Can't search for "SD card" or similar phrases

17 posts
by lgt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 am
I know that people have had trouble with certain SD cards but couldn't remember where the information was, so tried to search the forum. However, even using advanced search and a query of +SD +card, the forum software only tells me that these words are "too common" and refuses to search. Combining them as "SD card" did not work either. Apparently the software thinks "short" is a synonym for "common".

I'm sure there are plenty of other two- and three-letter acronyms that people will need to search for. Perhaps the more frequent ones (like SD) could be added to an "acceptable" list for searching, or perhaps the advanced search should have an option for "yes, I really mean to search for this phrase".
by bredman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:48 am
There is too much reliance on the forum for technical information. It would be much better to use the wiki to search for the latest verified information.

In this case, the information on SD cards is at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards
by markb » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:06 am
bredman wrote:There is too much reliance on the forum for technical information. It would be much better to use the wiki to search for the latest verified information.

In this case, the information on SD cards is at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards

Problem is, searching the wiki for 'SD Cards' returns a load of superfluous hits that have nothing to do with the Rpi.
by keylevel » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 pm
However, I've found someone with one that doesn't work, and it would be really nice to be able to find the 'send a bad card here' post...
by AndrewS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 pm
by Joe Schmoe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:31 pm
Short summary: This BBS software sucks.

But we must live with it.
Oh, how I wish that the signature facility on this board weren't so broken.

It is broken in that every time you change your signature, all of your posts reflect the change, not just those going forward.
by abishur » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:56 pm
Joe Schmoe wrote:Short summary: This BBS software sucks.

Seeing as how this is the *3rd* forum software on the pi site, I think it's safe to say that *ALL* forum software sucks in some regard :-P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by grumpyoldgit » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 pm
I often find that something I am searching for on the site comes up blank.
I find it is much easier to google the phrase and add raspberry pi on the end.
This generally brings up much better results.
by DirkS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:32 pm
grumpyoldgit wrote:I often find that something I am searching for on the site comes up blank.
I find it is much easier to google the phrase and add raspberry pi on the end.
This generally brings up much better results.

Even better if you use google site search by adding 'site:www.raspberrypi.org/phpbb3/'

Gr
Dirk.
by captainwebb » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 am
Add "D-Bus" to the list of terms search can't find. Particularly annoying, since it's a term I used in a post I wanted to find quickly ...
by helgej » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:57 am
I also think it's rather annoying that you can't search for multi-word terms. Using quotes does not work, and simple conjunctions fail for terms like "class 6" or even "network programming" due to the term exclusion.
While I understand that "6" is excluded, why did they decide to exclude "programming"?
I consider the search function useless.
by pjc123 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:36 pm
Joe Schmoe wrote:Short summary: This BBS software sucks.

This says it all. I have to say that I use a lot of fantastic open source free software, but I have never seen anything quite as bad as this BBS software, assuming that it is set up properly. Among other problems, it is pretty sad when I have to use Google to search for terms on this forum.
by mhmediaonline » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:18 pm
It claims not to know about apt-get also! :roll:

Information: No posts were found because the word apt-get is not contained in any post.
---
Raspberry Pi - One of my Five-a-Day
by mahjongg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 pm
site:raspberrypi.org apt-get
gives 23.800 results!

I only use the built in search for merely the simplest of searches, for almost all things I use googles site search.
I do not have much of a problem with that.

phpBBS is perhaps the most used BBS software, and the raspberry PI's use of it is a good choice, even though phpBBS has obvious limitations.
Enough said. lets waste no more breath about it. Its not as if the RPF can change much about it, its just one of the hundred of thousand sites that is using it.
There is one thing you can do if you don't like something about the RPF's theming of phpBBS, and that is to simply not use it, by switching to the prosilver theme.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by mahjongg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:49 pm
mhmediaonline wrote:It claims not to know about apt-get also! :roll:

Information: No posts were found because the word apt-get is not contained in any post.

it doesn't like the '-', if you use "apt get" it will find more than 200 entries.

I suspect it uses '-' as "but not with" syntactically, so you are searching for posts that have "apt" in them but not "get", which won't be many!

P.S. searching for apt-asdfg and not finding anything proves this isn't the case after all, its more likely the '-' is simply thrown away, and you are searching for "aptget".
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jim JKla » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:52 pm
Could the standard error message be changed to point to a wiki page with some hints like that apt get drop the minus and the Verified hardware page.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by mahjongg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:56 pm
Bah! wrong again, as "aptget" does give entries!

:lol:

I concur with Jim Jkla, but would also suggest it mentions you can search with google using the site: option.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator