XBMC Wi-Fi Setup with Official Wi-Pi Dongle.

8 posts
by 5V0 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:28 am
Hi, there

I can't get XBMC to connect to my router. I have tried Xbian using xbian-config, and it seems to interact with my router, but when I boot into Xbian it never connects to the internet. I am now trying OpenELEC and the same issue occurs when I use OpenELEC OS Settings. The settings are all correct (as far as I know), but it never establishes a connection. I am using the official Wi-Pi dongle.

How do I troubleshoot this? Also, with OpenELEC, is there a way I can get to terminal without using SSH? - I mean, I can't actually use SSH because it won't connect to my router!!

Thank you in advance!
by redhawk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 am
What's an official Wi-Pi dongle??

Did you run the Xbian wifi configuration script??

Richard S.
by 5V0 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 am
redhawk wrote:What's an official Wi-Pi dongle??

Did you run the Xbian wifi configuration script??

Richard S.

Where's the Xbian wifi configuration script?

Also, the Wi-Pi. The official wireless dongle. At least, I thought it was official. That's the impression I got when I bought it from Element14 - the bastards!

EDIT: If you're talking about going to the programs menu and then XBian settings, I have seen people talk about this before. The only issue is that there's no XBian settings script to run :(. I also looked at what was available for download, no XBian settings script.
by redhawk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:15 pm
Yes I was talking about "Program, Xbian settings" but if this doesn't run when XBMC restarts then you have problems.
Fortunately Xbian is quite configurable like Raspbian so basically you should be able to manually setup your wifi access with the help of ethernet connectivity.

First you need to exit XBMC this takes you to the console window as root, alternatively you could just login to Xbian via ssh as root : raspberry.
Getting your wifi dongle to work depends on the chipset some unsupported devices require additional packages installed.
After that you have to configure your wireless networking i.e. SSID, encryption type and password so on every boot it connects to your wifi router.

Richard S.
by 5V0 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:43 am
redhawk wrote:Yes I was talking about "Program, Xbian settings" but if this doesn't run when XBMC restarts then you have problems.
Fortunately Xbian is quite configurable like Raspbian so basically you should be able to manually setup your wifi access with the help of ethernet connectivity.

First you need to exit XBMC this takes you to the console window as root, alternatively you could just login to Xbian via ssh as root : raspberry.
Getting your wifi dongle to work depends on the chipset some unsupported devices require additional packages installed.
After that you have to configure your wireless networking i.e. SSID, encryption type and password so on every boot it connects to your wifi router.

Richard S.

I am running the latest version of XBian (1.0, Alpha 3) and it definitely does not have anything called "XBian Settings" available for use or download. I believe the problem may be that the Wi-Fi dongle isn't getting enough power. I might send it back because I was also never told it only works on Debian 6.

I have also tried what you said above with SSH, but it doesn't work. I think it's a power issue.
by Wolfram23 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm
I'm also having issues. Fresh Xbian install last night. No Xbian option from within Xbmc.

However, you can exit the program and it takes you to the config manager after a login.

Setting up the Wlan there doesn't work for me though.

Exiting the config returns to terminal and a "sudo iwconfig" shows ESSID as "off/any".

Going to try a manual setup.
by Trenelly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 pm
Hi,

I'm quite new to this too but I have learned that a WiFi dongle will need to be plugged in via a powered USB Hub in order for it to operate successfully.

Hope this helps ;)
by marsh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 am
Is true - the Pi doesn't have enough power to do kbd and wireless dongle.
If you get a powered USB hub, you can use one of the ports to power the pi, and others to plug in usb "things".
Once configured you can run the wifi without the kbd. use yr phone and an ssh client, and an xbmc remote ;)