Monitor


21 posts
by jgearing » Fri May 18, 2012 5:50 am
Could any one give me the make and mdel of a smallish pc monitor the will definitly be OK with the PI
I bought a small telly with HDMI but the display is virtually unreadable.
I don't mind spending a few bob but want to make sure that it will work properly fisrt.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
JG

P.S are you sure this is a beginners forum? I cant understand the questions, never mind the answers.
Is there an absolute idiots forum?
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:33 pm
by ADAMPOKE111 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:05 am
I keep having the same problem. I can't find a decent HDMI monitor, but i'd sort of like one that's fairly cheap.


This totally defeats the object of the raspberry pi! It was meant to be a cheap £15 compiter that children can afford! Well it looks like it's not going to turn out that way! :x
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 pm
by babaracus » Fri May 18, 2012 6:46 am
I had a similar issue with an Alba 19" Full HD TV, the Pi and the TV negotiated a resolution that was un usable. You need to look through the forum or the wiki to find the section on editing the config.txt fie to force the TV to a suitable mode. Personnaly I use 'hdmi_mode=19' which sets it to 720 and is very usable. You may have to play with the overscan settings also if the screen does not fit on the monitor, again this is done in the config.txt file
Hope this helps
User avatar
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm
by jgearing » Fri May 18, 2012 7:25 am
I think I may have solved it. before packing up the telly to return it I thought I'd try using
the AV connection. This is at least usable, It's a bit Spectrumy and the graphics are not great but the text
is a lot larger and easily readable.It will do me to get started.
If I find anyting better later I'll rebox the telly and give it to er indoors for her birthday

Many thanks for your help, I'm sure I,ll be back often

JG
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:33 pm
by grumpyoldgit » Fri May 18, 2012 7:34 am
Just a thought.

Have you tried Cash Converters or one of the myriad of similar stores that have sprung up on the high street. Last time I looked our local branch has a number of PC monitors in stock. At least one of them had a DVI slot. The staff may not be that knowledgeable about their stock but have you been to PC World lately?
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by jamesh » Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 am
jgearing wrote:Could any one give me the make and mdel of a smallish pc monitor the will definitly be OK with the PI
I bought a small telly with HDMI but the display is virtually unreadable.
I don't mind spending a few bob but want to make sure that it will work properly fisrt.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
JG

P.S are you sure this is a beginners forum? I cant understand the questions, never mind the answers.
Is there an absolute idiots forum?


In what way is the display unreadable? At a guess I would say that the TV is running in a resolution that just looks crappy, but is capable of much better once the Pi is told to use a different resolution. Find out what rez your device is, then use the Wiki to edit the config.txt file (see here http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt) to set the rez you need.

We are planning a revamp of the forums soon, so there will be an absolute idiots forum!
Unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11780
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by jamesh » Fri May 18, 2012 8:07 am
ADAMPOKE111 wrote:I keep having the same problem. I can't find a decent HDMI monitor, but i'd sort of like one that's fairly cheap.


This totally defeats the object of the raspberry pi! It was meant to be a cheap £15 compiter that children can afford! Well it looks like it's not going to turn out that way! :x


It is a cheap £15 computer that children can afford. Why do you think it isn't turning out that way? Just because you have to buy a monitor? That you would have to buy with any other computer? Why can't you use your TV?

Cheap HDMI/DVI monitors can be found at Ebuyer.
Unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11780
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by jgearing » Fri May 18, 2012 8:17 am
Sorry I meant the text, i.e. menus and dropdowns was unreadable
I will look into your advice, thanks.

JG
P.S I think perhaps I will need a forum just for me labelled "educationally sub normal earwigs"
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:33 pm
by markb » Fri May 18, 2012 9:03 am
jgearing wrote:Sorry I meant the text, i.e. menus and dropdowns was unreadable
I will look into your advice, thanks.

JG
P.S I think perhaps I will need a forum just for me labelled "educationally sub normal earwigs"


JG, I'm sure you aren’t “educationally sub normal"! You're just new to the subject - we all were once. You have taken the bold step of buying a Pi during it's initial offering for developers. This tranche of Pis was intended for the techie community to get to grips with and iron out all those niggles and bugs before it goes out to school kids (the intended audience). By being a guinea-pig, especially one who is new to all this, you are asking the sort of questions that need to be answered.

we do know that the Pi can work very well with many TVs, but maybe not with yours, or not as it's currently been configured. Have a look at http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt, it may be a bit daunting but I'm sure there are some changes you can make to get a better picture on your telly.
User avatar
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 am
by bredman » Fri May 18, 2012 10:19 am
jgearing wrote:Sorry I meant the text, i.e. menus and dropdowns was unreadable

If it is fuzzy, then you may have a faulty cable.

If there is interference on the screen, then see the fix at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... VI_monitor

If the text is too small, then you could change the screen resolution (for example set hdmi_mode=19), see instructions at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_ConfigurationFile

Please let us know if the instructions are clear enough, we need comments from absolute novices.
Posts: 1413
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm
by mahjongg » Fri May 18, 2012 1:47 pm
If part of the picture (menu bar on the top of the screen) is invisible, you can try to set over-scan settings differently, for this, and more debugging see the wiki, here:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
by ADAMPOKE111 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:35 am
jamesh wrote:
ADAMPOKE111 wrote:I keep having the same problem. I can't find a decent HDMI monitor, but i'd sort of like one that's fairly cheap.


