Connecting a bluetooth keyboard

6 posts
by Kalakuta » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:43 pm
I have successfully completed initial setup (wheezy) using a usb keyboard (borrowed from work) and (separate) mouse. I've even got wifi working with a usb dongle - of course this means I have to switch between mouse and keyboard when connected to internet, which is cumbersome to say the least!

I'm keen not to spend any money on extra peripherals - I have at home a bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse (Motorola branded - I use them with my xoom) and a recently purchased Cambridge Silicon bluetooth dongle. My ideal setup would be the pi's two usb slots occupied by wifi and bluetooth dongles, connected to internet and keyboard+mouse respectively. Unfortunately I cannot seem to install the bluez utilities - every time I run sudo apt-install bluetooth bluez-utils blueman I get a huge list of 'failed to fetch blah blah blah' messages and am no closer to being able to scan for bluetooth devices, let alone use them. Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, even if I were to successfully connect my bluetooth devices, I worry that they wouldn't connect automatically on start-up, which would mean I'd have to have a separate usb keyboard anyway - is this correct, or does anyone have a set-up that automatically connects to a bluetooth keyboard (and not one which simply comes with its own dedicated dongle)?

Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and invest in a new wireless keyboard with trackpad (in the process doubling the cost of my "£25" computer)?
by thradtke » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:53 am
I often have to remove apt lists (/var/apt/lists iirc) and cache (/var/apt/cache iirc) to get clean installations. Also, the date has to be valid. Look around for apt problems on the net and you will find lots of info.

It's all Voodoo.

OT/rant: I doubt a regular user not used to daily work on system internals can maintain a *nix system over a long time.
Full-time noob forever.
by TinkerMom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:05 pm
Did you type "sudo apt-install" or "sudo apt-get install" and then the rest of the Bluetooth info? Try the sudo apt-get install and see what happens- I just did that and mine's running smoothly (so far).
MoonPi over Chattanooga...
by RobHenry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm
And, of course, make sure you do sudo apt-get update to ensure your libraries are fully up to date before installing anything with apt-get.
by DeeJay » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm
Not tested by me, but this looks thorough... And I think it says the setup should persist over a reboot.

http://www.ctheroux.com/2012/08/a-step-by-step-guide-to-setup-a-bluetooth-keyboard-and-mouse-on-the-raspberry-pi/
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
by Cloudcentric » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:17 pm
In Raspbian to fully update, the last updates I receieved were today, is at the command prompt type:

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
sync
reboot
I know everything about nothing"