VNC into Raspberry Pi - getting wrong display

8 posts
by pmgmr2 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:22 am
Hello again!  I'm SSH'ing like a champ, but having trouble getting the correct GUI to come up.  Whenever I connect, it brings up a screen with the LXDE background, NOT the raspberry logo background.  Additionally, I can't click the toolbar…that is, it simply doesnt respond to my mouse click.  I did some research and I guess this is a different X display….?

Anyway, I did some more research, and found out about x11vnc at this page and installed it:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X11vnc#Setting_up_x11vnc

Here's the bizarre thing: If I open startx from the raspberry pi itself and then move to my windows computer to SSH in & run tightVNC client, I'm able to remotely get the 'right' deskop with the rPi background.

If I do everything from the windows computer (SSH in, run startx, and run x11vnc) it gives me that blue LXDE desktop.

What am I doing wrong?
by GvdB » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 pm
I don't know what you did exactly.

I just install tightvnc (sudo apt-get install tightvncserver) on the RPi

Ran: tightvncserver

and then could access the RPi desktop from my computer.

GvdB
by Tass » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 pm
Well, here's the thing.  What exactly is the 'right' background (ignoring the fact that the Pi sounds right :) )

For the first week or so I was plugging my Pi into my TV - I booted up, logged in (using pi/raspberry) and ran startx.  I was taken to the LXDE background.  Then 2 days ago I installed tightvncserver, connected in via VNC and found the Raspberry Pi background.

Does anyone know if there is a specific difference between the two desktops?  Is it simply a desktop, or something deeper?
by JeremyF » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:33 pm
{quote} Does anyone know if there is a specific difference between the two desktops?  Is it simply a desktop, or something deeper?

While I don"t actually have a Pi, I believe you are seeing two different workspaces. If you have ever use GNOME then you might remember that you can have multiple "virtual desktops". I believe the same applies to LXDE. But this is just my theory.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by jaredforshey » Mon May 21, 2012 4:19 am
I know this is a month later, but I just got around to setting up VNC on my pi and noticed the same thing you did. I can replicate this by starting the vncserver either with or without sudo. If I launch it with "sudo vncserver", then I get the LXDE wallpaper. If I don't use sudo, then I get the raspi wallpaper. I assume by starting x under root, I must be pulling in another set of preferences. I don't know enough about linux to know if there are other implications of starting the session as root.
by untrammelled » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:46 pm
Seems that tightvnc gets its LXDE configuration from a hidden file 'LXDE.conf' in pi's home directory (the initial dot in the filename makes it hidden).

You can change the 'wallpaper' variable to the path of a different wallpaper image, or comment it out altogether. Using the nano text editor as user pi:

$ nano .config/pcmanfm/LXDE.conf

Code: Select all
[desktop]
wallpaper_mode=2
#wallpaper=/usr/share/lxde/wallpapers/raspberry_pi_transparent.png

Hope that helps.

Chris.
by NickT » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:04 pm
You can just right click on the desktop, then select 'Desktop Settings' from the popup. In there you will find an option to select the wallpaper.
by Reider » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:45 pm
Don`t know if this will help but here goes anyway.... If I su root and set myself up as admin I get LXDE and that's without using VNC. If I start non su, which is the recommended way) I get the normal Raspberry Pi desktop.

Steve