connecting raspberry with pc

5 posts
by newfan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:50 pm
is it possible to connect them via lan cabel?
this probly mean I haveto activate my windows DHCP server?
by jamesh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:55 pm
Do you normally use a router or switch (ie what does your PC plug into for ethernet connection?)? If you do have a router or switch, just plug the Raspi in to that.
by rickseiden » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:16 pm
Yes, a direct connection is possible, but you have to configure the eth0 on the Pi to use a static IP address, configure the LAN card on the Windows PC to use a static IP address, then use a special crossover cable.

I've done it when I didn't have an extra port on my router, but it's much easier to just plug you're Pi right into your router, then use your router's admin page(s) to find the Pi's IP address, and use SSH with PuTTY to access your Pi.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
by bgirardot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:27 pm
You can always give a regular ethernet cable a try if you are going directly from pc to RPi as most ethernet is auto sensing and will work fine with a regular straight through ethernet cable.

If it doesn't work it doesn't harm anything, but it probably will work.
by DirkS » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:06 am
bgirardot wrote:You can always give a regular ethernet cable a try if you are going directly from pc to RPi as most ethernet is auto sensing and will work fine with a regular straight through ethernet cable.

The Pi's ethernet port *is* auto-sensing, so you can indeed use a regular (straight) ethernet cable.

Gr.
Dirk.