Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

1148 posts   Page 2 of 46   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46
by rahduke » Sun May 27, 2012 12:37 am
I can confirm that this script does not work with RASPBMC, i've tried it with 2 different adapters with the RTL8188CUS chipset. It seems that Raspbmc is missing all the components necessary for wifi. I'm no expert though, if Mr. Engman can look into it I'm sure he could tell us what the deal is
by MrEngman » Sun May 27, 2012 10:56 am
rahduke wrote:I can confirm that this script does not work with RASPBMC, i've tried it with 2 different adapters with the RTL8188CUS chipset. It seems that Raspbmc is missing all the components necessary for wifi. I'm no expert though, if Mr. Engman can look into it I'm sure he could tell us what the deal is

You're right about it missing wifi components. It's also missing other items used in the script - unzip being another one.

When I can get RaspBMC to boot up and enable me to get to a terminal that is visible on the screen I will see what I can do. RaspBMC just proving a little uncooperative at the moment.

Just made another SD card with RaspBMC and now I get a kernel panic while it is initialising. Really, what next :(
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
by victagayun » Sun May 27, 2012 1:05 pm
MrEngman wrote:
rahduke wrote:I can confirm that this script does not work with RASPBMC, i've tried it with 2 different adapters with the RTL8188CUS chipset. It seems that Raspbmc is missing all the components necessary for wifi. I'm no expert though, if Mr. Engman can look into it I'm sure he could tell us what the deal is

You're right about it missing wifi components. It's also missing other items used in the script - unzip being another one.

When I can get RaspBMC to boot up and enable me to get to a terminal that is visible on the screen I will see what I can do. RaspBMC just proving a little uncooperative at the moment.

Just made another SD card with RaspBMC and now I get a kernel panic while it is initialising. Really, what next :(

mr engman, as i said, please try network-manager gnome and kde, see if this can fix...
by rahduke » Sun May 27, 2012 5:00 pm
I've had problems getting to the terminal as well, I've found using ye olde' RCA video allows me to drop into CLI by "exiting" xbmc. Another easy solution was to use SSH (putty) to tunnel in. I'm really not sure installing KDE/GNOME or network-manager is the solution.

P.S. Sam the big cheese over at RASPBMC has posted a new installer that is supposed to resolve the SD card issues http://www.raspbmc.com/2012/05/new-rasp ... rd-issues/
Haven't tried it yet but it should be a big step forward.
by MrEngman » Sun May 27, 2012 5:18 pm
victagayun wrote:mr engman, as i said, please try network-manager gnome and kde, see if this can fix...

As a relative beginner your advice is beyond me except it appears I would need to install X11 etc. as RaspBMC does not use X11. However, ....

It is a little more fundamental than that. Seems RaspBMC currently has NO support at all for wireless devices. So even if you have drivers and firmware you are not going to get anything working just yet.

For instance I have installed various basic wireless packages including iw. Executing "sudo iw wlan0 info" gives a response "nl80211 not found". I'm currently investigating how to install nl80211 but have yet to find anything that makes sense to me.

If you know of a package including nl80211 now that might be useful.
by rahduke » Mon May 28, 2012 3:44 am
so I figured getting this script working on raspbmc is a dead end for me, however I came across this wonderful XBMC-Debian image made by Liam in this post (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5037&start=75) which seems to be XBMC compiled on basically the standard debian squeeze image.

The script executes for me but fails and loops when the network restarts, "wlan0 failed to connect Trying again. Are the SSID and PASSWORD correct?" eventually spitting out a "Failed to bring up wlan0" error I've reformatted and ran the script thrice so I'm sure I have my SSID and pass right.

MrEngman: think it's worth a look?
by MrEngman » Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 am
rahduke wrote:so I figured getting this script working on raspbmc is a dead end for me, however I came across this wonderful XBMC-Debian image made by Liam in this post (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5037&start=75) which seems to be XBMC compiled on basically the standard debian squeeze image.

The script executes for me but fails and loops when the network restarts, "wlan0 failed to connect Trying again. Are the SSID and PASSWORD correct?" eventually spitting out a "Failed to bring up wlan0" error I've reformatted and ran the script thrice so I'm sure I have my SSID and pass right.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I've downloaded the image you pointed me at and have just installed the wifi using my script. The script hasn't quite finished as it's running though the rpi-update at the moment but the wifi is running fine and downloading data at the moment. Pinging the Pi from another system on my network and it is responding OK.

