Forum Tree Structure

4 posts
by Tigs1962 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:51 pm
Hi,
Is there any possibility that these forums will be upgraded in the future so that Posts and Replies will be displayed in a more user friendly way?
I have been on many different Forum sites over the years and the ones that are easiest to Navigate are the ones where Headed Forums (such as "Feedback and requests") contain Topics with a + next to them.
Under these Topics are all the replies and sub-replies from other people.
The really good sites allow people to "like" which reply they like the most and this reply is pushed to the top of the list. This way, if a Topic has a lot of replies, then people viewing it are quite likely to read the best answer right after the question. This would greatly improve navigation of the site.

Under the Topic "How to start using your Raspberry Pi" is a whole load of Posts discussing the correct choice of voltage for the power supply. Now, don't get me wrong, I am sure that they all have great technical merit, but the fact of the matter is that surely most beginners will have bought the recommended power supply from the people selling them the Pi, probably along with an SD Card, and HDMi lead and maybe a few other bits. The likelihood that you are going to be rumaging around in your cupboard under the stairs trying to find a suitable PSU after waiting so long for your Pi to arrive seems a littl unlikely.

Perhaps you could ask Farnel and RS just how many people bought a Pi without a PSU?
Thanks for listening.
by AndrewS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 am
Tigs1962 wrote:surely most beginners will have bought the recommended power supply from the people selling them the Pi, probably along with an SD Card, and HDMi lead and maybe a few other bits. The likelihood that you are going to be rumaging around in your cupboard under the stairs trying to find a suitable PSU after waiting so long for your Pi to arrive seems a littl unlikely.

Well, that's what you'd hope ;) But given various forum postings I've seen, it seems like there is a lot of "rummaging" going on :(
That's probably partly because in some places people have said "the RPi works with the peripherals you already have", and partly because the RPi is so cheap that people think it'll just work fine with similarly cheap (which tends to mean low quality or mis-labelled) peripherals :?
by Tigs1962 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:56 am
AndrewS wrote:
Tigs1962 wrote:surely most beginners will have bought the recommended power supply from the people selling them the Pi, probably along with an SD Card, and HDMi lead and maybe a few other bits. The likelihood that you are going to be rumaging around in your cupboard under the stairs trying to find a suitable PSU after waiting so long for your Pi to arrive seems a littl unlikely.

Well, that's what you'd hope ;) But given various forum postings I've seen, it seems like there is a lot of "rummaging" going on :(
That's probably partly because in some places people have said "the RPi works with the peripherals you already have", and partly because the RPi is so cheap that people think it'll just work fine with similarly cheap (which tends to mean low quality or mis-labelled) peripherals :?

Hi AndrewS. Thanks for the response. In retrospect I suppose I was niaive to assume that people were going to spend a "lot" of money when the whole point of the Pi is to keep it cheap. :(
Any thoughts on the format of the Forum though?
by AndrewS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 am
Tigs1962 wrote:Any thoughts on the format of the Forum though?

Nah, I leave that decision up to the moderators :)