Installing FUSE, the Spectrum emulator. Arch or Debian instructions wanted.


83 posts   Page 3 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4
by khisanth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:09 pm
think i need to download everything and see which is the right one :)
User avatar
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 pm
Location: Farnborough
by mharizanov » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:13 pm
Does anone have the sound working on the Debian version? I could use help there :oops:
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 12:57 pm
by djp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 pm
mharizanov wrote:Does anone have the sound working on the Debian version? I could use help there :oops:


Sound works fine if built --with-sdl. It also gives you a fullscreen speccy! :D

No need to boot into X, you can run Fuse quite happily from the command line.

Basically to install, just follow the details already given but instead of installing libx11-dev, install libsdl1.2-dev. Then when you come to ./configure Fuse, use the --with-sdl option. Make sure to add /usr/local/lib to your /etc/ld.so.conf file and then run sudo /sbin/ldconfig. Now Fuse should run fine without the need for the "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib" malarky! You do need to launch Fuse as sudo it seems though. If anyone knows how to prevent this I'd love to know.

Run Fuse with -g 2 and you'll have a speccy emu filling your screen with sound and decent speed. :twisted:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 pm
by JonB » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 am
Maybe being a little dumb here.. but aren't these instructions for Arch not Debian?

I'm trying to compile (admittedly with the xserver running) and it is failing with out of memory. Can I run pacman in Debian?
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:26 pm
by khisanth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:53 pm
Yes this thread is a bit confusing, all Arch instructions and the Debian stuff is not all there. Also there seems to be a bit of assumed prior knowledge etc which we might not have :)

hence me asking if someone can do a complete Debian instruction list without any references!
User avatar
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 pm
Location: Farnborough
by alexeames » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 pm
khisanth wrote:Yes this thread is a bit confusing, all Arch instructions and the Debian stuff is not all there. Also there seems to be a bit of assumed prior knowledge etc which we might not have :)

hence me asking if someone can do a complete Debian instruction list without any references!


I would have done it by now, if I could. Still not got sound working on the Arch install, but I've been messing about with other stuff instead. It's all good learning. Don't be afraid to try things and ask specific questions. The wonderful thing about the Pi is that a fresh OS install is a 10 minute job, so no fear of messing it all up.

People are generally very helpful to others who help themselves, but not everyone can afford the time to spoon-feed those who seem unwilling to make any effort. (Not pointing any fingers, by the way - but I've noticed the best way to get help in linux forums is to show that you have tried various approaches, rather than wait for spoon-feeding.) :)
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by khisanth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:09 pm
Just gets a bit frustrating when you know what you have to do and you are working from the same environment as someone else, yet yours doesnt work and theirs does !

it is great that you can wipe your card and start again :)
User avatar
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 pm
Location: Farnborough
by alexeames » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:08 pm
khisanth wrote:Just gets a bit frustrating when you know what you have to do and you are working from the same environment as someone else, yet yours doesnt work and theirs does !


That's true, which is why all the best instructions are written while the author does a complete walk-through the install to check. But it takes a very long time and most people don't have the time to give to it. Took me hours to write my get_iplayer installation blog post. I couldn't have done it without the help I got from several sources - I'm quite new at this too.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by emptybee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:21 pm
djp wrote:
mharizanov wrote:Does anone have the sound working on the Debian version? I could use help there :oops:


Sound works fine if built --with-sdl. It also gives you a fullscreen speccy! :D

No need to boot into X, you can run Fuse quite happily from the command line.

Basically to install, just follow the details already given but instead of installing libx11-dev, install libsdl1.2-dev. Then when you come to ./configure Fuse, use the --with-sdl option. Make sure to add /usr/local/lib to your /etc/ld.so.conf file and then run sudo /sbin/ldconfig. Now Fuse should run fine without the need for the "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib" malarky! You do need to launch Fuse as sudo it seems though. If anyone knows how to prevent this I'd love to know.

