LibreOffice or OpenOffice Installation

8 posts
by PeeWee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm
I am a brand new user of Raspberry Pi and very impressed so far, but I want to add software to my Raspberry Pi.

So, how do you install LibreOffice onto a Raspberry Pi? I have tried a couple of times using Terminal, but not having success. I want to use LibreOffice because I am writing a couple of user guides for LibreOffice as my contribution toward the project.

I am using a 16GB SDHC card in my Raspberry Pi.
I have used sudo apt-get install with no success. Also I have used LibreOffice instructions for Debian and RPM packages with no success.

Some help would be appreciated.

Regards

PeeWee (aka Peter Schofield)
by hunternet93 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:14 pm
My Pi's currently in a plastic container connected to a cell phone and WiFi dongle, so I can't check, but it should be:
Code: Select all
 sudo apt-get install libreoffice
by joan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:26 pm
Which distribution are you using? apt-get install works for me on Debian squeeze/wheezy.
by PeeWee » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 am
Hello

I am using the Raspbian wheezy, but will be trying the other distros once I can get hold of a monitor. Using the TV is not popular at home.

Regards

PeeWee
by joan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 am
I don't know how many Debian packages the Raspbian team have built and placed in their repository.

Are they planning to build all the Debian packages?
by megadave » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:47 pm
More to the point, if one adds the official debian repositories to a raspbian install, do the various libraries and core packages in raspbian provide the same set of dependencies to allow installation of typical user-side debian packages?

If not, then I'll stick with a debian install for my various intended applications, which will surely require various packages that probably will NOT be high-priority for raspbian maintainers. (Eg, Im not even running X on most of my planned setups, or even have a monitor/kb connected, strictly network access after initial networking setup from serial console)
by hunternet93 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:01 pm
I think that using standard Debian packages in Raspbian wouldn't work because of the soft/hard float difference. Most packages from Debian should be in Raspbian, however.
by PeeWee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 am
Hello

I have solved the problem of installing LibreOffice on my Raspberry Pi - install the distro BodhiLinux.

LibreOffice is one of the packages available if click on Add Software. Version 3.5.4 is installed which is not the latest (version 3.5.5 or 3.6 not yet released). It sill gives me a very useable Raspberry Pi. Now all I have to is install a printer once I get the wifi working.

Regards

PeeWee