Internet shortcuts on the desktop ...

3 posts
by kaspencer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:58 pm
Greetings all ...

It seems to me that Linux's method of generating desktop shortcuts is rather complex. At least it seems so to me (despite having worked with various OSs over 35years!).

So if I wish to create a desktop shortcut to an Internet website, what is the simplest (or even just achievable) method of doing that? Netsurf or Midori will do!

Many thanks in advance,

Kenneth Spencer
2x256Mb + 2x512Mb RPi, Eth'netLAN+Win2k3R2 svr, 40MbpsFTTC.
RaspBMC: 128G SD, K400 wl Kb+TPd, HD32tv&Rem.
RW'y webserver: 64G SD, Y-RK49 wl Kb+M, HannsG W24" screen
RW'y PDC & fileserver: as above + 2TB disc.
+RiscOSPi on 32G uSD.
by penguintutor » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:37 pm
This is not a Linux feature - but rather a limitation of LXDE - the lightweight window manager used in the Raspbian image.

On my Linux laptop running KDE I can drag a bookmark from KDE and add it to the desktop as an icon or a Desktop Widget. On a lighter Window Manager such as xfce then I can drag and drop from Firefox bookmarks and it adds an icon as you'd expect.

But that's what you get when you pay several hundred pounds for a computer. For a computer costing only $25 you need to run something with less features. It's still fairly easy to create an icon, but you need to open a text editor (the Raspberry Pi is supposed to be fairly easy, but not too easy anyway).

Create a text file in /home/pi/Desktop - called <name>.desktop
eg RaspberryPi.desktop

Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Link
Name=Raspberry Pi website
Comment=The infamous Raspberry Pi computer
Icon=/home/pi/raspberrypi.jpg
URL=http://www.raspberrypi.org

These should be self-explanatory, but you'll need to download your own icon separately.
by kaspencer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:21 am
Thankyou, Stewart ...

Your example was sufficient to allow me to do what I needed.

Your reference to KDE in dragging from a Browser window onto the desktop is much more what I was expecting and have encountered previously. Incidentally my first experience of Linux was in 1992, with the Yggdrasil release from Stonesoup - must have been one of the first public releases - I still have the CD somewhere. And my first self-built computer was a 6502 based machine with 2k RAM built in 1978 when building a computer meant soldering 2,500 joints, and then having to design, etch and solder a 16k static RAM memory copper clad fibre add-on board to make it do anything worthwhile.

Of course the performance of the CPU/RAM/Graphics hardware is only partially a function of the cost, as borne out by the fact that one would generally have to pay much more than £29 for most PCs that would play an HD video in 1920x1080 with 5.1 Dolby. But it is true that media applications apart, the Raspberry Pi makes very hard work indeed of running even the light LXDE desktop environment.

All the best ...

Ken
2x256Mb + 2x512Mb RPi, Eth'netLAN+Win2k3R2 svr, 40MbpsFTTC.
RaspBMC: 128G SD, K400 wl Kb+TPd, HD32tv&Rem.
RW'y webserver: 64G SD, Y-RK49 wl Kb+M, HannsG W24" screen
RW'y PDC & fileserver: as above + 2TB disc.
+RiscOSPi on 32G uSD.