No easy way to spot "unread" forums

6 posts
by AndrewS » Tue May 22, 2012 9:49 am
On the "Board Index" page, using the "Raspite theme", the only way to tell if a sub-forum has any unread posts, is to mouse-hover over the forum link, and the tooltip either says "Unread posts" or "No unread posts".
It would be nice if there was an icon or something so you could tell at-a-glance which sub-forums had unread posts in. Unlike other forum-regulars, I'm only interested in reading posts from particular sub-forums, I'm not interested in "all unread posts" from all forums ;)

Yeah yeah, I know this is available in the prosilver theme, but I'm trying to help make the raspite theme more useful!
And why's it taking so long to make hyperlinks in posts more visually obvious :?: :|
by grumpyoldgit » Tue May 22, 2012 9:55 am
But the Raspite theme is complete pants!
by Gert van Loo » Tue May 22, 2012 6:12 pm
grumpyoldgit wrote:But the Raspite theme is complete pants!

That is your opinion.
I switched to the prosilver theme and ran away screaming. Had to take some Valium before I had the courage to search trough it how to switch back. :-)
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by kadamski » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 am
I would like to bump this post since I do have the same issues. I even installed stylish firefox extension and wrote custom script that fixes this 2 issues. The problem is that I very often read forum from my phone and I don't have anything like stylish there.
It would be great if admin could add two CSS rules to the style:
1. To mark forums without unread posts, something like:
Code: Select all
dt[title="No unread posts"] a.forumtitle {font-weight: normal;}

2. To make hyperlinks in posts more visible, something like:
a.postlink {text-decoration: underline;}

or slightly change the colour.

2nd issue is quite important for all users using touchscreen since there is no way to hover links and I often have to click everywhere in the post to check where's the link mentioned in the text.

If anybody is interested, here's my little stylish script. I believe it should be working on both firefox and chromium but you need stylish extension installed:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("www.raspberrypi.org"), domain("raspberrypi.org")  {
dt[title="No unread posts"] a.forumtitle {font-weight: normal!important;}
a.postlink {text-decoration: underline!important;}
}
by SN » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:44 am
Gert van Loo wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:But the Raspite theme is complete pants!

That is your opinion.
I switched to the prosilver theme and ran away screaming. Had to take some Valium before I had the courage to search trough it how to switch back. :-)

Gert... you never used a phpBB forume before? :shock: phpBB3 prosilver is as close to a standard as you can get on the internet....
raspite looks nices, and Eben obviously put a lot of work in to it but there are just enough gotchas which restrict its usability for me

@OP - just use Board Index / New Posts links and you get the new posts in two clicks 8-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by Swen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:06 pm
kadamski wrote:If anybody is interested, here's my little stylish script. I believe it should be working on both firefox and chromium but you need stylish extension installed:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("www.raspberrypi.org"), domain("raspberrypi.org")  {
dt[title="No unread posts"] a.forumtitle {font-weight: normal!important;}
a.postlink {text-decoration: underline!important;}
}

Thank you - made my day :mrgreen:
i used;
a {
color: firebrick;
text-decoration: underline;
}
Ich hab keine Ahnung - Ich kann nur gut mit Google umgehen ;)