Overclock issue, Raspbmc 256mb

4 posts
by itsowenhowarth » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:06 pm
Okay, so i acquired my Pi from work (Maplin Electronics), therefor had no choice on the model.

I have B 256mb.

I installed Raspbmc, added Navi-X Repository.

I can stream Standard Definition films no-problem but when i try to view 720p/3D content, i get about 5 minutes into the film and my Pi reboots.

So i thought "Okay, maybe if i overclock, this will fix the issue"

Im not having any luck at all overclocking. Im not interested in the Warranty as im protected for replacement through work, i have put on heat sinks as i know it gets warmer overclocking.

When i try to overclock, it runs really quickly. I reboot and i get a Kernal Panic or just complete failure to boot.

So, what are acceptable overclock figures that i can push this 256mb version to using XBMC settings? Could it be the fact that it's just a basic HDMI cable that causes the reboot on HD Content? I believe the power supply im using is 2.1a rated.
by DaringSquirrel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:15 am
Raspbmc overclocks itself by default to safe levels

Q: Does Raspbmc void the warranty by overclocking?

A: NO. Raspbmc overclocks your Raspberry Pi to a safe clock frequency which has been verified by Dom who works on the Raspberry Pi firmware himself. Furthermore, a change to clock frequency does not blow the OTP. It is overvolting that does this. If you do not wish your Pi to be overclocked, just edit config.txt which is located in /boot.

I've been running it fine for a while now (bar a few buffering issues due to mounting an external SMB NAS drive)

First thing I would check before playing around with the overclock settings is the power supply as these are the most likely cause of instability, good tips can be found from here:

http://www.raspbmc.com/wiki/user/troubl ... tutorials/

Next try a different SD card as many types of card are not fully compatible with the Pi
by Cloudcentric » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:49 am
I know everything about nothing"
by pluggy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 pm
How much you can push a Pi with overclocking varies by the individual Pi. One of mine appears quite happy with the 'legal' maximum 1000Mhz, the others won't have it. 800 Mhz works on all mine. SD cards tend to get corrupted more if you overclock. You certainly won't improve any stability problems with overclocking.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......