Get RaspberryPi display on iMac

40 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by jayjaydeepee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 pm
I'm starting completely new with RaspberryPi, and I want to use my iMac 10,1 (Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6.8) as a monitor.
I'm using a HDMI cable from the RaspberryPi through two converters into the MiniDisplay Port at the back of the Mac, but I can't see any way of getting the Mac to display the input from the RaspberryPi.
Any ideas on how to do this?
I've tested the RaspberryPi using a TV as a display (it won't log on, that's another issue, but it will boot), so the board is working.
But I can't use the TV for playing with the RaspberryPi since other people want to watch the TV! I only have the iMac or a Mac Powerbook to use for displays.
So I really need to get it working with the Mac - any ideas?
by dom » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:13 pm
There was some discussion about iMac display going through adpator:
viewtopic.php?t=5591&p=75311

Seems the EDID reported through that combination is not valid.

Have a look here:
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

and try
hmdi_group=1
hdmi_mode=4

if that doesn't work try adding:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

If no luck, post your edid here.
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat
and show output of
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -s
(without the config.txt file present)
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by jayjaydeepee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 pm
Sorry, you've already me lost me.
What is EDID?
You ask me to post it to you - but how would I find the EDID?
Is that some program on the Mac?
Bear in mind that I can't see any output from the RaspberryPi, so if it is something that should be coming from the RaspberryPi, then I'm not seeing it in the first place.
Is there any way to get display output through an Ethernet cable to a Netgear router?
by jayjaydeepee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:43 pm
Ah, OK, I now see what EDID is:
*EDID: When starting the raspberry-Pi asks the TV for information about itself. This information is returned by the TV in a data structure called an 'EDID' block.
But since I haven't got any display on the iMAC, I couldn't see the EDID even if there was one.
I think my problem is more basic.
by dom » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:04 pm
"/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat" will dump your edid, but you need a way to interact with Pi first.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7335 may help (but not the first post).

You'll probably have more luck with forcing a specific mode by creating a config.txt file on sdcard using windows/mac/linux machine.
by jayjaydeepee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:10 pm
Thanks, but again this is getting way beyond my competence.
I've never had to do more than push an ON button to start a computer before. I really am a beginner.
It looks to me as if I should forget about trying to use RaspberryPi with a Mac.
Can you recommend a cheap monitor I could buy that will display straight off when I plug in the RaspberryPi?
I already have a wired mouse and keyboard to use with the RaspberryPi, so I don't need those.
£22 for the computer - but I can see that, like printers, the real cost with this thing is in all the extra stuff you have to buy to make it work!
by roryoldershaw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:12 pm
Wait I don't think you can use your iMac as a monitor. Yes you could potentially use an Apple Cinema Display, but as far as I'm aware you cannot use your MiniDisplay Port as a HDMI input device.

Rory
by itimpi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:15 pm
Probably easier for you would be to connect from the Mac to the Pi over your network. If you simply want a command-line interface on the Pi then you can Start a SSH session from the Mac. If you want a graphical interface on the Pi then the easiest way would be to run a VNC client on the Mac.

In both of these case you have the Pi output appearing in a Mac window and you use the Mac Keyboard and mouse. This avoids the need to have such peripherals dedicated to the Pi.
by jayjaydeepee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:23 pm
Thanks for those latest ideas.
Using the Mac keyboard and mouse via VNC sounds good.
Would I then connect the RaspberryPi via a Netgear router or how?
But I've no idea how to do that. Is VNC a program?
Any links or advice you could offer would be most helpful.
by roryoldershaw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:25 pm
You could however SSH into your device with this command.
Code: Select all
ssh -X username@hostname.here

And then running
Code: Select all
exec startlxde

Will start up the GUI in X11 on your Mac.

Rory
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:28 pm
This is just like the fact that whenever I see the "Can I use a VGA monitor with the PI?" question come up, my response is: Sure, leave the VGA monitor connected to your Windows PC, and use VNC.

Same thing here.
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by jayjaydeepee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:35 pm
OK, so VNC is a software program I run on the Mac to display content from another computer - in this case the RaspberryPi.
But what cable do I use to connect the RaspberryPi to the Mac?
It sounds as if the MiniDisplay Port won't accept material coming in to the Mac. So how do I get a connection between the RaspberryPi and the Mac?
by roryoldershaw » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:36 pm
You do that using a network connection via ethernet.

