Unit DOA?

6 posts
by wilsont » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 am
Hello,
I just got the newer 512 PI board, ordered the AC adapter, Debian SD card, and case from Newark.
Hooked it all up and only get a power lite; no activity lite or anything on the screen. I'm using the HDMI video out. Is there something wrong with the board, or is there some kind of necessary tweak. Please let me know before I call Newark.
Thanks,
Wilsont
by billb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 am
Here's the troubleshooting page on the wiki for what you've described:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... on_display
by Vindicator » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:52 am
An empty sdcard will cause the same power light only so I suggest putting the SD card in a reader and attach to a PC and see if you see a 75Mb partition with .elf and .txt files in it.

If this partition and files are not there you will only get the red light.

I would recommend this as the first test rather than a DOA board.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.
by wilsont » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:23 pm
Vindicator wrote:An empty sdcard will cause the same power light only so I suggest putting the SD card in a reader and attach to a PC and see if you see a 75Mb partition with .elf and .txt files in it.

If this partition and files are not there you will only get the red light.

I would recommend this as the first test rather than a DOA board.

Vindicator, thatnks for the reply. You comments make sense, except I used the purchased Linux pre-loaded SD card. I'm wondering if the card was blank. Any other reports of blank SD cards from Newark?
Thanks,
WilsonT
by RaTTuS » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:33 pm
dunno but if your able it would be worth putting the latest version of wheezy on it anyway
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by Sm1thson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:50 pm
A friend had the same, the card wasn't blank and the partition with the files as described above showed on windows but it didn't boot. I put the latest wheasy on and it worked fine.