On/Off Switch

30 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by spamurai » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:20 pm
Hello.

As some of you know, I'm a newbie to this stuff but I've been having an interesting read of:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=8820&p=104473

I was wondering if its beneficial to have an on/off switch because its going to get tedious to keep pulling out the plug :shock: and i'm not keen on leaving it on 24/7...

Is there something like this that could act as an on/off switch:
this (1)

If the above example (which is the only one i can find) was used, you'd also need: (2)
this (2)

Then you'd plug the switch (1) into the Pi and plug the convertor (2) into the switch, then plug the power cable into the converter... Then just use the switch to cut off the power instead of the wall socket/plug. (mines in a awkward place behind my desk).

The question is, does that on/off switch act as on/off power or on/off syncing for phones???

I can't help but think if there was an answer to this, someone would already have found it :lol:

Thoughts?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001
by grumpyoldgit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 pm
There's this thing called a four/six gang extension. They are usually about £4.99 and are found in a big bin at B&Q or similar. I always pick the ones with individual switches.
by spamurai » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:28 pm
grumpyoldgit wrote:There's this thing called a four/six gang extension. They are usually about £4.99 and are found in a big bin at B&Q or similar. I always pick the ones with individual switches.

Its mainly because my Pi is powered from a four gang extension which i can not get to with ease (behind desk) and even if i could, that would then turn off the power to the other things i have plugged into it.
Also, i don't want to keep unplugging the microusb as it seems pretty delicate and i believe a few people have already broken the c6 near by :|
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
by grumpyoldgit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:51 pm
Don't tell anyone but I have a four gang socket off a four gang socket!
by SN » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 pm
Get an extension with INDIVIDUAL switches and power the pi off a hub. Don't make this harder than it needs to be ;)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by HTWingNut » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 pm
Yeah, power switch is somewhat problematic. I may splice into my 2.1A 5V power connector and add an in-line on/off switch. Actually I am looking at designing my own case, and may just add a switch with a USB connector on that. But it would have been really nice to have an on/off switch on the mainboard.
by mahjongg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:45 pm
Actually do not simply switch off your PI, but always do a clean power down, otherwise there might be problems with the SD-card, for the same reason do not simply pull out the card while the PI is working. Actually unless you are not using it for weeks on end I would simply leave the PI turned on, unlike windows Linux doesn't have to be rebooted regularly, and it uses so little power, if you want to use it the next day, simply keep it on overnight.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by spamurai » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 pm
HTWingNut wrote:Yeah, power switch is somewhat problematic. I may splice into my 2.1A 5V power connector and add an in-line on/off switch. Actually I am looking at designing my own case, and may just add a switch with a USB connector on that. But it would have been really nice to have an on/off switch on the mainboard.

That's cool. A completely custom case is an option. But I have to agree, and on/off switch would be handy.

mahjongg wrote:Actually do not simply switch off your PI, but always do a clean power down, otherwise there might be problems with the SD-card, for the same reason do not simply pull out the card while the PI is working. Actually unless you are not using it for weeks on end I would simply leave the PI turned on, unlike windows Linux doesn't have to be rebooted regularly, and it uses so little power, if you want to use it the next day, simply keep it on overnight.

I'm just not comfortable with leaving it on, it gets pretty hot as it is.
I do always do a clean shutdown and I don't pull out the cable until the system has halted.

My concern isn't using excessive amounts of power or even overheating but the fact that the micro-USB connection itself may get harmed or even broken if I keep connecting and disconnecting it, not to mention the c6 (off the top of my head) thingy is vulnerable to snapping off.

I have to leave the plug switched on anyway as the socket is behind my desk and not easy to get too.

I just feel an on/off switch would not only allow me to turn the Pi off and allow it to remain cool when not in use but could potentially save any damage to the board or it's conponents....
by leon_heller » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:11 pm
Most electronic equipment lasts longer if left on all the time. Switching it on and off a few times a day is likely to shorten its life.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
by spamurai » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:19 pm
leon_heller wrote:Most electronic equipment lasts longer if left on all the time. Switching it on and off a few times a day is likely to shorten its life.

That's just a theory. Never been proven nor disproven...

I would of thought the Pi is more vunerable to over heating/burning out than having a shorter life due to excessive stress to the electrical circuits.
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:24 pm
spamurai wrote:
leon_heller wrote:Most electronic equipment lasts longer if left on all the time. Switching it on and off a few times a day is likely to shorten its life.

