pi as a media player

3 posts
by richardw2121 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 pm
firstly I'm not a computer genius like most of you guys.... I'll admit that!
secondly..... I want to run my pi as a media player using individual SD cards as "dvd's".
I know an OS has to go on each SD card in order for it to boot up.

I barely managed to get debian installed on one card but the video output seems to only be in black and white.
Also as the SD card is partitioned and all that jazz.....can I drag and drop AV files from my PC to play through my Pi?
by ghans » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm
Why don't you leave the SD Card always in the Pi and transfer files onto a Pendrive ?

No , you cannot drag'n' drop - only under Linux you'll able to.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by penguintutor » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:03 am
I think putting a Debian image on each SD card so that you could use the SD card like a DVD would be a bit cumbersome. If you made a small change to one image later would you then do that to all of them etc.

I would personally look at either using a thumb drive or using a separate SD card reader so that you didn't need to change your OS SD card. This way the drive could be formatted as fat32 and you could copy to the drive whatever computer you used.

If using the os SD card then you can't drag and drop into the existing ext4 partition, but you could have a separate partition to store the data on and if you create that as a fat32 (vfat) partition then you will be able to drag and drop to that using Windows.

You need a SD card bigger than 2GB (the standard image size). Rather than resizing the partition to fill the SD card instead create a separate partition using cfdisk.

The command to do this on the Pi is
<code>sudo cfdisk /dev/mmcblk0</code>

It's text based, but you can move around to the various options / commands using cursor keys.

Warning: This command is destructive. Do not touch the existing partitions if you want it to continue to be bootable

This is one of the times that the Pi comes into it's own, as worst case scenario is you just need to reimage your SD card (or preferably use a spare SD card to play with first). Whereas if you got this wrong an a "normal" computer that could be all your homework / business files / kids photos that you lose.

I do have a guide on doing this on my blog, but it's for a standard Linux install rather than for the Rasbperry Pi. The main thing to bare in mind is that the SD card is at /dev/mmcblk0 (which isn't obvious from using the mount command which I show in the blog) and to create a vfat partition use the mkdosfs command.

http://www.penguintutor.com/blog/viewblog.php?blog=2704

I'll try and put together a guide on partitioning for the Raspberry Pi, but it's going to be low down on my list of priorities. Have a play - remember the worst thing you can do is to have to reinstall the image (as long as you're not storing anything valuable on that SD card).

Regarding your black and white issue - I suggest you start a new troubleshooting question on the forum with as much details as you have about the issue.