Rory
by jayjaydeepee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:44 pm
Network connection via Ethernet. Good, I'll have a go, but no time this afternoon.
Thank you all for your comments - sorry to sound so basic, but after RaspberryPi is indeed for the total novice, and that's me!
by Bleyddyn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:57 pm
You are actually supposed to be able to use a recent iMac as an external display: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924
I don't have my RaspberryPi yet so I can't test it.

However, VNC or ssh/X11 do have the benefit of only needing one keyboard/mouse.
by jayjaydeepee » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 am
Thanks for that - unfortunately I have the 21" iMac, so mine won't work as an external display. I will be pursuing the VNC route.
by jayjaydeepee » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:25 am
OK, I'm stuck again. Sorry!
I have RPi connected to an iMac with an Ethernet cable, and I am trying to use Terminal to put VNC software on the RPi so that I can get a full-screen display from the RPi on my Mac.
I understand that first I need to SSH into the RPi, in order to be able to install the VNC software on it.
1. Can I SSH from the Terminal, or is it a different piece of software for that?
2. One post here said that when using SSH you need to start with "ssh -X username@hostname.here" What username is this? How can I find it?
Thanks for your help.
by wallacebiy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:43 am
Just posting an Ethernet cable between the mac and the raspi won't work ( well it would if you use a crossover cable and then set up an adhoc network between the mac and the Raspi .

2 options I'd look at here are
1 . Connect Both Imac and Raspi to the same Wifi Router

2 share the Imacs Internet connection with the raspi over wifi .

both will require a wifi Dongle on the Raspi .

Alternatively , You could get a USB dongle for the imac for TV input , and connect the Raspi that way

the Display port on the Imac is an output only one as far as I know ...

PS , ask if anything I've said isn't clear .
by AndrewS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 am
The easiest networking option (that I use) is if you have a internet router that has both ethernet and wifi interfaces. My laptop connects to my router via wifi, my raspberrypi connects to the router via ethernet, and they can then "see" each other over the local network. You may need to check your router's logs/DHCP settings to find out what IP address got assigned to the raspi.
by jayjaydeepee » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:39 pm
OK, that sounds a good option - plug the Raspi into the Netgear router with an Ethernet cable & try to go from there.
Thanks!
by Chrisn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 pm
I've at long last got my Pi but am a bit confused by this thread.
You are suggesting using vnc to see the Pi on the iMac.
I'm interested in the concept as for some ideas i wanted to leave the Pi to get on with things and just view things from time to time as I have using Teamviewer to access a PS from an iMac.
What I dont understand is with the Teamviewer setup you have to initially set up the PC to autostart that program, how do you achieve this on the Pi if you have no screen to start with?
or is vnc always running when it starts?
Also if I wanted to access the Pi on vnc over a wireless network what other things do I need to set up?

Any help greatly appreciated - still waiting for my distro to burn onto the sd card
by texy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:17 pm
I,m not sure teamviewer is compatable with the pi (or the mac for that matter).
I use puTTY on my xp laptop, but I,m not sure there is a mac version - someone will pip in and tell you.

You don't say which distro you are 'burning' ?
If its 20120419 Debian Squeeze, then you need to enable ssh.
Personally I would go for the new Wheezy distro, available here :
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8071

it has ssh enabled by default, and has a nice configuration screen when you first boot it up.

You will also need to install a vnc server, eg
sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by D33PNAVY » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:36 pm
I have managed to log on to the raspberry pi using the X11 using the ssh -X pi@192.168.0.6 (check your own ip address) it then asks for the password$: raspberry
by moritzcorpus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:22 pm
does anybody got the RaspberryPi and a iMac - in target display mode - to work?
have problem here :)

jayjaydeepee wrote:I'm starting completely new with RaspberryPi, and I want to use my iMac 10,1 (Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6.8) as a monitor.
I'm using a HDMI cable from the RaspberryPi through two converters into the MiniDisplay Port at the back of the Mac, but I can't see any way of getting the Mac to display the input from the RaspberryPi.
Any ideas on how to do this?
I've tested the RaspberryPi using a TV as a display (it won't log on, that's another issue, but it will boot), so the board is working.
But I can't use the TV for playing with the RaspberryPi since other people want to watch the TV! I only have the iMac or a Mac Powerbook to use for displays.
So I really need to get it working with the Mac - any ideas?
by kallikrates » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 pm
texy wrote:I,m not sure teamviewer is compatable with the pi (or the mac for that matter).
I use puTTY on my xp laptop, but I,m not sure there is a mac version - someone will pip in and tell you.
Texy

Teamviewer is OK with Macs. Cannot say as yet about PI.
Best wishes, Stephen