Like evolution...
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by gritz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:11 am
Joe Schmoe wrote:
spamurai wrote:

Like evolution...

:lol:

Electromigration vs thermal cycling vs electricity bills vs having to scrabble under the bench and unplug the PSU. Life sure is complicated.
by PaulCheffus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:37 am
mahjongg wrote:Actually do not simply switch off your PI, but always do a clean power down, otherwise there might be problems with the SD-card, for the same reason do not simply pull out the card while the PI is working. Actually unless you are not using it for weeks on end I would simply leave the PI turned on, unlike windows Linux doesn't have to be rebooted regularly, and it uses so little power, if you want to use it the next day, simply keep it on overnight.

Hi

I booted my Pi yesterday before switching the TV to the correct AV input. The Pi just sat there with the Red LED on and didn't boot. Switching the Pi off and on then resulted in it booting. If I left the Pi on all the time but changed the inputs as for example I wanted to watch TV on switching the input back would the Pi still display on the screen?

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by alexeames » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 am
PaulCheffus wrote:Hi

I booted my Pi yesterday before switching the TV to the correct AV input. The Pi just sat there with the Red LED on and didn't boot. Switching the Pi off and on then resulted in it booting. If I left the Pi on all the time but changed the inputs as for example I wanted to watch TV on switching the input back would the Pi still display on the screen?

Cheers

Paul

It does with HDMI. I expect it would with the RCA as well. As long as you boot with the TV connected correctly it ought to be OK.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
by davesedar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:23 pm
spamurai wrote:Hello.

As some of you know, I'm a newbie to this stuff but I've been having an interesting read of:

I was wondering if its beneficial to have an on/off switch because its going to get tedious to keep pulling out the plug :shock: and i'm not keen on leaving it on 24/7...

this (1)

If the above example (which is the only one i can find) was used, you'd also need: (2)
this (2)

Then you'd plug the switch (1) into the Pi and plug the convertor (2) into the switch, then plug the power cable into the converter... Then just use the switch to cut off the power instead of the wall socket/plug. (mines in a awkward place behind my desk).

The question is, does that on/off switch act as on/off power or on/off syncing for phones???

I can't help but think if there was an answer to this, someone would already have found it :lol:

Thoughts?

Hi
you could try this USB cable with a switch in the middle, between your USB charger and the USB-microUSB cable.
I haven't tried it, but seems like it should disconnect the power.
[http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-A-Male-to-USB-Female-Switchable-Data-Charging-Cable-Power-or-Data-Only-B1-/120929112192?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item1c27efd080#ht_1608wt_989]
by dlp2k » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:17 pm
You could get really fancy and have a remote control on/off switch (in fact you can have 3...) all for the princely sum of £5 :)

http://reviews.asda.com/1440-en_gb/0040 ... eviews.htm
by ech0 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:01 pm
spamurai wrote:i'm not keen on leaving it on 24/7...

While an on/off switch would be great for some, I don't see the reason not to keep it 24/7.
by dom » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:13 pm
PaulCheffus wrote:I booted my Pi yesterday before switching the TV to the correct AV input. The Pi just sat there with the Red LED on and didn't boot. Switching the Pi off and on then resulted in it booting. If I left the Pi on all the time but changed the inputs as for example I wanted to watch TV on switching the input back would the Pi still display on the screen?

If it didn't boot then it's probably this issue:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/54

(which is fixed in latest firmware)

Yes, you can switch TV away from the Pi's channel and switch back, and image will still be there.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by PaulCheffus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:19 pm
dom wrote:
PaulCheffus wrote:I booted my Pi yesterday before switching the TV to the correct AV input. The Pi just sat there with the Red LED on and didn't boot. Switching the Pi off and on then resulted in it booting. If I left the Pi on all the time but changed the inputs as for example I wanted to watch TV on switching the input back would the Pi still display on the screen?

If it didn't boot then it's probably this issue:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/54

(which is fixed in latest firmware)

Hi

Thanks for the reply and information but this happened after I had updated yesterday at around 11am. I'm using the Wheezy beta.

Cheers

Paul
by dom » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:19 pm
PaulCheffus wrote:Thanks for the reply and information but this happened after I had updated yesterday at around 11am. I'm using the Wheezy beta.

