Codec keys

6 posts
by mfraser » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:08 pm
I received 2 new 512MB Raspberry Pis yesterday and went to the shop and requested MPEG2 and VC1 keys for both Pis. These keys have now arrived, but all 4 were sent in the same email and I've no idea which ones are for which Pi. Is there any way of finding out?
by dom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:42 pm
mfraser wrote:I received 2 new 512MB Raspberry Pis yesterday and went to the shop and requested MPEG2 and VC1 keys for both Pis. These keys have now arrived, but all 4 were sent in the same email and I've no idea which ones are for which Pi. Is there any way of finding out?

Apply code. Check it works. If not apply other code.
Or use:
Code: Select all
decode_MPG2=0x12345678,0x87654321
decode_VC1=0x23456789,0x98765432

and that will work on either board, and you never need to care.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by GrahamH68 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:40 am
I have the same issue. It would have been nice if the email just told you which license goes with which serial number.

So rather than adding all licenses to all Pi's, how do I check that the ones I've picked are working or not?
by Paul Webster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:05 am
As suggested above - get a couple of test video files then show that neither play with OMXPlayer - then apply one codec key and reboot. Repeat OMXPlayer test ...
by Dweeber » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:30 am
GrahamH68 wrote:So rather than adding all licenses to all Pi's, how do I check that the ones I've picked are working or not?

You don't need to play a video to know if the licenses are valid... Insert one set of keys into one of the RPi's after it comes up use the commands:

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd codec_enabled MPG2
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd codec_enabled WVC1

These will say:
MPG2=enabled
WVC1=enabled

If they licenses are valid for the serial number of the unit you put them in.

Personally, I include them all for all 3 RPi I have since I use a master copy of the OS and make copies to use in the other units. Don't need to pay attention to which has what.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com
by GrahamH68 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:20 am
Dweeber wrote:
GrahamH68 wrote:So rather than adding all licenses to all Pi's, how do I check that the ones I've picked are working or not?

You don't need to play a video to know if the licenses are valid... Insert one set of keys into one of the RPi's after it comes up use the commands:

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd codec_enabled MPG2
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd codec_enabled WVC1

These will say:
MPG2=enabled
WVC1=enabled

If they licenses are valid for the serial number of the unit you put them in.

Personally, I include them all for all 3 RPi I have since I use a master copy of the OS and make copies to use in the other units. Don't need to pay attention to which has what.

That's brilliant, thanks Dweeber, exactly what I was looking for!