Basic installation problem with sd card

4 posts
by sweeneylorcan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:33 pm
Hi,

I was wondering, can you use the Sd micro card inside the SD holder. I tried to copy the operating image over by win32 image software. I keep getting nothing. It is 0 data on the sd micro card.

I am using the operating system they have on the raspberry pi down load page which is Raspbian Wheezy. The win32 image seems to work at first, it reads and then writes.
Then it says it has done it and you click close. But when you check the sd micro card it is empty.
I unconpressed the folder zip file and saved it and then used win32 image to read and right the image and save it to the drive where the sd card is on.

Do you only use a SD card or can you use the micro sd card in side the sd holder.

I am using a Kingston sd micro sd card. It also said that you dont use a genric sd card.

Regards
by calebzulawski » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 pm
sweeneylorcan wrote:But when you check the sd micro card it is empty.

Due to the nature of the files copied to the SD card, you may not be able to see any of the files in windows. The card should not (I think) show up as empty, however.

sweeneylorcan wrote:Do you only use a SD card or can you use the micro sd card in side the sd holder.

This appears to work with varying success. Some people can use micro SD cards, and some people report that it does not work. It may be a problem with card compatibility, or it may be that your image was not written to the card properly (my guess)

I suggest trying to image the SD card again, carefully following the instructions. If that doesn't work, the problem may be your card.
by abishur » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:29 pm
I've been able to get things working with no problem with my "Patriot" Micro-SD card and associated adapter.

After you format the card in Windows, you should be able to see the FAT32 boot partition that has just a handful of files in it.

There shouldn't be any read operation that I'm aware of. You select the image, select the drive with the SD card and then hit "Write"
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by sweeneylorcan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm
I think you are right, I got into the habbit of reading and then righting it and it didn't work.

I looked back at how to do it and it only says write.

I had it working on a 4 gig micro card it seemed to work but when I booted it up it was working well but then the desk top was bigger than the screen so I couldn't go into the icons or the programs.

So I decided to erase the image and start again. Then it wouldn't work. I erased the disk and formated it and had it in fat first and then tried fat 32. It wouldn't work and I was following the instructions.

So you only write it to the micro sd card.

Thanks for your help.