Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

1148 posts   Page 33 of 46   1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 46
by PeeWee » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:48 am
Thank you for this setup procedure.

I am now wireless and no cables running across the floor much to my lovely wife's delight.

I am using a Belkin F7D2101 v1 wifi usb adapter. This adapter uses a RTL8192SU driver which was fetched and loaded during the install.

First attempt did not work, i.e. usb adapter not plugged in until the script says plug it in. So I did a reboot with usb wifi adapter plugged in and the script again. The second time the RTL8192SU driver was installed, my wifi network found, SSID and password entered. Another reboot without the cable connected and the wifi adapter fired up without any problems.

Regards

PeeWee
by Kernel » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:29 am
Hi,

Has been a while since I read this topic.

I have this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811 ... =de_a_smtd

Will this work fine with the latest Raspbian build and this script? I seem to recall some issues happened due to the firmware update (back when this topic had only a few pages!) - are those resolved now?

Thanks,
by MrEngman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 am
PeeWee wrote:Thank you for this setup procedure.

I am now wireless and no cables running across the floor much to my lovely wife's delight.

I am using a Belkin F7D2101 v1 wifi usb adapter. This adapter uses a RTL8192SU driver which was fetched and loaded during the install.

First attempt did not work, i.e. usb adapter not plugged in until the script says plug it in. So I did a reboot with usb wifi adapter plugged in and the script again. The second time the RTL8192SU driver was installed, my wifi network found, SSID and password entered. Another reboot without the cable connected and the wifi adapter fired up without any problems.

Regards

PeeWee

Hmm. Interesting.

This script does not install the driver for this device but for devices based on the RTL8188CUS device.

I think the driver must already be installed in the image you used and the script just configured the other files needed.

All I can say is you were rather lucky.
Last edited by MrEngman on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra
by MrEngman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:00 am
Kernel wrote:Hi,

Has been a while since I read this topic.

I have this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811 ... =de_a_smtd

Will this work fine with the latest Raspbian build and this script? I seem to recall some issues happened due to the firmware update (back when this topic had only a few pages!) - are those resolved now?

Thanks,

This works with all images provided there is a compatible driver file available. Yes, the script installs this device on quite a few different images including the latest wheezy raspbian image.

As the driver is not included in the image and so is not automatically updated when a new image is made you always run the risk of the wifi stopping working when you do a software update. You will then need to install an updated driver which can be done using the script. If you have access to a wired internet connection you just need to run the script to update the driver. If you do not have a wired connection available you will need to download the updated driver and script on some other system and copy them to the SD in the Pi and then run the new script.

When you run the script it will tell you what you need to do like downloading a new driver or script if needed.
by JohnT » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:35 pm
i have successfully setup my Edimax EW-7811UN with your script. Thank you! You did a great job. But, I have the following questions:

My home network has a WPA2 secured password, MAC address filtering, and SSID turned OFF. I entered the MAC address of the dongle into my router's list of allowed computers, but when I told the script to search for my SSID and it said it cold not be detected. The only way to connect was to enable SSID and proceed from there. I am writing this from my raspberry pi that is connected to the internet through my dongle, can I turn disable my SSID and still remain connected?
by MrEngman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:55 pm
JohnT wrote:i have successfully setup my Edimax EW-7811UN with your script. Thank you! You did a great job. But, I have the following questions:

My home network has a WPA2 secured password, MAC address filtering, and SSID turned OFF. I entered the MAC address of the dongle into my router's list of allowed computers, but when I told the script to search for my SSID and it said it cold not be detected. The only way to connect was to enable SSID and proceed from there. I am writing this from my raspberry pi that is connected to the internet through my dongle, can I turn disable my SSID and still remain connected?

There are ways to connect to a network with hidden ssid but not using the basic setup made by the script. I haven't looked at using hidden ssids at all. You could take a look at using wpa_supplicant or one of the network managers for linux.
by iamcrawfy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:47 pm
Hi, just a note in case this helps others.

I was struggling to get the script to allow me to use my Edimax EW-7811Un wifi dongle. I followed all the instructions but kept getting 'wlan0 No scan results'. Turned out it was a power supply problem, which I briefly read about somewhere else. I had one usb hub (unpowered) connected to one RPi USB socket (which had the keyboard and mouse on it), and the other RPi socked I left free for the wifi dongle. I found that if I removed the mouse before running the script the edimax would light up and flash. On a restart it managed to then connect to the net. With the mouse connected (just an basic amazon optical), the edimax sometimes flashed a bit but then went off, which resulted in the RPi not being able to see it and the script then failing.

Thanks to all the posters, espec MrEngman for the script.
by Ed Raket » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:15 am
I just did a "sudo apt-get update/upgrade" and the wifi stopt working. So i ran the latest version of the install script, and it returns=
Code: Select all
Unrecognised software version: Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #102 PREEMT Sat Sep 1 01:00:50 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Downloading the latest script.

The script you're using is the latest version.

Aborting the rtl8188cus installation script.

Is there a new rtl8188 driver for this linux version, or am i missing something?
by MrEngman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 am
Ed Raket wrote:I just did a "sudo apt-get update/upgrade" and the wifi stopt working. So i ran the latest version of the install script, and it returns=
Unrecognised software version: Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #102 PREEMT Sat Sep 1 01:00:50 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Is there a new rtl8188 driver for this linux version, or am i missing something?

That version IS covered by the current, latest, script.

Check your HOME directory, NOT the /boot directory, for any copies of the script and delete them if there are. It appears that if there is a copy in the home directory when the running script downloads the new latest version the newly downloaded version is renamed and so the running script compares itself against the one that was in your home directory before the download which is likely a copy of the old version.

Run the script again and it should be OK. And when it asks to update or add a new adapter choose Update.

The newer versions of the script have been updated to handle this issue.

MrEngman
by markyd » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:22 pm
MrEngman wrote:
markyd wrote:OK this time we made a lot more progress and the initial set up completed and I was asked if wanted to upgrade some stuff .... before I did that I did an ifconfig and wlan0 did exist and it did have an ip address.

Did you exit the script to run ifconfig or open another terminal window? There is no need as the script displays the output of the command ifconfig when a connection is made before it asks if you want to exit or continue and do the updates.
Preparing to replace sysvinit-utils 2.88dsf-22.1 (using .../sysvinit-utils_2.88dsf-31_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement sysvinit-utils ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up sysvinit-utils (2.88dsf-31) ...

That's where it stopped .. had a cup of coffee and then it was still at that stage, so rebooted. During the reboot log it mentioned it could not bring up wlan0 and ifconfig did not show wlan0.

Did I reboot too soon or had the script hung?

I have seen installations fail during the update/upgrade. Sometimes the download site cannot be accessed for some reason. I've even had the kernel crash. If the script gets stuck try cntl-C and if that fails cntl-alt-del will usually get the pi to reboot. I have seen instances where the keyboard appears totally unusable except for cntl-alt del. Don't just power off and back on again. Normally I've seen the wifi come up as normal after events like these as the basic wifi setup is complete. The only additional thing the script will usually do after this point is possibly update the driver to the latest version if rpi-update is run.

However, there is an exception. With one version of wheezy I was testing, but not the very latest, when it ran apt-get upgrade it updated the Pi's firmware so after this type of upgrade the script will tell you you need to reboot and re-run the script again, using the upgrade option to upgrade the driver to match the new kernel version loaded by apt-get upgrade. This may now be becoming a standard feature when upgrading any version with apt-get. Re-running the script will install the version of driver to suit the new kernel version running and then continue on to complete the firmware and software upgrade

Be careful when interrupting upgrades. They may not necessarily have failed or hung. Especially for rpi-update. I have seen this take almost 20 minutes to do an update and there is no output to the screen during most of this time. Check if the green OK LED is flickering at all. If it is then it probably hasn't hung. But even the LED can appear to go to sleep for fairly lengthy periods.

I would suggest running the script again but this time when it asks if you want to Upgrade or Add a new adapter select Upgrade, U key. Generally the script can upgrade/re-install the drivers if an update causes the installed version to fail. That is provided the script and driver is upto date with the latest kernel version.

MrEngman

I was actually accessing the Pi via SSH to run the script, it failed at that point to respond to a CTRL-C but I had raw keyboard access to rebooted cleanly from there. Will now go away and do an upgrade and do as you suggest ... leave it alone for an hour :-) should be easy as I am at work and SSH into it.

Thanks for all your efforts.
by markyd » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm
WEY HEY ... it works :-)

Here the output of a ifconfig after a reboot.

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 80:1f:02:59:12:15
inet addr:192.168.0.111 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:354 errors:0 dropped:373 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:42052 (41.0 KiB) TX bytes:1028 (1.0 KiB)

I didn't do much just a sudo apt-get update / upgrade and run the script using the U upgrade option.

Many thanks for all the help,
by MrEngman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:51 pm
markyd wrote:WEY HEY ... it works :-)

Here the output of a ifconfig after a reboot.

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 80:1f:02:59:12:15
inet addr:192.168.0.111 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:354 errors:0 dropped:373 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:42052 (41.0 KiB) TX bytes:1028 (1.0 KiB)

I didn't do much just a sudo apt-get update / upgrade and run the script using the U upgrade option.

Many thanks for all the help,

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear you're up and running with your wifi.

MrEngman
by dom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm
I've pulled in the rtl8192cu driver into the official kernel tree. It seems to work for my Netgear N150 dongle: NetGear, Inc. WNA1000M 802.11bgn [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
I've also disabled building of the rtlwifi driver which conflicts. I'm not sure if that provides anything the rtl8192cu doesn't support.

So, the blacklist of rtl8192cu shouldn't be needed, nor should the 8192cu added to /etc/modules.

If MrEngman can check that the source I am using is okay, and adjust his script to work with the latest firmware, it should mean that firmware updates no longer break your wifi.

We're also planning a wifi friendly raspbian image soon, which includes a preinstalled wpagui, so you should be able to get a suitable wifi dongle working out of the box, without a wired network connection.
by asb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:14 pm
I've updated the bleeding edge apt component with this firmware viewtopic.php?t=12170&f=66
by Ed Raket » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:16 pm
MrEngman wrote:
Ed Raket wrote:I just did a "sudo apt-get update/upgrade" and the wifi stopt working. So i ran the latest version of the install script, and it returns=

That version IS covered by the current, latest, script.

Check your HOME directory, NOT the /boot directory, for any copies of the script and delete them if there are. It appears that if there is a copy in the home directory when the running script downloads the new latest version the newly downloaded version is renamed and so the running script compares itself against the one that was in your home directory before the download which is likely a copy of the old version.

Run the script again and it should be OK. And when it asks to update or add a new adapter choose Update.

The newer versions of the script have been updated to handle this issue.

MrEngman

The script run's but for some reason i can not select update (anymore), it just asks me to insert the adapter after witch the Pi instantly reboots :shock: I have downloaded the latest script, and there are no copies of the script elseware. I Used the script many times before, but after the latest "kernel" update it doesnt work anymore :(

Any ideas?
by Dweeber » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Ed Raket wrote:The script run's but for some reason i can not select update (anymore), it just asks me to insert the adapter after witch the Pi instantly reboots :shock: I have downloaded the latest script, and there are no copies of the script elseware. I Used the script many times before, but after the latest "kernel" update it doesnt work anymore :(

Any ideas?

