Setting the keyboard type

4 posts
by japatti » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 pm
Hi,

I have an American style ANSI keyboard (that is, with the @ above the number 2 and " above left of the shift key).
Now I have used the command: sudo raspbi-config from the main command prompt to gain access to the initial set up menu.
From there I've tried to set the keyboard type as a generic 105 key version and then set the keyboard layout as OTHER, then English (US). (as per spec on 'tinternet).
It seems to get stuck in a loop from here and goes round the keyboard type and country of origin menus. If I then press escape to go back out I get the message: "There was an error running do_configure_keyboard.
I have updated the raspi config from the menu but cannot seem to set my keyboard.
I'm guessing that once I get programming an incorrectly configured keyboard could give me many headaches!

Anyone got any ideas to solve this?

Thanks,

Matt
by cakiwi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:41 am
I had the same problem and fixed by following the instructions here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Beginners#Keyboard_layout

I used the 2nd option, editting /etc/default/keyboard and changing XKBLAYOUT to "us"
by japatti » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:28 pm
Many thanks for you help. This is perfect!

As a new user of RPi I have been searching for a good starting point in programming and understanding my Pi. this site is a great starting point. So my next logical question that I hope you can answer; Is this documented anywhere in the forum elsewhere along with other very usefull info?
As someone who is not used to forum content or format I have struggled to get started. Often finding many bits of info that I'm not sure where I should be starting to program command lines into which program.
Basically I want to start programming basic stuff. Should I do this from the Desktop programming tool (which one?) or the CLI (I just learn't that, thanks! :-) ).
I'm not fussed about using a fancy GUI, just want to start programming the most recognised and widely accepted way, compile and test the program. Hopefully leading on to using my device headless in one of many projects I have in mind (once up to speed).

Again, any extra help or links you can provide to get me started will be greatly appreciated!

Matt
by jojopi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am
japatti wrote:From there I've tried to set the keyboard type as a generic 105 key version and then set the keyboard layout as OTHER, then English (US). (as per spec on 'tinternet).
It seems to get stuck in a loop from here and goes round the keyboard type and country of origin menus.
After you select "English (US)" you do get back to the same layout menu, and still with "Other" highlighted, but if you scroll up the options should now be the ones you want such as "English (US)", "English (US) - Cherokee", "English (US) - English (left handed Dvorak)", etc.

I have seen this misbehave, but only by crashing completely, not by ignoring a choice.

Also, if your keyboard is US, is it not 104 keys?