Starting with the BASICS

6 posts
by Batdragon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:15 pm
I have only just been introduced to the Raspberry PI and it does interest me. The issue I have is that the actual website does not seem to have the documentation for download for the new v2 board.

Looking at the images there seem to be connecting ports that are not listed, for example there is what looks like a ribbon cable connector (similar to a laptop keyboard connector) on the opposite side of the SD slot, whay is this?

Can someone point me in the direction of where all the information can be found on the board. nice and simple would be a bonus with loads of pictures so I can start to get my head around it.

Many thanks
by malakai » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:44 pm
I am trying my best http://www.raspians.com go to the blogs section on the right hand side and you can see a ton that I have gathered also in the youtube section are a bunch of great video tutorials.

As far as the connectors go they are for hooking up devices you can see some examples that I have found and am trying to get through look for http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk he has the best pics for the pinouts. Note there are 2 boards with different pin connections if you just got yours you have the updated v2 pinouts. I know I have a lot of improvements to make and I try to add something everyday. I have only been at this just over a month.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by paultnl » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:57 pm
A good start for all the basic information plus lots of other interesting things http://www.themagpi.com/
I don't like Russian dolls, they are so full of themselves
by meltwater » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:21 pm
Hi I'm one of the MagPi team,

Since you are looking at the Raspberry Pi with some fresh eyes, it would be good to know what sort of information you would find useful.

An updated tour of the Raspberry Pi features seems to be in order for starters...And probably a more up to date walk through of the initial power on I expect would be helpful too.

Anyway, open to suggestions, since obviously we forget what it is like to pick up the little green pi up for the first time.

@paultnl It is always great to see the MagPi being recommended, so many thanks!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
by Batdragon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:31 pm
When I wrote the original post I did not actually have my mitts on a RPI. I do now though. Have not had a chance to switch it on yet though as the tv has been under the control of the other half & the kids.

My background is microprocessor based going way into the dim distant past before windows was an operating system and I did my programming in assembly. I like many lost touch with true programming with the use of pre made software and it's nice GUI. I have started to re teach myself programming with a couple of basic programmes that revolve around the windows environment. I have also started to get used to the Linux environment by using the ubuntu based Zorin.

What I initially want to use the RPI for is to turn tv's into networked terminals for media playing over my networks. From there I want to develop them into simple dumb (but not so dumb) terminals that will be usable by young kids for the internet but able to monitor and control everything there by the OS used. After I have gotten my head around all of the different uses for the RPI I am hoping to start to link more and more of them together to create a multi processor server system as the hub of my network.

I like the idea of being able to control other things from it like the com port of a normal pc but also to be able to make if into a dynamic test tool for zone many other applications.

I do have one question though, which might be answered on the pages referenced above that I've not looked at. Has anyone managed to drive a laptop screen using the RPI? I have a few laptops that have dead mother boards in that I think it would be so cool to rip apart and put in a RPI and then pack it out with battery power so I would have what looks like an old pc that on one would think of stealing and it would be my companion while camping or traveling as it would last week's on a charge. Ok I know not weeks but a very long time. If I could get the existing screen working that would be a good start as to where I want to go with it.

Many thanks to you all for not chewing me out for asking basic questions and for taking the time to reply. I hope that the grey matter will kick into gear soon and I'll be able to contribute my findings and knowledge to the forum.
by meltwater » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:04 pm
"After I have gotten my head around all of the different uses for the RPI" Yes this is a problem I have too, what to do first and what to spend time on. Hours can be lost with it! It can also help to have more than one card so you can switch it's OS easily.

For media, a good starting point is using one of the XBMC based distros, since a lot of these have everything running quite well out of the box. It will give you a good overview of what it can do in that area without too much fuss.

There has been a lot of talk from day one about using laptop screens and various LCDs, often though it comes down to available controllers. Basically, it isn't easy unless you can find something which converts the hdmi signal into the right one for your particular screen. The display connector is yet to be supported by the foundation, and it is likely it will support specific displays only.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam