Best VNC Server to use

4 posts
by myjess » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:18 pm
I want to be able to work the raspberry pi remotely.
It's not a vnc/rdp client that I want, it's the best/fast/least hogging remote desktop server that I can use on wheezy/Arch/xmbc_openelec?

Thanks.
by bredman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:06 pm
A lot of people (me included) use tightvnc.

I didn't measure the resource usage, but it doesn't slow the system noticeably.
by pjc123 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 am
I am also happy with the speed of tightvnc, although I have not tried others. I use it on my other Linux servers as well. Just a word of caution...although passwords are encrypted with tightvnc, the rest of the traffic being transmitted is not encrypted, which is especially important if you are accessing the pi over the internet. To fix that, you can SSH through a tunnel, which is what I do, or you can use one of the other vnc's that support transport layer security encryption.
by redhawk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 am
I've never tried tightvnc however I find running an X-Windows server on Windows serving PI applications very effective it also requires less RAM because startx isn't loaded.

All you need is X-Windows compatible software i.e. XMing and then login to your PI with Putty's X11 forwarding option enabled.
Once at the console screen you can run X11 applications directly or by starting the desktop session: lxsession &

Richard S.