What exactly is the wifi adapter you are trying to use? Do you have the USB device ID for it? Is it plugged directly into the Pi or into a hub? Someone else using my script ran into problems when they put the wifi adapter into a hub but it turned out there was some sort of issue with the hub. Do you have a network cable plugged in. If you have try with it unplugged. Do you see any sign of any activity at all - e.g. a flashing light on the adapter?

I have also had problems with a hub. If my wifi adapter and keyboard were both plugged into the hub the wifi would not work. If I moved either the keyboard or the wifi and plugged whichever I took out of the hub directly into the Pi then the wifi worked OK.

Right, my script has finished and the wifi is up and running no problem. rpi-update ran out of space for its downloads so I'll re-write the image and re-partition it this time before running the script but everything went fine and the wifi is looking good. Started up XBMC as well - looks rather neat. Prefer it to RaspBMC. Especially as the wifi works :D

I have actually made a small update to the script to add hot-plugging so you can add the wifi adapter to the Pi when it is already powered on and it will start automatically without having to do the manual restart "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" to get the wifi running. Allows you to remove the wifi adapter while the Pi is powered on and plug it back in later and it will automatically restart. Much better than having to manually run a command to restart. Or you can power up the Pi without the adapter plugged in and plug it in later and it will automatically start.

Running my script just now I told it to use hot-plugging and when it asked me to plug in the wifi I plugged it in and it started automatically before I needed to press the key to continue the script which then does a manual restart.

Well. All runs fine here. Would be nice to figure out why you're having problems.

Just tried again, this time without hot-plugging as in the original script and again no problems.

One thing I've just thought of and not seen it mentioned anywhere in the forums. On my network I restrict access to my wifi access points based on the wifi devices MAC address so to get a working connection my access points need to know the MAC address of the wifi adapter. I got the MAC address of my adapter by plugging it into one of my Windows computers. It is available from the network data output from the "ifconfig" command from the adapter when plugged into the Pi but I'm not sure if its available before starting the adapter. Will have to look at this and see what I can do. Must make a note about using MAC addresses in the instructions.
by tawalker » Mon May 28, 2012 9:12 am
Coming in a bit late here, but further up in this thread I spotted a recommendation for using NetworkManager.

If you're after a utility for managing various network connections, which is somewhat more lightweight than NM, I recommend wicd (pronounced "wicked"). I reviewed wicd on my Eee blog last year - it runs as a daemon, and you access it via a client (ncurses-based at the console, GTK+/Python- and Qt-based under X11). It's lacking a couple of features of NetworkManager, such as VPN management (this is apparently coming in v2), but you may not need these.

I found wicd works well on the Pi as well as my Eee, though to be fair I haven't tried a USB WiFi adapter on the Pi yet. I don't know if wicd is in the Debian repositories, but it's in the Arch ones so I'd imagine it would be.

I'd recommend giving wicd a try, but remember to disable any other network managers you might have running, as they don't tend to like co-existing :)
---
Raspberry Pi Model B ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux/ARM (hard float)
Visit Eee 701 Planetoid (http://eee701planetoid.wordpress.com/) for continuing adventures with an Eee 701SD and Raspberry Pi...
---
by ScoobyDoo » Mon May 28, 2012 12:57 pm
Just tried out Liam's image with this script and it worked great.
I don't use my hub though when installing as I've had the odd error pop up, it's fine using the hub with the adapter after the drivers are installed but during the script I plug it straight into the pi
by MrEngman » Mon May 28, 2012 2:23 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:Just tried out Liam's image with this script and it worked great.
I don't use my hub though when installing as I've had the odd error pop up, it's fine using the hub with the adapter after the drivers are installed but during the script I plug it straight into the pi

Fantastic - makes me feels really good to hear this sort of news.

Thanks
by rahduke » Mon May 28, 2012 3:15 pm
MrEngman wrote:
rahduke wrote:so I figured getting this script working on raspbmc is a dead end for me, however I came across this wonderful XBMC-Debian image made by Liam in this post (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5037&start=75) which seems to be XBMC compiled on basically the standard debian squeeze image.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I've downloaded the image you pointed me at and have just installed the wifi using my script. The script hasn't quite finished as it's running though the rpi-update at the moment but the wifi is running fine and downloading data at the moment. Pinging the Pi from another system on my network and it is responding OK.

