Best way to connect Pi to the internet

22 posts
by Mayzie12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm
Just got my Pi a few hours ago, got debian all installed and working away fine and havent changed anything so far.
First time i have ever used Linux and just wondering what is the easiest/best/cheapest way of getting the Pi connected to the internet?
Can i just connect it through my PC with an ethernet cable or will i need a hub or a switch in there somewhere or am i just better getting a Wi-Fi adapter and doing it that way.

Thanks in advance
Craig
by bredman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm
We need a lot more information about what type of internet access you have.

If you have a DSL or cable modem, you will probably have an access point with 4 ethernet ports. In this case, connect the RPi to the access point with an ethernet cable. If you access point provides a WiFi access point, you could use WiFi to connect the RPi to the access point.

If you use a 3G modem directly connected to your PC, you need to set up a bridge between the 3G modem and the ethernet port on the PC. Depending on the operating system on your PC, search the internet for something like "Windows Vista network bridge".
by John_C » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:40 pm
So I could use the RPi in another room I bought a set of Homeplugs, which are ethernet connectors that go in a normal power plug. One connects to the router, the other goes wherever I want the RPi. The set comes with two homeplugs and two Cat5 ethernet cables. Cost £35 delivered. Simples!
by exartemarte » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:58 pm
After several fruitless days trying to get my usb wifi adapter working with the the Pi, I gave up and bought a wireless Ethernet bridge (link). It connects to the Ethernet port and the Pi thinks it has a cabled connection - no need for drivers or anything.

You need a Windows PC or laptop to enter your wireless network SSID and security key into the bridge before you use it. After that you can just connect it to any device that expects a wired Ethernet connection.
by Mayzie12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 pm
Right the setup for internet in the house is as follows:
Modem and wireless router (Whatever Virgin gives you) are downstairs
My bedroom and computer is upstairs using a built in PCI NIC
I also have an older PC which i use as a server occasionaly which uses a dongle to connect to the internet

So i cant connect an ethernet to the back of modem/router as it would have to be a rather long cable and drill holes in the house

I have heard about the ethernet plug things but i dont know if they would work as my room is part of the extension of the house and i dont know if its all part of the same ring main or seperate, not quite sure how the wiring is done.

so its looking like a bridge from my computer to the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks for the help so far :)
by PaulCheffus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 pm
Mayzie12 wrote:Right the setup for internet in the house is as follows:
Modem and wireless router (Whatever Virgin gives you) are downstairs
My bedroom and computer is upstairs using a built in PCI NIC
I also have an older PC which i use as a server occasionaly which uses a dongle to connect to the internet

So i cant connect an ethernet to the back of modem/router as it would have to be a rather long cable and drill holes in the house

I have heard about the ethernet plug things but i dont know if they would work as my room is part of the extension of the house and i dont know if its all part of the same ring main or seperate, not quite sure how the wiring is done.

so its looking like a bridge from my computer to the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Hi

I use power plugs (Ethernet over mains) all over the house and provided that all your ring mains come from the same consumer unit you won't have any issues with them.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by bredman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:52 pm
If your older PC uses a dongle to connect to the internet, this means that you probably have WiFi available in your house. A WiFi dongle for your RPi looks like a good bet.

Try moving your WiFi dongle from your PC to the RPi to see if it works, see http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals. If this WiFi dongle works with the RPi, you can buy any cheap WiFi dongle to use on your PC.

Setting up a network bridge needs two network connections on your PC. It looks like the ethernet port is already being used on your bedroom PC, so this cannot be used as a network bridge.
by SN » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:58 pm
exartemarte wrote:After several fruitless days trying to get my usb wifi adapter working with the the Pi, I gave up and bought a wireless Ethernet bridge (link). It connects to the Ethernet port and the Pi thinks it has a cabled connection - no need for drivers or anything.

You need a Windows PC or laptop to enter your wireless network SSID and security key into the bridge before you use it. After that you can just connect it to any device that expects a wired Ethernet connection.

This is a nice cost effective solution
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by Mayzie12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:31 pm
bredman wrote:
Setting up a network bridge needs two network connections on your PC. It looks like the ethernet port is already being used on your bedroom PC, so this cannot be used as a network bridge.

Nope the Ethernet port is free on my bedroom PC. It has a PCI Wireless card.

Trying to avoid the ethernet Plug things as Plugs are rare in my room aswell as the room where the router/modem is.

Cheers
Craig
by exartemarte » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 pm
bredman wrote:Setting up a network bridge needs two network connections on your PC. It looks like the ethernet port is already being used on your bedroom PC, so this cannot be used as a network bridge.

What I suggested is a wireless bridge, which connects to the wireless router like any other wifi device. It's effectively a wifi dongle that plugs into the Pi's network port rather than a usb one - and needs no drivers or special configuration on the Pi, which thinks it's got a cable connection to the hub.
by Mayzie12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:07 pm
exartemarte wrote:
bredman wrote:Setting up a network bridge needs two network connections on your PC. It looks like the ethernet port is already being used on your bedroom PC, so this cannot be used as a network bridge.

