Best Browser on the Pii

8 posts
by pygmy_giant » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:17 am
I cant believe I've finally got my mobile broadband working on the Pi!

Having done so, I have noticed that none of the 3 browsers supplied with the recommended raspbian distro render web pages correctly!

This is not a matter of opinion - they are not standards compliant.

This is very disorientating when familiar websites (such as this one) suddenly look weird.

of the 3 (Dillo, midori and netsurf) Dillo is the fastest and so only usable one in my opinion as the others are like running through treacle.

Is it unrealistic for me to expect correctly rendered webpages running at a usable speed from the pi?

This is my first post from the Pi and I hope that I will be tempted to use it for the web rather than firing up my lap-top unnecessarily, but this may depend on wheather there are any improvements in the browsers available....

...would I be better of with chrome?
by shawnanastasio » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:23 am
Dillo is obviously very deprecated, and completely unusable (except for debian documentation). I have not had much experience with netsurf, but i am posting this from Midori on my pi, and it works near perfectly. I have not seen any major webpage rendering errors on it. It runs fairly fast (but my Pi is slightly overclocked). That being said, you could install chromium, if you need html5 and bleeding edge features. But know this: as of now midori is the best compromise between accuracy and speed, as chromium is quite sluggish.
by ryanteck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:10 am
I have found chromium reasonably good for basic tasks that Midori and others can run, HTML5 is just not fast enough yet on the Pi.
Ryan Walmsley
17 Year Old Student & Geek
by pjc123 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:30 pm
pygmy_giant wrote:Having done so, I have noticed that none of the 3 browsers supplied with the recommended raspbian distro render web pages correctly!

I am having the same problem. It seems like every time I need to do something, I have to go through all three browsers before it works. One is missing items on the page, the other one will not let me download files, the next one will not let me cut and paste, etc. etc. I don't know if chromium is available for Wheezy, but maybe I will try that next.
My Project Website:
http://www.flaminghellmet.com/
by ryanteck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:09 pm
Should be, most common mistake is apt-get install chrome.
Apt-get install chromium worked for me last time I tried
Ryan Walmsley
17 Year Old Student & Geek
by pygmy_giant » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:08 pm
to qoute myself:

...none of the 3 browsers supplied with the recommended raspbian distro render web pages correctly!

This is not a matter of opinion - they are not standards compliant.
by r4049zt » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:17 pm
I've not tried chromium on the pi yet but it was quick and smart on my ubuntu linux pc.
I noticed that my own website looked fine on the default browser on the pi, but that many other websites did not. That suggests bad practice not complying to standards on much of the www.

Is it too much to ask reputable websites to serve standards-abiding web pages?
There is a whole lot of content out there which depends on proprietary flash media cpu-hogging code. Rather than program the pi to try to churn through gigaflops of wasted cpu cycles to emulate what windoze and flash do in 2012 (and might be slowed down even more in a later year), could we have a 'whitelist' at the isp of 'known-good' websites which don't bog down the browser or get wrong layout on the rPi and the simplest webpage browsers? That would be a big undertaking, but gets me out of buying a new PC after a couple of years of more updates creep.

There could even be a tickbox on the search engine to up the ranking of whitelisted websites.
by pygmy_giant » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:51 am
You can test how accurately your browser renders web pages here: http://acid3.acidtests.org/