Annoyances with the new forum

10 posts
by RaTTuS » Tue May 22, 2012 8:43 am
1) can the page title be the topic name [if I have sever open it's better to have an indication on what each tab is]
2) is there a view recent topics option so I can check up on what is happening without having to trawl though all the topics
3) no 3 yet
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by RaTTuS » Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 am
aha to answer my #2 ...
search.php?search_id=active_topics seems to do what I want
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by grumpyoldgit » Tue May 22, 2012 8:47 am
Most of what you want is on the Board Index page but nowhere else. I just have short cuts on my toolbar so I don't have to faf about.
by bredman » Tue May 22, 2012 8:51 am
Issue 1 was driving me nuts. I tried to keep a page open for each topic, but couldn't tell which was which.

Issue 1 became redundant when I found an answer to Issue 2.
- Go to Board Index
- Click on "View unread posts"

This gives me a single page that I can keep refreshed. Luckily I still have a few spare F5 keys from the February madness.
by milhouse » Tue May 22, 2012 9:06 am
bredman wrote:Issue 1 was driving me nuts. I tried to keep a page open for each topic, but couldn't tell which was which.

Issue 1 became redundant when I found an answer to Issue 2.
- Go to Board Index
- Click on "View unread posts"

This gives me a single page that I can keep refreshed. Luckily I still have a few spare F5 keys from the February madness.

Yeah but prefixing each page title with "Raspberry Pi • View topic - " is annoying, as the page title only needs to be "Annoyances with the new forum", plus the Raspberry Pi favicon (although in future versions of Firefox I believe even these are going to be deprecated due to security concerns).

Other forums don't have an annoying prefix, thus making multiple tabs easier to navigate between as you then have a snippet visible of the thread subject. With the R-Pi forum I have to hover the mouse (in Firefox) over the tab to get the full page title in a tooltip.

Presumably there is a configuration option to remove the unnecessary and redundant prefix from each page title when viewing threads?
by SN » Tue May 22, 2012 10:34 am
'Annoying' Prefix is a default but appears burnt into style/templates as I can't find anyway to turn it off in my own personal phpBB V3 installation
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by bonelifer » Fri May 25, 2012 5:24 pm
Here's the code that's merged into phpBB 3.1(which also works for the 3.x line)

Summary of what it does:
This is a patch that will tweak phpBB's page titles in the following way (in response to this topic http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 81&t=32730)
It aims to correct the page titles in phpBB to be more search engine friendly and bookmark friendly.
• When viewing forums, forum names come first, followed by the site name: Current Forum - My Site Name
• When viewing topics, topic titles come first, followed by the site name: Current Topic - My Site Name
• The 'View Forum' and 'View Topic' text is omitted from the title.
• This will also add Page Numbering to paginated forums and topics, (this idea/code inspired from a MOD by Greenweaver and Evil<3): Current Topic - Page 3 - My Site Name.
• The use of bullets are replaced by hyphens, so there are always only hyphens between title subjects
• All other pages like UCP, MCP, etc will display the page title the way phpBB has in the past, except using hyphens instead of bullets

OPEN: phpBB/language/en/common.php
FIND:
Code: Select all
'PAGE_OF'            => 'Page <strong>%1$d</strong> of <strong>%2$d</strong>',

AFTER, ADD:
   'PAGE_TITLE_NUMBER'    => 'Page %s',

OPEN: phpBB/styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html
FIND:
<title>{SITENAME} &bull; <!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} &bull; <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} &bull; <!-- ENDIF -->{PAGE_TITLE}</title>

REPLACE WITH:
<title><!-- IF not S_VIEWTOPIC and not S_VIEWFORUM -->{SITENAME} - <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} - <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} - <!-- ENDIF -->{PAGE_TITLE}<!-- IF S_VIEWTOPIC or S_VIEWFORUM --> - {SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --></title>

OPEN: phpBB/styles/subsilver2/template/overall_header.html
FIND:
<title>{SITENAME} &bull; <!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} &bull; <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} &bull; <!-- ENDIF -->{PAGE_TITLE}</title>

REPLACE WTIH:
<title><!-- IF not S_VIEWTOPIC and not S_VIEWFORUM -->{SITENAME} - <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} - <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} - <!-- ENDIF -->{PAGE_TITLE}<!-- IF S_VIEWTOPIC or S_VIEWFORUM --> - {SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --></title>

OPEN: phpBB/viewforum.php
FIND:
page_header($user->lang['VIEW_FORUM'] . ' - ' . $forum_data['forum_name'], true, $forum_id);

REPLACE WITH:
page_header($forum_data['forum_name'] . ($start ? ' - ' . sprintf($user->lang['PAGE_TITLE_NUMBER'], floor($start / $config['topics_per_page']) + 1) : ''), true, $forum_id);

OPEN: phpBB/viewtopic.php
FIND:
page_header($user->lang['VIEW_TOPIC'] . ' - ' . $topic_data['topic_title'], true, $forum_id);

REPLACE WITH:
page_header($topic_data['topic_title'] . ($start ? ' - ' . sprintf($user->lang['PAGE_TITLE_NUMBER'], floor($start / $config['posts_per_page']) + 1) : ''), true, $forum_id);

For those that can read and use diffs, the diff link on github:
https://github.com/naderman/phpbb3/comp ... t/VSE/9532

The original RFC topic for the code above: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 84&t=32742
Location: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=147848
by bonelifer » Fri May 25, 2012 5:25 pm
Now for my opinion. I personally hope they implement this change on the default style.
Location: http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=147848
by milhouse » Fri May 25, 2012 7:03 pm
bonelifer wrote:Here's the code that's merged into phpBB 3.1(which also works for the 3.x line)

If there were a "Thanks" button on this forum, I'd have clicked it for your post. :)

I hope to see the changes implemented for both Prosilver and the default theme.
by Mattylad » Sat May 26, 2012 12:35 am
Something other than a white background would be good - my eyes can't take the harshness.

When you have searched - a back to the forum link?