Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters


 
1148 posts   Page 5 of 46   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 46
by Reider » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 pm
I use the Edimax 7800UN and the first driver/script worked brilliantly until I performed an RPi-Update, at which point the WiFi stopped working again. I used the last update from this page, the one that only needs the .sh file and this stopped both my WiFi and my wired connection from working. I tried it again and the same thing. Puhleeeeze consider setting all released versions so we can turn down the RPi update, I`d already done mine and had to sit and watch it try to do it again. I even wondered if this was the problem or part of it at one point.

Oh well, these things happen. Their just happened to be a squeeze Alpha out for RPi so I gave that a whirl. Wired Connection works perfectly, WiFi no way Jose. But the setup is quick to install, after the first boot it's really quick to boot and it runs both well and fast, felt more like a beta in the final stages. Unless it's mislabeled because I heard it "could" even be released by this weekend. Again it's an Alpha so don`t rush off to try it, secondly the Edimax isn`t natively supported on it just now.

For the moment I`ve put back the first release that worked with my WiFi but if this Alpha gets released I can see me putting up with the wired only connection until we can sort it. It's too fast and smooth to miss out on. Not to mention the semi auto setup for SSH, filling out the empty space on the SD Card etc..... Anyway, I`m back up and running but dare not upgrade the RPi firmware just yet. I notice their were changes but for me it`s not worth going through it all again this week if the Wheeze version gets released.

It`s a pity we don`t have a perpetual edit. Because several Android threads I use regularly put new releases on the 1st post, they often make a noted post on the second one to reserve it too. Then just keep adding dates for revisions. So you carry on reading say page 32 which is the up to date one but when you want to change your ROM on the phone you go collect it from page 1, using the correct date and phone, since more than one model is listed. I realise that isn`t possible here. Thanks for working on this some more, just bear in mind the Debian Wheeze version which may come out soon.

Steve
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:00 pm
by alexeames » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:48 pm
Reider wrote:It`s a pity we don`t have a perpetual edit. Because several Android threads I use regularly put new releases on the 1st post,


The way round that might be to host it elsewhere on a blog page or something that does have perpetual edit. But that would have to be thought about in advance and linked to on page 1.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2054
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by Phooto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 am
Try as I might with a fresh Debian install and the new script, I can't get it to work. The RPI update all happens, and lsusb shows the device, but ifconfig only shows Eth0 and the loopback? connections, not WLAN0.

It all runs through, asks for my SSID and passwrd, all fine.

Very frustrating.

Have done this via SSH and using a monitor /keyboard, all on fresh Debian installs.

Feels like it's so close, I'm a Linux newbie, so a bit lost here!
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:25 am
by texy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 am
...like I said a few posts back, the 'latest' script does not work - not thats its the fault or MrEngman ;)
You need his first version, but with the rpi-update stage taking out.

Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2316
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England
by Phooto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 am
OK, thanks, will try again and report back...
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:25 am
by arnaudgp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:39 am
I got my Netgear N150 working with the new version of the driver that MrEngman built recently that's working with the latest firmware (after an rpi-update).

The new driver is available on the wiki page under the 'Micronet SP907NS' entry (but works for any RTL8188CUS based adapter). The driver's name will need changing back to 8192cu.tar.gz though as that's what the install script is expecting.

Wiki page: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#Working_USB_Wifi_Adapters

Also, note that if you've tried the script a few times whilst trying to get it working, it adds a new line each time to the following 3 files, so you'll need to edit those to remove the duplicate entries.
Code: Select all
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
/etc/modules

Good luck!
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 pm
by MrEngman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:26 pm
arnaudgp wrote:I got my Netgear N150 working with the new version of the driver that MrEngman built recently that's working with the latest firmware (after an rpi-update).

The new driver is available on the wiki page under the 'Micronet SP907NS' entry (but works for any RTL8188CUS based adapter). The driver's name will need changing back to 8192cu.tar.gz though as that's what the install script is expecting.

Wiki page: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#Working_USB_Wifi_Adapters

Also, note that if you've tried the script a few times whilst trying to get it working, it adds a new line each time to the following 3 files, so you'll need to edit those to remove the duplicate entries.
Code: Select all
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
/etc/modules

Good luck!


Good to hear all is working.

Sounds like you are updating the driver on a card the wifi was working on until it broke after running rpi-update. Is that correct?

There is certainly no need to change any file name to get the script to work correctly if you follow the instructions for installing the driver as the script is only intended to be used to install the driver on a newly generated SD card.

The script is not intended to be used to add an updated driver to an SD card that already has had the wifi installed and running and has then broken after a software update. As it says on the Wiki page you point to the updated driver is for manual installation.

If you start with a newly made SD card with no wifi driver installed then this driver will, however, be automatically loaded as part of the install process. Depending on whether you have a wired internet connection or not you may need to download some additional files as detailed in the instructions and add them to the SD card before running the installation.

