Request: Make subscription emails more useful?

4 posts
by clickykbd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:56 pm
Just a request.

I like that I can subscribe to updates on a topic. But right now the email notifications you get are a bare format with just links to the topic/post. It would be NICE if the content of the post was included too. As all topics here are publicly viewable I don't see a security issue with doing so.

Then we could keep up without bouncing out of our email clients constantly. Only do so when I have something to add.

A way to subscribe to "New Topics" (perhaps per forum category) would also be handy, not newly bumped with a reply, just the new ones as they are first posted.

Thanks for considering the request. Cheers!
Ryan
by AndrewS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:09 pm
It seems like you get a "new subscribed post" email the first time there's an unread post in the topic, but not for any subsequent posts, which means you get "spammed" with less emails. You only get another "new subscribed post" email after there's a new post after you've read the topic in question.
I guess the change you're suggesting would require a separate email for every new post, which I suppose the raspberrypi.org mailserver wouldn't thank you for! ;)
by bonelifer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:30 am
That would take a mod. The mod "Prime Notify" does this: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/prime_notify You won't receive a new topic reply from a topic till after you've visited the "board" itself.

bonelifer,
phpBB.com Moderator Team Member
Location: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=147848
by clickykbd » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:36 am
It seems like you get a "new subscribed post" email the first time there's an unread post in the topic, but not for any subsequent posts, which means you get "spammed" with less emails. You only get another "new subscribed post" email after there's a new post after you've read the topic in question.

I *think* you are discussing how notify works within one thread (post and it's replies). I'm talking about the forum categories such as "Announcements" ( viewforum.php?f=22 ). I currently see no way to "subscribe" to new threads created under announcements (or any other such heading). I can only subscribe to individual threads and the replies.

As for the first request though, I do see the subtle behavior now about not getting a notice for every single reply, just the first one after your last visit. That does make including post content in the notification a little less helpful. :-(