If inserting the adapter causes the RPi to reboot, chances are you are having a power issue. Are you using a Powered Hub, or directly to the RPi?
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com
by MrEngman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm
asb wrote:I've updated the bleeding edge apt component with this firmware viewtopic.php?t=12170&f=66

Thanks for the update.
by MrEngman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 pm
dom wrote:I've pulled in the rtl8192cu driver into the official kernel tree. It seems to work for my Netgear N150 dongle: NetGear, Inc. WNA1000M 802.11bgn [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
I've also disabled building of the rtlwifi driver which conflicts. I'm not sure if that provides anything the rtl8192cu doesn't support.

So, the blacklist of rtl8192cu shouldn't be needed, nor should the 8192cu added to /etc/modules.

If MrEngman can check that the source I am using is okay, and adjust his script to work with the latest firmware, it should mean that firmware updates no longer break your wifi.

We're also planning a wifi friendly raspbian image soon, which includes a preinstalled wpagui, so you should be able to get a suitable wifi dongle working out of the box, without a wired network connection.

That's good to hear. Should stop problems with code updates breaking the RTl8188CUS based adapters. However, I'm not sure that removing the rtlwifi driver will not cause problems for others. It does look as though it includes code for several other types/families of Realtek adapters as well. I had hoped the included driver could be fixed and have tried looking at it myself but Realtek don't publish any tech docs, just like Broadcom, so it's not easy and my knowledge of linux is very limited.

Anyway I'll check things out and make adjustments as necessary.

MrEngman
by SiriusHardware » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:08 pm
Mr Engman, just adding my voice to the chorus of thank-yous in this thread - I'm barely a few hours into ownership of a Raspberry Pi and it was already becoming very obvious that I was going to need an internet connection to get necessary updates, missing packages etc, onto the device

I'm starting with absolutely zero knowledge of Linux and yet your script and all the comprehensive and understandable information you've written to go with it have enabled me to get my Edimax 7811UN wireless dongle connected - everything worked exactly like it was supposed to, first time - thanks for all the hard work you've put into creating and updating your package - absolutely fantastic, thanks.
by silent__thought » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm
I'm tried the script a week or so ago and the blue light never came on on my Edimax EW-7811Un. So I decided to try and understand what the script was doing and create a list of manual steps to get it working. I prefer to understand the details over running a script anyway, unless the script is an apt-get call. ;)

I feel like I'm THIS close but ifup wlan0 is returning this output:

rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
WEXT: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface
Failed to bring up wlan0.

I don't see any error messages in dmesg.

My kernel version is:
#102 PREEMPT Sat Sep 1 01:00:50 BST 2012

Here are the steps I've followed, I'd appreciate any tips. Thank you!

• Ensure some things are installed.

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install wireless-tools wpasupplicant firmware-realtek

• Download compiled driver.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-latest.tar.gz
    As mentioned on forum post: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=12168&p=135281#p131800
  • Unzip and install the driver.

tar -zxvpf 8192cu-latest.tar.gz
    install -m 644 ./8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/

• Blacklist the built-in driver which fails to load anyway.
    Tell the new module to load every time, even when the dongle isn't plugged in.

echo "blacklist rtl8192cu" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    echo "8192cu" >> /etc/modules

• Append to /etc/network/interfaces

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    # wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    pre-up wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B

• Edit /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    # ctrl_interface_group=0
    # ap_scan=2

network={
    ssid="My Network"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    proto=WPA2
    # proto=RSN
    pairwise=CCMP
    group=CCMP
    # psk="my_password"
    psk=e3f47ba69e6cf7a10b4f4fb745d6a49a07a65f2a272593a45877772890b55b14
    }

• Optionally generate a secure psk for the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

wpa_passphrase <ssid> [passphrase]
@JoshuaPoehls on Twitter ♦ http://zduck.com
by dom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 pm
MrEngman wrote:However, I'm not sure that removing the rtlwifi driver will not cause problems for others. It does look as though it includes code for several other types/families of Realtek adapters as well.