What I suggested is a wireless bridge, which connects to the wireless router like any other wifi device. It's effectively a wifi dongle that plugs into the Pi's network port rather than a usb one - and needs no drivers or special configuration on the Pi, which thinks it's got a cable connection to the hub.

That sounds like the solution im after!
Do you have any reccomendations on which one to buy?#

Thanks
Craig
by exartemarte » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:03 pm
This is the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11G-WIFI-Bridge/dp/B0050AI804/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341269674&sr=8-2

It comes without a power supply. You can power it from a powered usb hub, which is what I have done, or plug in a standard barrel connector. (It also has a power output, so you could insert it into the supply line to your hub.)

There's a picture showing mine here.
by bredman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:36 am
Why spend 18 pounds on a ethernet-to-WiFi dongle if you can buy a WiFi dongle for 6 dollars?

The ethernet-to-WiFi dongle is designed for use in something like a games console which does not allow you to plug in a WiFi dongle directly.
by Mortimer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 am
bredman wrote:Why spend 18 pounds on a ethernet-to-WiFi dongle if you can buy a WiFi dongle for 6 dollars?

The ethernet-to-WiFi dongle is designed for use in something like a games console which does not allow you to plug in a WiFi dongle directly.

Oh! Don't know! I bought a couple of USB wifi dongles, and they work well connected to the RPi as long as I don't try and use a USB memory stick or my USB SD-card reader as well. If the USB wifi dongle is being used, then USB memory sticks don't mount properly, and cycle through the enumeration process continuously. This despite being inserted into a powered USB hub. When I use the Ethernet port, I don't have these issues, and things work far more reliably, I just have to have the Ethernet cable dangling around the room. So I can see that in my situation, this could be a good solution, as I am guessing that to the RPi, it will be just as if I am using my Ethernet cable.

So should such a solution be necessary, or desirable? Perhaps not, but is common knowledge that there can be issues when using multiple USB devices, especially higher power ones, so there is definitely value in listing solutions like this. I for one am interested.
by exartemarte » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:00 am
bredman wrote:Why spend 18 pounds on a ethernet-to-WiFi dongle if you can buy a WiFi dongle for 6 dollars?

Because I had spent three fruitless days, assiduously following tutorials, trying to get my supposedly compatible wifi dongle to work with the Pi - a not uncommon experience - and didn't want to buy a succession of alternative supposedly compatible dongles only to repeat the experience.

And, apart from saving a few pounds, what is the benefit of using usb while a perfectly good Ethernet port sits unused? The intended market of the Ethernet bridge may be games consoles and online TV, but it is designed for use with any device that has an Ethernet port - which includes the Pi.
by PaulCheffus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:10 am
Mayzie12 wrote:
bredman wrote:

Nope the Ethernet port is free on my bedroom PC. It has a PCI Wireless card.

Trying to avoid the ethernet Plug things as Plugs are rare in my room aswell as the room where the router/modem is.

Cheers
Craig

Hi

You can get pass through Ethernet plugs that allow you to plug something into the front so you don't loose a socket.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by Mayzie12 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am
Right ive decided im going to give my Wi-Fi dongle a chance, havent got anything to lose but time, and if that doesnt work ill go for the ethernet wireless adapter.
They're around the same price as the ethernet plugs and frankly i dont need anymore plugs around, and powering by USB is fine by me :)

Thanks for all the help
Craig
by Mortimer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:00 pm
This just appeared on PCPro.co.uk:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-rou ... ano-router

Could be another possibility, with other uses besides.
by clickykbd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 pm
if your nearby computer is linux (which I believe it is not in this case?) and happens to have a spare wired-network connection, it's relatively easy to get "internet connection sharing" working with a cable between them (traditionally a "cross-over" style network cable).

I mention it because it's handy out of the house too, and because I don't think it was mentioned yet?
by Mayzie12 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 am
clickykbd wrote:if your nearby computer is linux (which I believe it is not in this case?) and happens to have a spare wired-network connection, it's relatively easy to get "internet connection sharing" working with a cable between them (traditionally a "cross-over" style network cable).

I mention it because it's handy out of the house too, and because I don't think it was mentioned yet?

No my bedroom PC is not Linux (windows 7)

Im just trying to find the lead for my powered hib to give the dongle a try but it escapes me where i put it......
by guidol » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 am
On my RPi i do use a Edimax BR-6258n as EtherNet2Wireless Bridge.
Its very small (nano) and is powered from its Micro-USB-Port with 5V
by SN » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:53 pm
a bit on the expensive side though - more than twice the price of the vonets one - one of which I've just bought ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271000577408 UK supplier too!) - I'll probably stick it into the back of my little Cisco Hub to give me wired ethernet in my home office (rather than wireless only) - then the misery of wireless adaptor drivers can be banished forever....
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?