raspberry pi login

20 posts
by schifanopi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Am doing this with young son and we're both beginners. We got everything working just now, he was using Scratch, and then the screen froze. He turned the power off and on and we're now stuck at the login screen. Where it says 'raspberry pi login:' (which it didn't say the 1st time) we type 'pi', as per the Quick Start Guide, but then get the message 'Login incorrect'. This is the only login we have. What should we do?
by dom » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:08 pm
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Default login
Username: pi
Password: raspberry

So, type pi, enter, raspberry, enter.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by schifanopi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:28 pm
Thank you for the reply, but that's what we already did. We then saw the message 'Login incorrect'.
by malakai » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:05 pm
If you never got to a login prompt prior to this your source is suspect it would be hard to tell if your using wheezy or one of the other builds but it appears in either case the default login was modified. So it is just a complete guess as to what it is.

This is a list of the known distros with passwords:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by schifanopi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:51 pm
I looked on the link you gave me but can't see any passwords there. I really have no idea what to do here. We bought everything from RS components, and I thought it would be a case of connecting it all up and off we go, but am stuck. Any other suggestions from anyone? Or sources of help?
by schifanopi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:53 pm
At the login screen it says:

Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid raspberrypi tty1
raspberry pi login:

When we type in the supplied 'raspberry' then 'pi' login and password we see the message:
Login incorrect
by emcsquirreled » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm
It is 'pi' first and then 'raspberry', as 'pi' is the user and 'raspberry' is the password. It is a bit confusing, as the computer's name is 'raspberry pi', but it should start to make sense soon.
Linux -- The operating system with a CLUE (Command Line User Environment)
--
FTC Team 4508
E=MC Squirreled
emcsquirreled.github.com
by schifanopi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:27 pm
Thank you for your reply. That is what we were doing i.e. 'pi' then 'raspberry'.
by itimpi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 pm
schifanopi wrote:Thank you for your reply. That is what we were doing i.e. 'pi' then 'raspberry'.

Another pointis that it uses the UK keyboard layout initially. This can matter if you are not using a standard qwerty keyboard.
by schifanopi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm
We are using a standard qwerty keyboard.
by stevenwiner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:14 pm
Remember that unlike Windows, Linux does not show the letters/numbers or even X's as you type in the password. Just do it blind and then hit enter.
by ChezB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:20 pm
Thanks it's my first time using Linux - It worked!
by Jarfmdotcom » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:24 pm
I typed in a new password during the set up config - is that the pi users password or something else?
I am now having no luck with entering the password and none of the suggestions above have worked.
by zalion0 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm
I'm getting exactly the same, all did I was turned off the GUI and rebooted. Maybe you have to set a SSH password before the first reboot?
by marcolepsy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm
Try hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 and use the same login info. My guess is that it will work. Does it?

That is what I'm experiencing. I set a password for the root user and am able to login using those credentials but can't get through using the pi user, even though I'm sure the credentials are correct. Something is amiss.

Much like this user with a similar problem, I installed tightvncserver just before I started seeing this problem:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27905

For me also, it seems to have to do with that install, but I can't figure out why and how to reverse the problem.

Anyway, hope this helps.
by Nitrogen_Widget » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 am
ok,
I can't log in as root at all on a fresh SD card.
Can't even upgrade the system or install anything because it tells me my root password is invalid.

I don't know what to do.
Any suggestions?
I did tell it to start SSH at log-in in the config file.
I can get to a desktop but can't do anything that requires root access.
by marcolepsy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm
zalion0 wrote:I'm getting exactly the same, all did I was turned off the GUI and rebooted. Maybe you have to set a SSH password before the first reboot?

Check the .Xauthority file in your home directory. See if it belongs to the root user now. If it does, change it to the 'pi' user and reboot. For me, this resolved the issue I was seeing where auto-login was no longer occurring.
by hotcayle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 am
I am currently installing MySQL on the pi
installed it and restarted using
sudo shutdown -r now

Using logitech k260 wireless keyboard
normally i boot then have to unplug the dongle and plug it back in and it works perfectly

but now my login screen says this
(none) login:
and if i unplug my dongle Like i have done several times in the past it list out lots of information on the keyboard and does nothing more just an underscore at the end of the usb information.
Was using SSH quite sucesfully untill the reboot (as I forgot to do the static ip before I booted) please help ;( this should be the easy part of setting up our new brewing system and low and behold it has become the hardest part over night ;(
by Solublepeter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm
Note that neither are capitalised- I think thats where I went wrong on my first few attempts
by MaximusWhitimus » Mon May 26, 2014 11:05 am
I am having a similar problem, I have got on the code screen thing
Rabian gnu/Linux and stuff but then when it login I found that you have to type raspberry as the password not rasberry without a P, hope this helps