.....users (re:where to start learning C, C++)

38 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by secretreeve » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:22 pm
thanks. i looked at the python wiki page, some helpful information on the python language. still pretty complicated but a bit more agreeable with me.

i suppose it doesnt help that i spent most of today diagnosing a wierd motherboard problem so then looking into programming between that.....like smelling mint then lavender, then mind, then lavender, eventually it all becomes over whelming.

on a side note i wish to address something else:

i will appologise to anyone who has taken offence to my previous posts or took them badly. they wasnt meant to be. anyways, sorry bout that.
by jojopi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 pm
jamesh wrote:I wouldn't learn C from the K&R book...lots of bugs in the examples and horrible style conventions.
http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/l ... ych55.html
Can you cite any of either? The link you gave can not, and I am not at all convinced there are any.

Errors in programming books are pretty rampant. But that is exactly why you should learn from a book like K&R2 or Stroustrup, (co-)authored by the language or compiler designer. Not from someone who is famous mostly for being controversial.
by johnbeetem » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 pm
jamesh wrote:I wouldn't learn C from the K&R book...lots of bugs in the examples and horrible style conventions.

I learned C from the original K&R. I found it an excellent book, assuming you are an experienced programmer and you just want to add C to your repertoire as quickly as possible. To quote the Introduction: "The book is not an introductory programming manual: it assumes some familiarity with basic programming concepts like..." While any book has errata, I don't remember anything significant. As far as style is concerned, chacun a son goût.

If you want to learn programming from scratch, IMO your best bet is an adult education, community college, or local college extension course. If you want to learn programming on your own, I suggest going to the public library and see what books they have. Sure, they're out of date but the fundamental programming concepts (variables, control structures, functions, data structures) haven't changed much since the 1960s. One problem with learning to program (or anything else) on your own is that you may learn some bad habits and/or misunderstandings that are very hard to un-learn later.

I would also like to warn the OP that programming requires a lot of patience and methodical thinking. Expecting instant results is likely to lead to frustration and disappointment.
by obarthelemy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:03 am
"although, 1 big question....whats FOSS? lol"

google: what is FOSS ? The first page is mostly relevant... You really need to start trying to help yourself, before raging that people don't help you enough.

also, the first link when googling "C for beginners" looks OK to me.
by jamesh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:09 am
First K&R was published in '78.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by jamesh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:14 am
jojopi wrote:
http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/l ... ych55.html
Can you cite any of either? The link you gave can not, and I am not at all convinced there are any.

Errors in programming books are pretty rampant. But that is exactly why you should learn from a book like K&R2 or Stroustrup, (co-)authored by the language or compiler designer. Not from someone who is famous mostly for being controversial.

Well, I can quote a horrible style conventions. Their curly bracket use is an abortion against all humanity, and should have been put down at birth. It is a desperate shame that its used in Unix and Linux kernels because it is an unutterably dreadful style which makes code unreadable and difficult to follow by anyone with any common sense.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
by abishur » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:48 pm
PaulCheffus wrote:Hi

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C+programming

Cheers

Paul

Please don't do this. Not only do most people start there, so it's unhelpful, but I can't tell you how many times I've googled for something, found a thread with what looks to be an answer, only for the only response to be "let me google that for you", which of course is what led me to the thread in the first place.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by PaulCheffus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:38 pm
abishur wrote:

Cheers

Paul

Please don't do this. Not only do most people start there, so it's unhelpful, but I can't tell you how many times I've googled for something, found a thread with what looks to be an answer, only for the only response to be "let me google that for you", which of course is what led me to the thread in the first place.

Hi

Apologies for that but I was making a point that the OP could easily have answered his own question.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by secretreeve » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:40 pm
um not so.

i had previously googled for stuff about learning it and didnt find anything suitable so i asked here, where Pi programmers are at.

therefore you was not pointing out that i, the op, could have answered my own question.
by PaulCheffus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:28 pm
secretreeve wrote:um not so.

i had previously googled for stuff about learning it and didnt find anything suitable so i asked here, where Pi programmers are at.

therefore you was not pointing out that i, the op, could have answered my own question.

Hi

I'm not getting into an argument about it. That is how I saw it from the first post in this thread. This will be my last post on this subject.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by abishur » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 pm
PaulCheffus wrote:
abishur wrote:

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Apologies for that but I was making a point that the OP could easily have answered his own question.

Cheers

Paul

I understand the overall logic behind it, I'd just appreciate it if we didn't go that direction on the forums. Such responses are overall unhelpful and there are much better ways to say "and if all else fails, try google". Ways that aren't needless inflammatory (which despite your intentions, I believe such a response to generally stroke the flames of discord). Just my two cents as a moderator ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Nr90 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 pm
You could also look into existing classes from for example MIT or Stanford.
They publish quite a bit online which you can follow. Often including lectures and exercises.

I prefer this way of studying over the short tutorials online, as they provide a better coordinated package.

The K&R book is also good and has been updated in 1991 or so, so should be error free.
by jamesh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 am
Feck me, you lot never learn. Locking thread.