This totally defeats the object of the raspberry pi! It was meant to be a cheap £15 compiter that children can afford! Well it looks like it's not going to turn out that way! :x


It is a cheap £15 computer that children can afford. Why do you think it isn't turning out that way? Just because you have to buy a monitor? That you would have to buy with any other computer? Why can't you use your TV?

Cheap HDMI/DVI monitors can be found at Ebuyer.



Well most children don't have £100+ to spend on a monitor :x

And no my current monitor is VGA and my TV is DVI but I find DVI to confusing to use... Also we have 1 TV that's is always in use by soneone in my family...
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 pm
by jgearing » Sat May 19, 2012 7:13 am
Thank you all for your help'
I think I made a mistake in buying the cheapest TV I could find. It does not seem to respond to any instructions in the config apart from setting the margins. Mind you that was very useful.
However I am progressing slowly, I have managed to get rid of the login sequence, (never could see the point of that), managed to download and install claws (1/2 hr wasted because I forgot to connect the lan cable) I claim some excuse there as for some reason the password would not work when The lan cable was plugged in??????? and I forgot to reconnect. My main problem was that although clear instructions were given as to what to type in for various functions, nothing seemed to tell you WHERE to do the typing, I think perhaps you underestimate how dim some of us are.(well me that is) Anyway, inspite of all the cursing and cat kicking I'm really quite enjoying it all
Thanks again,

JG

P.S I'll be back!
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:33 pm
by drew.h » Sat May 19, 2012 10:52 pm
I tried using a 3.5in monitor, but text was unreadable ;o)

My 3 monitors are all VGA, so I spent all day looking at monitors with DVI and TVs with HDMI. It was a choice between a small £79 monitor in Comet or a £89 720P TV in Currys. Until I spotted the 1080P 23in 3D LG in Currys, found it a lot cheaper on line though. Not sure how I'm going to fit 4 screens on my desk yet.

I think the idea of the Raspberry Pi is its used in its simplest form, in which case you only need SSH and not a monitor. Nice to see the camera module is developing nicely. The other ribbon connection is for LCD panels, so hopefully cheap LCDs will be available soon.
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 pm
by JeremyF » Sun May 20, 2012 1:26 am
ADAMPOKE111 wrote:And no my current monitor is VGA and my TV is DVI but I find DVI to confusing to use... Also we have 1 TV that's is always in use by soneone in my family...


In what way is DVI confusing? You have a whole community of people on this forum for the sole purpose of educating young people so, go ahead, ask your question. I'm guessing it has something to do with DVI-D vs. DVI-I?
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:06 pm
by jgearing » Sun May 20, 2012 6:01 am
I solved the display problem by wandering into PC world with the pi and plugging it into various TVs and monitors until I found one that suited me. I fully expected to be thrown out but as is normal in that place I was totally ignored. Leaving their display stands in disarray I paid and left. They may not fall over themselves to help you in that place but they don't hinder you either
I bought a Logik 22" Hd ready 1080p led TV which is fine, if anyone is interested

cheers

JG
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:33 pm
by ADAMPOKE111 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:24 am
JeremyF wrote:
ADAMPOKE111 wrote:And no my current monitor is VGA and my TV is DVI but I find DVI to confusing to use... Also we have 1 TV that's is always in use by soneone in my family...


In what way is DVI confusing? You have a whole community of people on this forum for the sole purpose of educating young people so, go ahead, ask your question. I'm guessing it has something to do with DVI-D vs. DVI-I?




Yeah, I'm not sure if my TV is DVI I or D 0.0
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 pm
by JeremyF » Sun May 20, 2012 12:57 pm
ADAMPOKE111 wrote:
JeremyF wrote:
ADAMPOKE111 wrote:And no my current monitor is VGA and my TV is DVI but I find DVI to confusing to use... Also we have 1 TV that's is always in use by soneone in my family...


In what way is DVI confusing? You have a whole community of people on this forum for the sole purpose of educating young people so, go ahead, ask your question. I'm guessing it has something to do with DVI-D vs. DVI-I?




Yeah, I'm not sure if my TV is DVI I or D

Maybe this helps:
Image

If on the right, there's a horizontal line, only, then it is DVI-D. If it is DVI-I, don't worry, you can still use a DVI-D to HDMI adapter (it still fits)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:06 pm
by Susie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:53 pm
As a complete non-techie, I probably got a Pi too soon - didn't realise it was still at development stage. However I loved the BBC model B - working 5 minutes after delivery, why aren't all computers like that?? I hate Windows, inconvenient updates and having to register everywhere. Pi seems to embody the spirit of the BBC Micro, if not its easy access, so I'll keep trying to find an inexpensive monitor that actually works. all tips welcome.
Please could someone explain Very Simply what SSH is? I have a Debian pre-programmed SD card, if that makes any difference?
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:28 pm
by jamesh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:20 pm
SSH - Secure shell, a mechanism for remotely connecting to a Linux based device.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

If you are plugged in to a TV/Monitor, then you dont need to worry about SSH - you are directly accessing the Pi using a local keyboard , mouse and display. Save it for the future!
Unemployed software engineer currently specialising in camera drivers and frameworks, but can put mind to most embedded tasks. Got a job in N.Cambridge or surroundings? I'm interested!
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11780
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by Ocean20 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:07 am
I have a LG 20 inch monitor with two video inputs I used the DVI-D input and got a HDMI cable with a DVI-D male connector at the other end. works for me.
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:36 am
Location: Australia