URL Links Not Opening In New Window/Tab

8 posts
by SN » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Guys

Is there any chance you can fix/change this.
Currently when you click on a link in a post, the link opens in the same tab/window, if this is an external link you are thrown off the raspberrypi.org site
It makes more sense (to me) that the link should open in a new tab/window so the raspberrypi.org site view is left untouched in the original tab/window

If you agree with me, instructions on how to do this can be found at the PphpBB site
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-o ... w-windows/

If you don't, it doesn't matter
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by AndrewS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:39 pm
I usually just middle-mouse-button click (or right-click open-in-tab if using my laptop).
by bonelifer » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:01 pm
I've mentioned the Prime Links mod before for giving external links different colors and an icon. It also can open external links in a different tab.
Location: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=147848
by RaspISteve » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:20 pm
Yep. Please put me down for one of these (a new Tab whenever following an embedded URL).

My preference would be to avoid a new browser instance, I end up loosing track of them all, close the wrong one and end up back at an empty screen having totally lost the thread.
by bantu » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:35 pm
In my opinion there is nothing to fix here. You should just use your browser accordingly instead.
by Joe Schmoe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm
bantu wrote:In my opinion there is nothing to fix here. You should just use your browser accordingly instead.

Typical forum attitude. Fix it on your end, don't bother us with requests to fix it at the source.

Granted, it usually boils down to that - because it probably won't get fixed at the source - but that doesn't mean that it is right not to try (*).

(*) Getting it fixed where it should be fixed.

P.S. Yes, in my browser, I've learned to always right click and select "Open in new tab" instead of simply blindly left clicking the link. Live and learn, but it should not be necessary to do this.
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by itimpi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:35 pm
The problem with making it open a new tab/window as default behavior is that if you do not want that you are stuck. i hate forums that forcibly open up new windows/tabs whenve you click on a URL - I want the ability to decide on a case-by-case basis.
by scep » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 am
The W3C recommendation is that you don't open links in new tabs or windows, largely for accessibilty reasons. (You may wish to do so occasionally, but it should not be the default behaviour.)

Accessibility aside, opening in new tabs / windows forces browser behaviour on the user and removes control from them, which is considered bad practice. By using CTRL-click / middle click / right click-context menu, users can decide on the behaviour for themselves.