Use PS3 Controller (RetroPie)

3 posts
by Fitz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:22 pm
Hi everybody,

I'm currently trying to use my PS3 Controller (Dual Shock 3) on USB with my Raspberry Pi. I've seen on a forum that PS3 Controllers can be used out-of-the-box on linux systems, just like plug'n'play. Actually, It seems to be well detected on my system : I can see it as /dev/input/js0 and the command
Code: Select all
jstest /dev/input/js0
shows me a lot of numbers that are changing when I'm playing with the pad.

The problem is that it's making weird things. The 4 LED don't stop blinking, or sometime are just all off (but the pad still seems working), the pad does not rumble when connected (some forums say that it should), and the most annoying : when I start emulationstation, sometime it does not work at all, and sometime it works for a few seconds, then it disconnects and does not work anymore. When playing a game, if I can reach this point using the pad, the keys does not seems to be good even if the retroarch.cfg file is well written for the PS3 pad.

Does someone have any idea for one of the problems I'm encountering ? Is there a good tuto explaining how to use the PS3 controller without bluetooth and sixad ?
by mocherz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 pm
sounds like your not getting enough power from the usb port, try using a powered hub
by mocherz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:17 am
I'm getting the same problems, maybe its power related?