What exactly is the wifi adapter you are trying to use? Do you have the USB device ID for it? Is it plugged directly into the Pi or into a hub? Someone else using my script ran into problems when they put the wifi adapter into a hub but it turned out there was some sort of issue with the hub. Do you have a network cable plugged in. If you have try with it unplugged. Do you see any sign of any activity at all - e.g. a flashing light on the adapter?

I have also had problems with a hub. If my wifi adapter and keyboard were both plugged into the hub the wifi would not work. If I moved either the keyboard or the wifi and plugged whichever I took out of the hub directly into the Pi then the wifi worked OK.

Right, my script has finished and the wifi is up and running no problem. rpi-update ran out of space for its downloads so I'll re-write the image and re-partition it this time before running the script but everything went fine and the wifi is looking good. Started up XBMC as well - looks rather neat. Prefer it to RaspBMC. Especially as the wifi works :D

I have actually made a small update to the script to add hot-plugging so you can add the wifi adapter to the Pi when it is already powered on and it will start automatically without having to do the manual restart "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" to get the wifi running. Allows you to remove the wifi adapter while the Pi is powered on and plug it back in later and it will automatically restart. Much better than having to manually run a command to restart. Or you can power up the Pi without the adapter plugged in and plug it in later and it will automatically start.

Running my script just now I told it to use hot-plugging and when it asked me to plug in the wifi I plugged it in and it started automatically before I needed to press the key to continue the script which then does a manual restart.

Well. All runs fine here. Would be nice to figure out why you're having problems.

Just tried again, this time without hot-plugging as in the original script and again no problems.

One thing I've just thought of and not seen it mentioned anywhere in the forums. On my network I restrict access to my wifi access points based on the wifi devices MAC address so to get a working connection my access points need to know the MAC address of the wifi adapter. I got the MAC address of my adapter by plugging it into one of my Windows computers. It is available from the network data output from the "ifconfig" command from the adapter when plugged into the Pi but I'm not sure if its available before starting the adapter. Will have to look at this and see what I can do. Must make a note about using MAC addresses in the instructions.

thanks for the response Mr.Engman. This is driving me nuts! read your response and I realized every time I've tried to install I've had the ethernet plugged in, since I don't use a a USB hub I figured that was definitely the issue.....alas two install attempts and no success. My USB Device ID is:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN

I do use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo in my other USB port it uses the 2.4GHZ frequency but I don't see how that could be causing the issues. Is it possible that the wifi adapter is only trying to connect to my network using the wireless N protocol? If so that could be an issue because I only have a G router.... I do not have any MAC address filtering setup so that isn't the issue either. I was thinking maybe the wifi adapter is just junk, but I've tried it in 2 different computers and it works fine in Ubuntu and Windows..... pulling my hair out over here! What brand of adapter do you use? Perhaps I'll just order the same one
by alexeames » Mon May 28, 2012 4:02 pm
MrEngman wrote:Fantastic - makes me feels really good to hear this sort of news.

Thanks

Prepare to feel good. I just created a fresh debian image on an 8 gig card and went through your instructions in my own little way. :lol:

I had some issues getting the script to run - that was because lowercase letter l and number 1 look almost the same in both the instructions and the system font. Perhaps an explanatory note might make people aware of this? Took me several minutes to twig. :lol:

The other issue I had was that I left my ethernet connected so I could do the install via SSH.
So it went swimmingly well once I was typing the correct filename...

right up until the network restart - whereupon, it obviously threw me out of my SSH connection. So I decided to leave it running for a couple of minutes and then shutdown from the master console.

Then I powered off, disconnected ethernet waited 30 seconds and powered back on.

And it worked perfectly. I expect the script stopped after the network reboot. I certainly didn't leave it running long enough to have done all the updates - but to be honest, I wasn't bothered about the updates anyway. So, yes, it works on the Edimax.

Well done.

p.s. If I want to move to a different WiFi router elsewhere, what files do I need to edit with new SSID and password? Or is there more to it than that?
Last edited by alexeames on Mon May 28, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
by alexeames » Mon May 28, 2012 4:05 pm
rahduke wrote:thanks for the response Mr.Engman. This is driving me nuts! read your response and I realized every time I've tried to install I've had the ethernet plugged in, since I don't use a a USB hub I figured that was definitely the issue.....alas two install attempts and no success. My USB Device ID is:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN

I do use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo in my other USB port it uses the 2.4GHZ frequency but I don't see how that could be causing the issues.