To update the driver you only need to download it, untar it and then run the commands from the directory where the untared file is.
Code: Select all
sudo install -p -m 644 8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
sudo depmod -a
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
This should get the updated driver installed and running.

And as you say running the script more than once screws up the files you mention and they will need editing by hand to restore them to the correct state.

Must do something about that.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by MrEngman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:58 pm
Anyone having problems - can you report the output of command
Code: Select all
uname -a


Looks like the Pi firmware has been upgraded again since Sunday so may be the drivers need recompiling again..

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by alexeames » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 pm
MrEngman wrote:Anyone having problems - can you report the output of command
Code: Select all
uname -a


Looks like the Pi firmware has been upgraded again since Sunday so may be the drivers need recompiling again..

MrEngman


MrEngman - how long does that compile take? I did FFMPEG last week and it took 3.5 hours on the pi (mind you it did create nearly half a million files in 200 Megs). I've got at least one wifi working SD card that's not getting any more firmware updates until they're absolutely essential.
(3.1.9+ #101 PREEMPT Mon Jun 4
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2054
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by MrEngman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:46 pm
alexeames wrote:
MrEngman wrote:Anyone having problems - can you report the output of command
Code: Select all
uname -a


Looks like the Pi firmware has been upgraded again since Sunday so may be the drivers need recompiling again..

MrEngman


MrEngman - how long does that compile take? I did FFMPEG last week and it took 3.5 hours on the pi (mind you it did create nearly half a million files in 200 Megs). I've got at least one wifi working SD card that's not getting any more firmware updates until they're absolutely essential.
(3.1.9+ #101 PREEMPT Mon Jun 4


The driver compile only takes may be 10 minutes. Compiling the kernel is another matter at least 6-7hrs. It's a bit of a pain because the driver needs data from 2 files in the kernel which are generated when it is compiled. If the kernel was compiled at source and those 2 files were part of the update it would make life so much easier.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by Phooto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm
Still struggling here.

Fresh Debian 19-04, run your script by

sudo /boot/install-rtl8188cus-20120611.sh

it all runs, updates, reboots, but Edimax module fails to switch on and ifup wlan0 reports it as not being bound. ifconfig shows only the loopback and Eth0 interfaces.

uname -a reports :

3.1.9+ #110 PREEMPT Wed Jun 13 11:41:58 BST

Thanks for your help, but this is so difficult!
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:25 am
by Phooto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:04 pm
...and I've tried installing using a KB/display and SSH. Same problems really.
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:25 am
by MrEngman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:01 pm
Sorry for those of you having problems.

To check the latest driver I've just generated a new SD card and run the script to install the wifi driver. The current driver is working OK with the latest update from this morning.

Driver tar file: 8192cu-20120611.tar.gz
Is working with kernel versions:
Code: Select all
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #110 PREEMPT Wed Jun 13 11:41:58 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #107 PREEMPT Sun Jun 10 15:57:56 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux


Driver tar file 8192cu-20120607.tar.gz
Is working with kernel versions:
Code: Select all
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #101 PREEMPT Mon Jun 4 17:19:44 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

To update a driver manually is pretty straight forward. Download and untar the driver. Then from the directory where the untared driver is run the commands
Code: Select all
install -p -m 644 8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
depmod -a
/etc/init.d/networking restart

NOTE: I have found that if you update just before a new version is generated you may find that you need a newer version of the driver. e.g. If you have version #101 but updated to this version just before version #107 was released you may need the driver that works with version #107 rather than the version shown as working with #101. I think a problem with synchronising the kernel updates and rpi-updates that needs looking at as it doesn't help with maintaining a working driver.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by Reider » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:38 pm
I think I`ll stay with the earlier install for now and not perform an RPi-Update. See how things turn out with the Wheezy release. Then try and get the Edimax 7800UN working in that. The Wheezy release feels so smooth and rapid it's worth waiting for. Thanks for your ongoing help,

Steve
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:00 pm
by MrEngman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 pm
Phooto wrote:Still struggling here.

Fresh Debian 19-04, run your script by

sudo /boot/install-rtl8188cus-20120611.sh

it all runs, updates, reboots, but Edimax module fails to switch on and ifup wlan0 reports it as not being bound. ifconfig shows only the loopback and Eth0 interfaces.

uname -a reports :

3.1.9+ #110 PREEMPT Wed Jun 13 11:41:58 BST

Thanks for your help, but this is so difficult!


It can be really frustating at times I know. I presume you're installing with a wired network. I'll try that and see what happens.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by MrEngman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:36 pm
texy wrote:...like I said a few posts back, the 'latest' script does not work - not thats its the fault or MrEngman ;)
You need his first version, but with the rpi-update stage taking out.

Texy


Which script is that?
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by Phooto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:37 pm
Thanks. Yes, I've been trying wired. I have tried it with and without keyboard - so SSH and keyboard/monitor. Neither have worked.

I've even tried manual install as elsewhere on this forum, no luck there either.

The latest script seems good as it downloads the appropriate drivers, so using only one file, there's less to go wrong.