Are you sure it didn't boot? Can you repeat test but watch OK led. If it flashes for ~20 seconds, then it has booted (and you should be able to see it on network with ping or ssh) - even if display is blank.

It will default to composite if the TV doesn't assert hotplug. Most TV's do assert hotplug even when on wrong input, but not all do. If yours doesn't, and you always want HDMI output then add:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
to config.txt.
by spamurai » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:20 pm
davesedar wrote:
spamurai wrote:Hello.

this (1)

this (2)

Thoughts?

Hi
you could try this USB cable with a switch in the middle, between your USB charger and the USB-microUSB cable.
I haven't tried it, but seems like it should disconnect the power.
[http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-A-Male-to-USB-Female-Switchable-Data-Charging-Cable-Power-or-Data-Only-B1-/120929112192?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item1c27efd080#ht_1608wt_989]

I saw something similar to that which i posted on another thread. Had the same Charge/Data switch. But, I'm pretty sure even through the data switch, it would allow power to run through and not actually cut the circuit all together... I might try though out of curiosity.

dlp2k wrote:You could get really fancy and have a remote control on/off switch (in fact you can have 3...) all for the princely sum of £5 :)

http://reviews.asda.com/1440-en_gb/0040 ... eviews.htm

That does seem pretty cool :lol: 8-)

ech0 wrote:
spamurai wrote:i'm not keen on leaving it on 24/7...

While an on/off switch would be great for some, I don't see the reason not to keep it 24/7.

Well, if you read this thread and my replies, you'd see where i'm coming from...
If you want to risk it, thats great. I'd just rather take precautions if/where i can :D
by PaulCheffus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm
dom wrote:
PaulCheffus wrote:Thanks for the reply and information but this happened after I had updated yesterday at around 11am. I'm using the Wheezy beta.

Are you sure it didn't boot? Can you repeat test but watch OK led. If it flashes for ~20 seconds, then it has booted (and you should be able to see it on network with ping or ssh) - even if display is blank.

It will default to composite if the TV doesn't assert hotplug. Most TV's do assert hotplug even when on wrong input, but not all do. If yours doesn't, and you always want HDMI output then add:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
to config.txt.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I can't try it at the moment as I am away but will try it when I get back.

Cheers

Paul
by mahjongg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:54 am
spamurai wrote:I would of thought the Pi is more vunerable to over heating/burning out than having a shorter life due to excessive stress to the electrical circuits.

I see no proof of the PI's chips getting hotter than other similar circuits, or that there is excessive stress on its board. I don't see any PI board curling up,and I have seen pictures of XBOX 360 board that were crooked as a hoop, but still working.
On the other hand, its clear that regular thermal cycling could in theory be harmfull for BGA packages, after 100.000 cycles or so, if brittle solder is used.

Both factors do not make me concerned in case of the R-PI, anymore that I would be concerned about say the DVD player I have, and sometimes I leave that on for weeks, and sometimes I power it up and down twice daily, and it costs a lot more than a PI would.

The difference is that I do not screw it open to see if there are chips in it that are uncomfortable to touch.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by PaulCheffus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 pm
dom wrote:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
to config.txt.

Hi

Had chance to test this tonight.

Yes it does flash the Ok LED for around 20 seconds, I must have missed this last time.

Adding the line above has allowed me to switch it on with the TV on a different AV input to the Pi and then to get an output when I switch to the correct input.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Paul
by spamurai » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:40 am
mahjongg wrote:
spamurai wrote:I would of thought the Pi is more vunerable to over heating/burning out than having a shorter life due to excessive stress to the electrical circuits.

I see no proof of the PI's chips getting hotter than other similar circuits, or that there is excessive stress on its board. I don't see any PI board curling up,and I have seen pictures of XBOX 360 board that were crooked as a hoop, but still working.
On the other hand, its clear that regular thermal cycling could in theory be harmfull for BGA packages, after 100.000 cycles or so, if brittle solder is used.

Both factors do not make me concerned in case of the R-PI, anymore that I would be concerned about say the DVD player I have, and sometimes I leave that on for weeks, and sometimes I power it up and down twice daily, and it costs a lot more than a PI would.

The difference is that I do not screw it open to see if there are chips in it that are uncomfortable to touch.

Thats actually a good way of looking at it. Maybe i am just being too over protective :roll: