berryboot format time

3 posts
by thcmm » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:08 pm
I am in the process of installing berryboot on my new model B using a Kingston 32GB ultimate X100X SD card. I am concerned about the initial format process, it has been going on for several hours. Is this normal?

I aborted the first attempt after about 3 hours, deleted all the FAT32 partitions, created a single new one and reformatted the SD via gparted. Then copied the latest berryboot files to the SD and started the process over.

Again, everything seems to be "working" The PWR LED is on and steady, the LNK LED flashes occasionally, but the ACT LED is on solid (not flashing). I had read that it should flash during SD actively?

Does anybody know how long it should take for berryboot to complete the first format process on a 32GB Class 10 SD?

Thanks kindly
/T
by Max » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:21 am
Shouldn't take more then a couple minutes.

Have another card laying around to try?
Even an old 1 GB one should do fine.
by thcmm » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:38 pm
Thanks Max,
I let the process run all night but in the morning it was still chugging away at the format process.

I aborted the process, and tried with a 4GB SD card and was up and running within minutes!

Honestly I do not understand why the 32GB card does not work. I can read/write files to the card on Sindoze and Linux unhindered.

I'll try to dd the working 4GB partition to the 32GB card and see if that yields anything useful.

Cheers,
/T