How to connect to USB Wireless Network Adapter

9 posts
by dasweb » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:16 pm
Hi,

Completely new to this.

Using Debian Squeeze. I've logged in and am at the graphical interface by using startx.

My USB Wireless Network Adapter is connected. How to I configure the network connection? Is there a GUI for this?

Thanks.
Last edited by dasweb on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by bredman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:54 am
You will find lots of information on this page
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters
by Grumpy Mike » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:35 pm
dasweb wrote:I've logged in and am at the graphical interface by using startx.

My USB Wireless Network Adapter is connected.

I am new too. It seems that once you type startx then WiFi dies and you can't do anything about this until you come out of it again.
I have been struggling with this for a few days and haven't found a solution although there is lots of talk about the issue.
by Grumpy Mike » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:23 pm
I have found a way to do it but it is not very nice.
Basically do not have a hub, have the USB WiFi in one socket and a keyboard in the other.
Enter the desktop with startx, then swap the keyboard for the mouse. Basically swap keyboard and mouse when you need them.
If you attach a hub with a keyboard on it you loose the network.
This is a software issue and hopefully someone will sort it soon.
by NickT » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:31 pm
Grumpy Mike wrote:I have found a way to do it but it is not very nice.
Basically do not have a hub, have the USB WiFi in one socket and a keyboard in the other.
Enter the desktop with startx, then swap the keyboard for the mouse. Basically swap keyboard and mouse when you need them.
If you attach a hub with a keyboard on it you loose the network.
This is a software issue and hopefully someone will sort it soon.

I can confirm that this works for me too, with one slight difference. I think my wifi adapter wants more current than a Pi port can give it, so I connected its data lines straight to the PI but gave it the 5V from the powered hub's supply. The powered hub didn't connect its data lines anywhere.

Incidentally if you happen to have an unpowered hub as well, then you might like to try this equally Heath Robinson 'fix' that will give you both mouse and kbd. I posted it in page 1of this thread:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6928&p=88573&hilit=lxde&sid=f888ffc85281a2d47ae4dda39ba705f1&sid=f888ffc85281a2d47ae4dda39ba705f1#p88573

Still far from ideal. I agree it's a software not a power problem.

I tried to get wifi and LXDE going on the Arch distro but was beaten into submission by file conflicts with pacman. I think when I had to pick between lsusbx and lsub modules for the wifi part, that lsusbx was the wrong choice as far as the LXDE side was concerned. I don't think I can face having another stab at it for a while though.
by phrasz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:26 pm
Port 1: USB WiFi
Port 2: Wireless Keyboard AND Mouse Dongle

^_^
by Nburnes » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:49 am
Grumpy Mike wrote:
dasweb wrote:I've logged in and am at the graphical interface by using startx.

My USB Wireless Network Adapter is connected.

I am new too. It seems that once you type startx then WiFi dies and you can't do anything about this until you come out of it again.
I have been struggling with this for a few days and haven't found a solution although there is lots of talk about the issue.

I don't have this issue at all. Top port is powered 4-port hub, bottom is mouse. On the hub I have my Microusb to power the Pi itself, my keyboard and my Wifi dongle. All work fine including in the GUI.

Hub is a Belkin F4U040 and the adapter is a Patriot Memory PCUSBW1150
by Lob0426 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:37 pm
I have the wireless stick finding the network in command line. Installed a network manager gnome in LXDE. Will not connect to the Internet in the GUI but identifies local wireless networks. I got tired of playing with it. I took a wireless router set it up in bridge mode. Wireless connectivity just by plugging it into the RasPi Ethernet port. I will try to get the Netgear adapter (WG111v2) working again tonight. I also have a linksys adapter but it needs a driver to work.

I think I may buy the Edimax 6258n nano wireless router and use it as a bridge. It is real small and more powerful than any of the USB adapters. For right now I have several wireless routers (G and N) lying around.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by phrasz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:09 pm