Pi and Harmony 650 Remote

9 posts
by BIGOLYT » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 am
So I'm about to pull the trigger on my first piece of Pi but I want to make sure I can use my Harmony 650 remote with it... I've read some people got it to work and some didnt, just curious what I would need to add to get mine to work.

Edit: This should probably be moved to the What Peripheral section (sorry) dont know how to move this....
by DBryant » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:58 am
I installed rapsbmc, added keyboard, mouse etc and was expecting to have to work to get any of the various remotes to function. With Pi connected to Sony TV via HDMI, found it just plain worked with no additional outlay.

Your mileage may vary, doesn't it always, but things can be simple!
by BIGOLYT » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:25 am
Didnt you need to get an IR adapter for the Pi?
by DBryant » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:01 pm
No I didn't.

I had a wireless mouse/keyboard set-up and had been using that. And during a re-boot I switched the TV with the remote to take a look at the news, like you do. And as the Pi boots it switches the TV source, ok but I was listening to the latest cricket or something, so I was switching back and forth, leyboard on my lap, remote in one hand, typing with the other.

It must have been a good 10 minutes before it dawned on me that I was using the remote on the RaspBMC too! Hadn't even thought it would work, so it was a bit of a surprise. 'Er in doors' now has that system to deliver music over in the West Wing, so its controlled via a web-interface and I've not investigated the ins and out of the way it works.
by Mortimer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:02 pm
Sounds like HDMI-CEC doing its thing : http://elinux.org/CEC_%28Consumer_Elect ... _over_HDMI
by DBryant » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:29 pm
True. As I said never spent any time looking to see exactly whats was going on. Thanks for the link, explains all.
by Davejohnson » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:44 pm
Bought raspberry pi a week ago
Bought a "USB PC Computer Remote Control Media Center Controller" £4.72 from Amazon for the receiver not the remote.
Run "Openelec" on the Pi
Set up a Harmony 525 to operate in place of the remote.
Added a "Media center Device" in Devices "Chinavasion CVSB-983" (not a mistype is Chinavasion)
Used the TV volumes and Mute and used the Chinavasion for other keys.
I now watch videos using the harmony remote to operate right, left, play, stop, etc
If you include the TV as part of the "Activities" setup you need to switch on TV and switch to HDMI before the Pi else the CEC switches on TV and changes input to HDMI and the Harmony then toggles the TV off.
by Davejohnson » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:44 pm
I have a harmony 525 used to control 'Openelec' on the Pi
buy "USB PC Computer Remote Control Media Center Controller" £5.35 from Amazon for the receiver.
Add Media Centre PC as a Device "Chinavasion CVSB-983" (it is 'Chinavision').
Use the TV volumes and mute in an activity.
When used with HDMI the Pi will use CEC when switched on to switch on TV and change the input to correct HDMI,
If the activity includes TV then activate activity before switching on the PI other wise the Pi will switch on TV and then the activity will switch it off.
You can now use the Harmony as the remote right, left, up, down, stop, etc
by blachanc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:30 am
Mortimer wrote:Sounds like HDMI-CEC doing its thing : http://elinux.org/CEC_%28Consumer_Elect ... _over_HDMI

using NOOBS 1.3 and raspxbmc.

I just found out about this while pressing the keys on my remote by mistake, while reaching for the wireless keyboard.

what a pleasant surprise.

now i need to program few keys to emulate part of the xbmc (contextual menu)

Ben