Please use this Forum for Absolute beginners subjects

38 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by tx_polkhead » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:29 pm
Another question from an Absolute beginner:
We (the kids and I) got our pi today, turns out what I thought was our Micro USB cord was not. Quick trip to the electronics super store (never a quick trip) now I think I have everything I need. SD card with Debian, Logitech wireless keyboard and pointer k400, HDMI cable. The Micro USB cable is plugged in to a Kodak wall wart that I have used to charge other usb devices (ipods and cameras...) the output on the label says 5V 1A which for the model B sounds good. I give the pi power and the ok light blinks green for a while then is solid green, the power light is red no blinking. I am guessing red is no good, what to do next? I think I have a spare powered USB hub I could try that rather than the Kodak wall wart...any other suggestions feel free to lay them on me.
Thanks from Texas!
by itimpi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:00 am
Red for the Power LED is the expected colour and simply shows that power is connected. Each LED tends to be a different colour in normal operation so you can tell them apart.

In fact green for the OK light suggests you may well have booted OK. If you have nothing on the screen you might want to check the sticky abot HDMI issues.
by tx_polkhead » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:50 pm
itimpi-
Thanks for the tip. Tried to boot again last night and while not successful, I got the impression that the pi was sending something to the display. The display was b=getting something via HDMI as the screen switched between 'no signal' floating on a blue screen and 'not support' floating on a black screen. I'll look for the sticky and see what I can do.
by itimpi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:11 pm
It can also be worth unplugging the HDMI and trying the composite as a quick check that the system is booting OK. That at least will eliminate any issues around the power and keyboard/mouse.
by tx_polkhead » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:34 pm
itimpi-
I'll give that a try later today, I gave up yesterday thinking I'll go downstairs and dig around in a closet for an old sony 13" TV from the college days...it didn't even occur to me that the same display with the HDMI issues also has a analog in (not likely to be my only goof of the day...).
by Annec » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:35 pm
bredman wrote:A lot of people are getting confused because the RPi is not ready for beginners yet. Remember that this is only the developer release. This is why there is so little documentation available at the moment. All of the gurus are busy writing documentation like the wiki, the magazines, and the educational documents.

Since you have accidentally wandered into a developer release, you may be tempted to put your RPi into a drawer until next winter. Please don't do this. You can help by trying to use the documentation that we have available and let us know how it feels to you. It's not enough for the documentation to be technically correct, it must also be approachable for the new users.

So this is a call to all new users - please do your best to struggle along for the moment. You can do your bit to pave the way for those following behind. And no matter how frustrating you find it, remember that every mistake will help you learn a bit more.

I'm trying to use the documentation and have run into a problem. I'm trying to load my SD card and am using the method given in the Wiki as the easiest by downloading the Fedora Installer. When I opened the installer, a command prompt window opened and Vista asked me if I wanted to allow Diskpart to run. Because of the warnings on the wiki about data loss/system damage, I'm wary about allowing anything I don't understand - I'm assuming the program will partition my disk. Is that OK to allow?

Also on the image installer window that opened, the only option under "Destination" was "device". Can I safely assume it's recognising my SD card?
by Annec » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:26 am
I've been trawling the forums trying to get a better understanding of what I've got myself into and see that Bredman says
The Fedora Remix is definitely not recommended for new users. The default distribution is Debian. Please use the downloads from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads unless you really know what you are doing.

[/quote]

I'm not a computer newbie - started with a Sinclair ZX81 and graduated to BBC micro and enjoyed playing with Basic programming before migrating to Windows on PCs - but when I got my Raspberry Pi and went to the download page, I heeded the warning that if I wasn't sure I understood the information there, I should go to the forums on the RaspberryPi site for information. From the Rasberrypi.org page I browsed to the wiki and then to http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

From reading this page I understood that I should be using the Fedora installer. It seems I was wrong.

However, I'm not sure Debian will be a lot easier. After reading on the forum about the difficulties people are having with SD cards (even it seems ones which are listed as "will work") and with Debian, I think I'd bettter put the Pi in a drawer until some of the teething problems are sorted out!.
by Annec » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:08 am
Yes! I've got the raspberry on the TV. Absolute beginners can do it.

The guide here:
http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... rasp_group

was very useful as is:
http://myraspberrypiexperience.blogspot ... -card.html

but I ran into a problem with Win32diskimager - no devices shown. The reason turned out to be either/both an internal card reader on a laptop or the fact that it was running Vista. An internal reader on my main computer which is still running XP worked.

Also you need to note that the password given in the guide is wrong. It should be "raspberry".

Now I can really begin.
by Pot Plant » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:27 pm
Hi

Where do you store document files etc on the pi, are they stored on the SD card along with the system or do you need some kind of other storage, such as an external drive or a memory stick? If they are kept on the SD card should you get a bigger one and partition it? Or does it not really matter if it is partitioned or not, like a computer hard disc?

Many thanks.
by liz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:53 pm
The latest version of our Debian image has a tool which will automatically expand your partition into any free space on the card, IIRC.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by Pot Plant » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:49 pm
Thanks Liz

So it does store stuff on the SD card? I'm sure all will become clear when my pi arrives :D.

My niece is revising for her ICT exam and it's ALL theory, they don't even use a computer. I think trial and error and necessity is a better way to learn, with help to get you started. I guess it is all about exams :roll: I am hoping the pi will inspire my son to start creating. Exciting times!

Thanks for your help
by h9k » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:55 pm
Awesome - Thanks
Why in gods name is startx not on that page!

mertonn wrote:OK

It took me ages to find this as we are not yet Linux Heads
When we downloaded Debian6, it installed, we Started our Rasberry PI
Put in our Username and Password
Then What.
"startx" ahh
This should be on the downloads page
by liz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:58 pm
I'm locking this thread because some people are posting stuff here which should go in separate threads in this forum. Carry on, nothing to see!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation