FTP server-twoftpd

5 posts
by rleyden » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:57 am
I just set up my RPi as a FTP server by installing twoftpd. I was blown away by how easy it was. I've set up FTP servers under both windows and Ubuntu and it always seemed to take many iterations to get it working the way I want it.
I'm not sure it matters but I'm currently using wheezy-beta-2012-06-18.
Here's the entire set up
Code: Select all
  sudo apt-get install twoftpd-run     

There's a warning message at the end of the install that /var/ftp doesn't exist, so
Code: Select all
   sudo mkdir /var/ftp 

OK, so I figured I needed to configure it to get it working. I searched the web and found two completely different setup procedures, neither of which I could even begin because I was missing the files or "command not found".
So, I thought what the heck and just ftp'ed into my RPi from my windows laptop. The Pi accepted my user name and password and put me into my home directory (/home/pi). File transfers work flawlessly. Folders below this were accessible but everywhere else isn't including /var/ftp (so maybe I didn't need it after all). This is fine for what I want to now. I can ssh or set up a script to move the files around, to /var/www, for example.
I thought this might be helpful to other RPi users.
Rich
by wolf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 am
Thanks for the Info. I installed it succesfully with
sudo apt-get install twoftpd
(the twoftpd-run did not work, but the above seems to be OK)

Everything went fine, I could ftp and everything.
But after the next reboot of rPi I do not figure out how to launch it again. Please help.

Thanks
by billybangleballs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:15 am
I use winscp (http://winscp.net) from my windows pc to copy files back and forth from the pi.
Other than being a bit slow in transferring big files, it works every time and doesn't need anything installing on the pi.
by wolf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm
twoftpd is perfect: easy to install & fast. I prefer having the server on the rPi. The only thing, I do not know how to launch it (it did automatically after installation, but only after installation). But I'll find out.

wolf
by chris57100 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:01 am
Hi,
No script in /etc/init.d that could be start with the command update.rc-d ? Else you can create your own script and then start it automatically in the boot process
Raspberry Pi Home Server : http://www.pihomeserver.fr
Software tutorials : Samba, Airplay, CUPS, Time machine, MPD+Rompr, Nginx, Owncloud, rTorrent, Wordpress, Joomla, Subsonic, VNC, etc.
Electronic tutorials : Mobile Data Recorder, LCD screen, Weather station, etc.