I installed via ssh with ethernet connected, using no hub and a 2.4 gig wireless keyboard/mouse dongle plugged into the other USB port. No issues apart from my own uniqueness in trying to do it my way. :lol:
by Charax » Mon May 28, 2012 4:28 pm
If a script like this was available for the 8192SU adaptors I wouldn't have spent my first Pi Day fiddling with trying (and failing) to compile the realtek driver into a usable .ko file :(

You lucky, lucky 8188-ers
by MrEngman » Mon May 28, 2012 4:47 pm
Hi Rahduke,

My adapter is a Micronet Wireless LAN USB Adapter Model No: SP907NS. Really tiny but works very well. It gives an identical output to your's using "lsusb".

I have both N and G wireless access points and it connects to both OK most of the time. It has proved a little difficult at times when connecting to the N hub but the Pi is only a few feet from the G hub and the N hub is down the other end of the house. So I put it down to interference of some sort along with our cordless phone system. But once connected though it doesn't show any problems at all.

I'm wondering about the fact that you have the wireless keyboard/mouse dongle in the other USB port. Not so much because of interference but maybe because of possible low voltage on the USB ports due to the current drawn by two wireless devices connected directly to the Pi. Although, having said that, I've seen my wifi working at really low voltages like 4.2v, quite a way below spec. I think you will find, however, that many people would suggest the issue is almost certainly due to low voltage on the USB power lines.

It sounds like you may not have a USB hub but I would suggest if you can borrow a powered hub just for testing and plug one of the devices into the hub, probably the keyboard/mouse dongle, or even plug both devices into the hub and see how that behaves.

I suggest plugging both devices into the hub because not all powered hubs behave as I think they should and don't help resolve these sorts of issues. I have 2 powered hubs. One, an old Belkin F5U224 4 port hub, that draws no current from the USB port which is what I would expect and the one I prefer using. The other one, a new Logik L4THUB10 4 port hub, draws substantial current from the host port which I think is not the way a real powered hub should behave and certainly doesn't help if you're trying to reduce the current drawn from the Pi USB ports to try and alleviate voltage level problems.

I can see no real reason why your wifi shouldn't work and I can understand why you're not using a hub, but I think you should at least try and test with a hub if you can.

Hopefully this load of waffle will provide a way forward and enable you to get your wifi up and running successfully.

MrEngman
by MrEngman » Mon May 28, 2012 6:14 pm
Alexeames wrote:

I had some issues getting the script to run - that was because lowercase letter l and number 1 look almost the same in both the instructions and the system font. Perhaps an explanatory note might make people aware of this? Took me several minutes to twig. :lol:

p.s. If I want to move to a different WiFi router elsewhere, what files do I need to edit with new SSID and password? Or is there more to it than that?

Thank you Alexeames,

Glad to hear I was of some assistance.

I presume the confusion with letter l and number 1 is primarily with the filenames? Is this in Linux or Windows. Maybe changing the font would help. They look fairy different to me with the font I have on my Pi. Certainly more different than viewing the file in Windows where I tend to always user Courier New font.

To change to a different router you should only need to change the file "/etc/network/interfaces". You will need to edit it as root so use the command "sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces". nano is a fairly basic text editor. If you prefer a different editor then use that. After changing to the new SIDD and PASSWORD type cntl-X to terminate the editor. It will ask if you want to save the file. Answer Y (yes) and then Enter to quit the editor.

You will need to change two lines:

wpa-ssid "NETWORK SSID"
and
wpa-psk "NETWORK PASSWORD"

Change NETWORK SIDD, your current SIDD, to the new one, and NETWORK PASSWORD to the new password. The quotation marks need to be there.

After editing and saving the file you will then need to restart the wireless adapter. Use the command "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart".

Your Pi should then connect to the new router.

If you need to connect to a router using MAC address filtering then you will need the MAC address of your wifi adapter.

You can find this by executing the command "ifconfig". This will display among other things the MAC address, "HWaddr" and the IP it is using, "Inet addr:".
by Kernel » Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 pm
alexeames wrote:So, yes, it works on the Edimax.
Thanks - just ordered mine :D
by alexeames » Mon May 28, 2012 7:20 pm
Kernel wrote:
alexeames wrote:So, yes, it works on the Edimax.
Thanks - just ordered mine :D

I can't guarantee signal strength, but for my location, it works. Hope it works for you too. :D
by alexeames » Mon May 28, 2012 7:29 pm
MrEngman wrote:
Thank you Alexeames,

Glad to hear I was of some assistance.

I presume the confusion with letter l and number 1 is primarily with the filenames?