Run Fuse with -g 2 and you'll have a speccy emu filling your screen with sound and decent speed. :twisted:


Hi djp,

I really struggling to get this to work as you've said. The problem seems to be when i run ./configure --with-sdl in the fuse-1.0.0.1a folder.

The process ends with "checking for sdl-config... no" then "SDL - version >= 1.2.4... no". This then means I cannot run make or sudo make install after.

I did sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev prior to trying this and can run tuxpaint (in LXDE) fine, which should mean SDL is installed correctly.

If you could please point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

emptybee
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:56 pm
by djp » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:27 pm
emptybee wrote:
djp wrote:
mharizanov wrote:Does anone have the sound working on the Debian version? I could use help there :oops:


Sound works fine if built --with-sdl. It also gives you a fullscreen speccy! :D

No need to boot into X, you can run Fuse quite happily from the command line.

Basically to install, just follow the details already given but instead of installing libx11-dev, install libsdl1.2-dev. Then when you come to ./configure Fuse, use the --with-sdl option. Make sure to add /usr/local/lib to your /etc/ld.so.conf file and then run sudo /sbin/ldconfig. Now Fuse should run fine without the need for the "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib" malarky! You do need to launch Fuse as sudo it seems though. If anyone knows how to prevent this I'd love to know.

Run Fuse with -g 2 and you'll have a speccy emu filling your screen with sound and decent speed. :twisted:


Hi djp,

I really struggling to get this to work as you've said. The problem seems to be when i run ./configure --with-sdl in the fuse-1.0.0.1a folder.

The process ends with "checking for sdl-config... no" then "SDL - version >= 1.2.4... no". This then means I cannot run make or sudo make install after.

I did sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev prior to trying this and can run tuxpaint (in LXDE) fine, which should mean SDL is installed correctly.

If you could please point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

emptybee


I'll try. :)

Basically, I'm using a stock install of debian6-19-04-2012. I then "sudo aptitude install libsdl1.2-dev". Make sure you "sudo make uninstall" any previous installations of Fuse and libspectrum. Also delete the source directories for both Fuse and libspectrum and extract both again to start configuring and compiling afresh. "./configure", "make" and "sudo make install" libspectrum and then do the same for Fuse, configuring with the "--with-sdl" option. Everything should install without issue.

Let me know how you get on.
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 pm
by khisanth » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:39 pm
I tried doing this with Arch (the correct version) and get issues with pacman needing updating and errors occuring stopping it installing. updated pacman successfully and then did pacman -Syu to update everything and some packages were not updated due to errors". did the LXDE install and same issue.

This is the one thing that no doubt puts a lot of people off Linux is that you can follow instructions to the letter and it will either not work or give different responses to that stated. Many versions of the distrib, different distribs etc. Sure if you work it out you will learn loads, but it can be hard to know where to go next!

Making it my mission to get FUSE installed !!
User avatar
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 pm
Location: Farnborough
by DoKMH » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:11 pm
I always hate calling for help but I'm completely stumped here

I'm using the latest arch (I know people say use an old one, but I was hoping to get away with this one)

I get down to the bit about installing xarchiver and it won't install. Says target not found. I realise this is probably due to it not being on the server anymore.
I have been trying various tactics for about 4 hours now to find it online and install it with no luck
I then decided to email the 2 files to myself, unzip them on my laptop, and email them back to myself. This went well until I went to download the files from yahoo mail... I get the dialogue box asking if I want to open, save, save as etc.
Then midori crashes

Could anyone give me a few pointers in the right direction?
I'm a complete noob to the world of arch, willing to learn, willing to try things for myself, and obviously on this attempt I have failed miserably!

Any help would be mucho appreciato :)
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Northumberland
by alexeames » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:08 pm
khisanth wrote:Making it my mission to get FUSE installed !!


Good news for you khisanth. If you have a card with the Debian Wheezy Beta installation, it takes only three command line commands to install FUSE and have the sound working (but not through HDMI).

