Pre-installed SD card query

3 posts
by PowerHaulJack » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:32 am
Hello everyone,

Last week I ordered my Raspberry Pi via the RS Components store, along with a pre-loaded SD card which has the Raspberry Pi OS installed. I'm, however, starting to wonder what the OS that is pre-installed actually is. I've never used Linux, and have always been a Windows man from the very beginning (using Windows 95 when I was a little'n) and so a lot of the software regarding the Pi is new to me.

Could anyone inform me exactly what OS is going to arrive on my SD card? I'm interested in the LXDE os from Debian website, as that looks pretty neat and suited for my Pi.

If anyone has any comments or ideas, please let me know. I'm wanting to use my Pi for simple web browsing and also to continue my HTML coding project which I'm currently in the process of doing.

Regards
Jack from North Wales.
by IT_Sean » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:54 pm
If you ordered the "Official" distro, it'll be Debian.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi IRC channel: #raspberrypi on irc.freenode.net
Come join us for a chat!
by hjongste » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:42 am
I'll try to manage your expectations. The Debian image that is on the SD card is still an early version which means it doesn't use the 2D acceleration capabilities of the Pi. Therefore web browsing (although functional) is very slow due to the building up of the screen graphics. Eventually this will be sorted out (end of the year they say) but for now the pi will be slooooow.