Yes specifically when trying to run the script.

install-rtl8188cus.sh when viewed in Notepad on windows or in my SSH client, the l is virtually indistinguishable from 1 because of the font used (well it was to me for several minutes anyway :o
Notepad
l.GIF
From notepad
l.GIF (1.66 KiB) Viewed 7129 times

Tunnelier
l2.GIF
From tunnelier
l2.GIF (1.38 KiB) Viewed 7129 times

Of course, it might have turned out differently if I was doing it the way you expected. :D
Press CTRL 0 (zero) to see these at the size I was working at. They are bigger in this post.
by jackpeters125 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:48 pm
Thanks so much for this! made setting up my Edimax EW-7811Un adaptor so easy. Saved me a lot of time.
by MrEngman » Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 pm
jackpeters125 wrote:Thanks so much for this! made setting up my Edimax EW-7811Un adaptor so easy. Saved me a lot of time.

No problem. Glad to be able to help.

MrEngman
by Hedge » Tue May 29, 2012 6:55 pm
Thanks for the script. Edimax EW-7811Un now up and running. Although a power supply swap also seemed to help!
by le4thab » Tue May 29, 2012 7:23 pm
would this work with a tp link addaptor if i were to change the script too look for the 3 relevent (eg ar9271.fw ect).
i understand that this would not work with the tp link usb adaptor out of the box because of a different chipset but do you think this would be possible?
i realy do hope so because i have spent soooooooooo loooooooonnnnnnnng trying to get this usb wifi adaptor to work.
Regards
James
by rahduke » Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 pm
MrEngman wrote:Hi Rahduke,

My adapter is a Micronet Wireless LAN USB Adapter Model No: SP907NS. Really tiny but works very well. It gives an identical output to your's using "lsusb".

I have both N and G wireless access points and it connects to both OK most of the time. It has proved a little difficult at times when connecting to the N hub but the Pi is only a few feet from the G hub and the N hub is down the other end of the house. So I put it down to interference of some sort along with our cordless phone system. But once connected though it doesn't show any problems at all.

I'm wondering about the fact that you have the wireless keyboard/mouse dongle in the other USB port. Not so much because of interference but maybe because of possible low voltage on the USB ports due to the current drawn by two wireless devices connected directly to the Pi. Although, having said that, I've seen my wifi working at really low voltages like 4.2v, quite a way below spec. I think you will find, however, that many people would suggest the issue is almost certainly due to low voltage on the USB power lines.

It sounds like you may not have a USB hub but I would suggest if you can borrow a powered hub just for testing and plug one of the devices into the hub, probably the keyboard/mouse dongle, or even plug both devices into the hub and see how that behaves.

I suggest plugging both devices into the hub because not all powered hubs behave as I think they should and don't help resolve these sorts of issues. I have 2 powered hubs. One, an old Belkin F5U224 4 port hub, that draws no current from the USB port which is what I would expect and the one I prefer using. The other one, a new Logik L4THUB10 4 port hub, draws substantial current from the host port which I think is not the way a real powered hub should behave and certainly doesn't help if you're trying to reduce the current drawn from the Pi USB ports to try and alleviate voltage level problems.

I can see no real reason why your wifi shouldn't work and I can understand why you're not using a hub, but I think you should at least try and test with a hub if you can.

Hopefully this load of waffle will provide a way forward and enable you to get your wifi up and running successfully.

MrEngman

MrEngmann, thanks for your continued tips. I've tried using a powered hub (couldn't tell if it was drawing current from the USB port) with no success either. I checked the voltage from the wall and its pushing the full 5V I've also tried removing all other USB devices from the equation and SSH'd in...no luck. I'm hoping with every fiber of my being that its a router issue, because my other RTL8187 wifi card doesn't connect either despite loading the correct drivers. I've gotten pretty far with your script, the drivers are loaded, the wifi card scans but returns multiple DHCP errors finally spitting out an error that's something like "There are no more available leases in this DHCP group" which doesn't add up because i can use the adapter in my laptop, on my desktop, and on both my other HTPCs. So I have a brand new Wireless N router arriving today by coincidence, going to try again tonight and hopefully have success. Thanks
by rahduke » Tue May 29, 2012 10:09 pm
UPDATE: IT WORKS!!! Switched out my router from an old WRT54G to a new Cisco Linksys E1200 and the script worked 1st time through!! MrEngmann Thank you so much for all your help! I've been waiting over a year for this day :P :P :P