Midori won't connect to any sites

7 posts
by tony_f » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:14 pm
Hi

I have set up a Belkin wireless connection on the RasPi. I can see that DHCP has allocated an IP address and I can ping e.g. www.google.co.uk and it connects succesfully, I run iwlist scan and I can see my modem (Orange Livebox) but I can't connect to any sites in Midori. Any thoughts?
by alexeames » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:47 am
I don't really use my Pi for browsing, but I did try it out when new. I found chromium was a faster browser.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
by exartemarte » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:22 am
It may not be to do with Midori, although I agree with alexeames about Chromium. Losing the network connection in LXDE, even though it works from the command prompt, is a fairly common experience - there's a thread here. It is thought to be power-related, although the compatibility of certain hub chip-sets has also been brought into question.

I presume you are powering your Belkin adapter from a hub, and not directly from the Pi...

For me the issues disappeared when I powered the Pi from a usb port on the hub instead from its own separate power supply, even though the power supply I was using for the Pi was a decent quality, UK sourced, 2A one. So the problem seems to have been using multiple supplies, rather than the adequacy of a particular supply.

My Pi setup has now been stable and reliable for several weeks, which means I can spend my time doing interesting things with it rather than trying to make it work.
by tony_f » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:31 am
Hi

Thank for the responses. Yes, the adapter is connected via a powered hub. I guess I need to play around with the set-up and see if I can find the combination of connections that works. Is there any logging that would indicate whether it's a power related issue?
by exartemarte » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:05 am
Can't help you with the logging - what I know about Linux could be written on a postage stamp.

Have you tried powering the Pi from the hub? That has worked for me and for a number of others.
by JeremyF » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:33 pm
Well you could use the dmesg command to find out if there were any errors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by johngood » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:15 am
I think you need to press the button marked 1 on the live box for a few seconds and then try the connection(think that will pair the pi to the livebox