Shall I give you the link? :lol:

Oh go on then... Install FUSE in Debian Wheezy on Raspberry Pi

I have yet to add info on downloading games and do the video with a full walk-through test installation. But the instructions are there if you'd like to give it a go. Let me know how you get on. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by khisanth » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:34 pm
hehe worked perfectly with that, cheers! :)
User avatar
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 pm
Location: Farnborough
by alexeames » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 pm
khisanth wrote:hehe worked perfectly with that, cheers! :)


You're welcome. It's really easy isn't it? None of that piddling about installing all the missing components with Arch. :lol: (I think that's the point of arch though - you build your own OS according to what you want). I'm still working on the video to go with the blog post. Takes bloomin ages - ormaybe I'm just too fussy, :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by thelini » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:22 am
That wheezy method works great.

Still a little slow, but I managed to get sound over hdmi, not sure how, just clicked the preference for ay stereo separation and it all started working, even the beeper sounds.

Does anybody know if getting gpu acceleration in the os will make this better to use?
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am
by thelini » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:26 am
One other issue, I don't seem to be able to get it to go full screen. It only goes to 3x size windowed.

It was late last night when I tried it so maybe I'm being a complete idiot.
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am
by alexeames » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 am
thelini wrote:That wheezy method works great.

Still a little slow, but I managed to get sound over hdmi, not sure how, just clicked the preference for ay stereo separation and it all started working, even the beeper sounds.

Does anybody know if getting gpu acceleration in the os will make this better to use?


Excellent. I'll have to try the hdmi thing.

I don't think GPU will make any difference to this as the spectrum was a 48k machine from 30 years ago. The emulator makes it a fairly authentic experience. I don't think it pushes the Pi to any limits at all.

I don't think it will go full screen
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by thelini » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 am
It might just me, I've been playing with my pi and it has a few bits and bobs installed that may be slowing it down.

I'm going to try it on a clean install tonight.

Excellent to hear Glider Rider again.. :lol:
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am
by alexeames » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:47 am
Excellent - sound works for me through HDMI now too. It's not perfect, but at least I don't need external speakers any more. :lol:

[Edit: it works, kind of, but it's very temperamental and "bitty"] :cry:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by thelini » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:21 am
Yeah, I forgot to mention that..

But it's sound none the less.

Might try my pi clocked to 850mhz see if I see a difference.
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am
by khisanth » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:23 am
now to get my game roms in there somehow!
User avatar
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:49 pm
Location: Farnborough
by Casalor » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:30 pm
I gave up on this a couple of weeks ago but I went away andplayed with other stuff like lighttpd, mysql, php etc and have got fuseto work first time (this time).

Using Arch with the arm224-start.elf memory settings I followed the original Arch install post with the suggestions for using the frame buffer instead of X (I have enough window machines as is). The only two postings in this thread I used were
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4933#p67002 and
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4933&start=50#p99641

The only thing I had to figure out was that sdl had to be installed - with a couple of extra dependecies by simply
Code: Select all
 pacman -S sdl gtk2 libpng

and putting '/usr/local/lib' into a file called usrlocal.conf before invoking
Code: Select all
/sbin/ldconfig

I also had to edit the PKGBUILD file to add '--with-sdl' to the end of the configure line so it looks like
Code: Select all
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-sdl

Oh, and run
Code: Select all
fuse -g 2x
(there was a typo in the second post mentioned).

There was a huge grin on my face when I got Manic miner to run (with sound). :D

To make it extra difficult for myself - and maybe slightly perverse - my Pi is housed inside an Amstrad CPC case (it was a dead 'un). Having said that the 'loadkey' mapped Amstrad keyboard works just fine. I'm going have a go at compiling the CPC emulator 'Arnold' sometime soon. ;)
User avatar
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 am
Location: Nantwich, UK
by Freespirittime » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 pm
Received my Raspberry Pi today and I'm playing chuckie egg, thanks to all the great posts that got me this far.
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:38 pm
by alexeames » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:55 pm
Freespirittime wrote:Received my Raspberry Pi today and I'm playing chuckie egg, thanks to all the great posts that got me this far.


Nice - got that one on my list to get - now you've reminded me. Used to love that game. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK