Boot Errors


10 posts
by geffers » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:09 pm
I need to try and narrow down if this is a board problem or some other setup problem.

On boot I get a continuous error;
mmc0: Error 110 whilst initialising SD card and Problem reading SD status register.

After a period of time, up to 5 minutes it boots.

HDPARM -t shows 1.16MB/sec which is ridiculously slow (10.43MB/sec) on my HP laptop.

A Sandisk Extreme Class 10 will not boot at all continuously giving error;
mmc0: timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.

Using a 1AMP PSU.

Geffers
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 am
Location: UK
by alexeames » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:13 pm
Sounds like an SD card issue to me. Are you using the debian wheezy beta? It works with a wider selection of SD cards than the Squeeze version.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by mahjongg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:15 pm
Read the wiki first, all your topics are discussed there, and in other forumtopics, like this one:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=113423#p113423
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5690
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
by geffers » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:50 am
mahjongg wrote:Read the wiki first, all your topics are discussed there, and in other forumtopics, like this one:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=113423#p113423


Thanks Mahjongg, that sorted my unbranded (Supposedly Toshiba) SD card but strangely not my Sandisk Extreme.

Tried Wheezy on the Sandisk but I get nothing after the Raspberry image comes up on the screen.

Geffers
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 am
Location: UK
by mahjongg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 pm
Perhaps the "SanDisk extreme" is a cheap chinese copy, a "fake". Its especially the SanDisk Extreme brand that is copied, and a large part of SanDisk Extremes you buy on ebay are fakes!

Just google for "SanDisk fake" and you will see what I mean.

The biggest problem (except very low quality and speed) is that "2 GB" fake cards often actually are only capable of storing 1 GB.
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5690
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
by geffers » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:48 pm
mahjongg wrote:Perhaps the "SanDisk extreme" is a cheap chinese copy, a "fake". Its especially the SanDisk Extreme brand that is copied, and a large part of SanDisk Extremes you buy on ebay are fakes!
.


I think I am OK with the sandisk, bought from a reputable outlet (Not ebay) and it shows as 16GB.

Geffers
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 am
Location: UK
by mahjongg » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:10 pm
There is a recent discovered issue with pullups not enabled on some of the SD-card control and data lines, which can be solved in software, but might not yet have been in the software you have been using.
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5690
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
by dom » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:47 pm
mahjongg wrote:There is a recent discovered issue with pullups not enabled on some of the SD-card control and data lines, which can be solved in software, but might not yet have been in the software you have been using.


Yes download bootcode.bin from here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot
and replace the one on your sdcard.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by geffers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:28 pm
dom wrote:
mahjongg wrote:There is a recent discovered issue with pullups not enabled on some of the SD-card control and data lines, which can be solved in software, but might not yet have been in the software you have been using.


Yes download bootcode.bin from here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot
and replace the one on your sdcard.


OK, done that, will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks,

Geffers
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 am
Location: UK
by geffers » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:45 pm
dom wrote:
mahjongg wrote:There is a recent discovered issue with pullups not enabled on some of the SD-card control and data lines, which can be solved in software, but might not yet have been in the software you have been using.


Yes download bootcode.bin from here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot
and replace the one on your sdcard.


regretfully that didn't work, same error message :(

Geffers
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 am
Location: UK