My application depends on having WiFi, so this is fairly crucial!

Being new to Linux, it's driving me slightly mad - I thought hacking the Windows registry was bad!
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:25 am
by MrEngman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:55 pm
For those people looking for the latest script it is on the Raspbery Pi Wiki here. along with the instructions which you should read before doing the installation.

Look for the Micronet SP907NS, 11N Wireless LAN USB Adapter

You only need the instructions and the script. You do not need to download the updated driver. If it is required the script will download it automatically.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by texy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:20 pm
Hmm. Can't see a script, just a big list of devices?

Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2316
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England
by texy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm
MrEngman wrote:
texy wrote:...like I said a few posts back, the 'latest' script does not work - not thats its the fault or MrEngman ;)
You need his first version, but with the rpi-update stage taking out.

Texy


Which script is that?

The one mentioned in this post :
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6256&start=50#p88200

I must say I'm finding it all very confusing. What I mean there are so many updates and features that I want but they are spread over various firmwares or distros, etc. what I'd like is
The firmware that speeds up the SD speeds
The firmware (?) that drives the wifi dongles mentioned in this thread
The debian wheezy recently released.
I'm sure it will come in time.....
Cheers
Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2316
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England
by MrEngman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:29 pm
Reider wrote:I use the Edimax 7800UN and the first driver/script worked brilliantly until I performed an RPi-Update, at which point the WiFi stopped working again. I used the last update from this page, the one that only needs the .sh file and this stopped both my WiFi and my wired connection from working. I tried it again and the same thing. Puhleeeeze consider setting all released versions so we can turn down the RPi update, I`d already done mine and had to sit and watch it try to do it again. I even wondered if this was the problem or part of it at one point.

Steve


If you've run the script on a card that has already been set up with the wifi then I'm not suprised it's broken. That's a punishment for not reading the instructions. ;)

The script as it currently stands is only for adding wireless to a newly created SD card that has not had the wireless previously installed.

Running the script on the same SD card more than once will add duplicate entries in 3 files. These files will need editing to remove the references to the wireless driver before running the script again.

The files are
Code: Select all
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
/etc/modules


Or you can fix the files by remove all duplicate entries referencing the wifi driver except one. The duplicate entries screw things up some. But do not run the script again.

I've just run some tests to see what happens if the script is run more than once on the same SD card. Using a wired ethernet connection I ran the script a second time and when the script terminated the Pi shutdown and would not restart. I powered off and back on and the Pi still would not start - just a blank screen - killed the installation completely.

Using a wireless connection, which requires some additional driver files to be copied to the SD card, the script finished and this time the Pi rebooted and restarted, however no wireless connection. I did not check if the wired interface worked. However, as I mentioned earlier editing the three files that get duplicate entries added to remove the extra entries and then rebooting and the wifi was back up and working.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by MrEngman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 am
texy wrote:Hmm. Can't see a script, just a big list of devices?

Texy

That's right, a list of devices that work with the Pi and some that have been found to create problems.

Anyway as I said
MrEngman wrote:Look for the Micronet SP907NS, 11N Wireless LAN USB Adapter
In the text refering to that device there is a link to the instructions and latest script. But as you don't appear able to find them the instructions are here and the latest script is here

Those are direct links to the current instructions and script, however, to ensure you get the latest instructions and script use the links on the wiki page.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
by texy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 am
Thanks - apologies for spoon feeding ;)

Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2316
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England
by olibanum » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:24 am
If that spoon holds a nice piece of raspberry pi then its all good :)
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 pm
by texy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:45 pm
MrEngman wrote:Sorry for those of you having problems.

To check the latest driver I've just generated a new SD card and run the script to install the wifi driver. The current driver is working OK with the latest update from this morning.

Driver tar file: 8192cu-20120611.tar.gz
Is working with kernel versions:
Code: Select all
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #110 PREEMPT Wed Jun 13 11:41:58 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #107 PREEMPT Sun Jun 10 15:57:56 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux


Driver tar file 8192cu-20120607.tar.gz
Is working with kernel versions:
Code: Select all
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #101 PREEMPT Mon Jun 4 17:19:44 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

To update a driver manually is pretty straight forward. Download and untar the driver. Then from the directory where the untared driver is run the commands
Code: Select all
install -p -m 644 8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
depmod -a
/etc/init.d/networking restart

NOTE: I have found that if you update just before a new version is generated you may find that you need a newer version of the driver. e.g. If you have version #101 but updated to this version just before version #107 was released you may need the driver that works with version #107 rather than the version shown as working with #101. I think a problem with synchronising the kernel updates and rpi-updates that needs looking at as it doesn't help with maintaining a working driver.


Hi,
I,m not sure how you got the kernel versions above, but if I use
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
I get
version 319515 (released)

Do we need a newer driver, as your 20120611 one above doesn't appear to work ?
I have only run your 20120611 script once, so I know there isn't any duplicate entries.

Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2316
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England