN » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:52 pm
And if you are looking for a command/utility to do something use the apropos command with a word describing what you want
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?