Any driver in particular you are concerned about? The rtlwifi supports the following:
rtl8192ce - pcie
rtl8192se - pcie
rtl8192de - pcie
rtl8192cu - usb

We don't care about pcie. And I'd hope anything in the rtl8192cu driver is supported by our newer one.
by Ed Raket » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:39 pm
Dweeber wrote:
Ed Raket wrote:The script run's but for some reason i can not select update (anymore), it just asks me to insert the adapter after witch the Pi instantly reboots :shock: I have downloaded the latest script, and there are no copies of the script elseware. I Used the script many times before, but after the latest "kernel" update it doesnt work anymore :(

Any ideas?

If inserting the adapter causes the RPi to reboot, chances are you are having a power issue. Are you using a Powered Hub, or directly to the RPi?

Directly in the Pi, but it worked like this for months and i have a 1.2A switching power supply and modded polyfuses (copperwire). all changed after the "sudo apt-get update/upgrade" :?
by MrEngman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:43 pm
dom wrote:
MrEngman wrote:However, I'm not sure that removing the rtlwifi driver will not cause problems for others. It does look as though it includes code for several other types/families of Realtek adapters as well.

Any driver in particular you are concerned about? The rtlwifi supports the following:
rtl8192ce - pcie
rtl8192se - pcie
rtl8192de - pcie
rtl8192cu - usb

We don't care about pcie. And I'd hope anything in the rtl8192cu driver is supported by our newer one.

Nothing in particular. Should have checked more closely.
by rakeshpai » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:19 am
Firstly, thanks a ton Mr. Engman, not just for the script but also for the support you've been providing here.

I had set up my wifi (Edup EP-N9508) using your script a couple of weeks ago, and everything was fine. Today I did an rpi-update, and haven't been able to connect to the Pi since then. Using an ethernet cable (I don't have a screen, so this is all over SSH), I have since done an apt-get update & upgrade, and have re-run your script.

When I ran the script, it complained that it would need to re-download the script since it won't work with my firmware. It proceeded to download and re-run the script. Here's some pieces of the output:

The RTL8188CUS driver module is not installed.

You have 1 wifi adapter configured.
wlan0 is configured but is not installed.
The kernel version you are now using has the RTL8188CUS driver built in so now
there is no need to download and install a driver. The script will however
continue so you can configure the files to get you wifi operational.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter

The wifi adapter has been detected and is compatible with the RTL8188CUS driver.
The script will now continue and install the driver and configure the wifi.

Scanning networks using wlan0
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning.

The scan for wifi networks failed to find any networks.

Press any key to continue...

I used to have a little blue blinky LED light up before when I was using the Pi, but it hasn't been lighting up since the rpi-update. To clarify, the wifi micro-dongle is connected to the Pi through a powered USB hub and had been working all along, so this can't be a power related problem.

When I hit any key, it simply seems to be going into a loop trying to scan, failing and then asking me to press any key to continue. I've tried rebooting the Pi several times, and have tried running your script multiple times too, but it always ends up in that loop above. If it helps, when I Ctrl+C to get out of your script, my bash session is totally messed up too, with none of my keystrokes displaying anything. It still works though, at least enough for me to blindly issue another sudo shutdown -r 0.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
by MrEngman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:03 am
rakeshpai wrote:When I hit any key, it simply seems to be going into a loop trying to scan, failing and then asking me to press any key to continue. I've tried rebooting the Pi several times, and have tried running your script multiple times too, but it always ends up in that loop above. If it helps, when I Ctrl+C to get out of your script, my bash session is totally messed up too, with none of my keystrokes displaying anything. It still works though, at least enough for me to blindly issue another sudo shutdown -r 0.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

I'm not sure you are doing anything wrong. Could be the script. All my testing with the latest update has involved using the script to run updates and rpi-update, not run rpi-update then the script. Must check this out.

To fix your problem try the following commands
sudo rm /lib/modules/3.2.7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8192cu.ko
sudo depmod -a
sudo reboot
This will remove the old driver and should correctly re-register the new driver and hopefully it will then work. To fix the Ctrl-C problem if it happens again use the command "reset".

MrEngman