broken sd card slot

6 posts
by p4trykx » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:10 pm
I accidentally dropped my Raspi and the SD card slot broke. I glued it together bu it does not work perfectly so I need to solder a new one. However there are many types of socket and I can't fire out which one would fit.
Is there some standard of leads so when I see a SMD socket with connections at the back it would work with raspi? I suspect all except the presence pin is standard?
by rew » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:22 pm
Yes, usually the pins from the SD card are straight through, so they are placed/spaced just like the SD card itself. At least one of presence detect and write protect isn't connected IIRC....
Check out our raspberry pi addons: http://www.bitwizard.nl/catalog/
by p4trykx » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:10 pm
by mahjongg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 pm
Hard to say, I don't have a PI, and cant find a picture of the back, but generally yes, there are two types of connectors, "normal" connectors and connectors that allow the insertion of a card "upside down", the most important thing is that you get that type right.
All the important signal pins will indeed align up with the pins of an SD card, so most (correct type) connectors will have most of the important pins on the right place, the genral exceptions are pins used for insertion and write protection, there is no standard for these, so they can be all over the place, this on has them at the back, so its seems, but some adapters have them at the sides.
The only real advice I can give is to determine if the connector needed is a "right side up", or a "right side down" connector, recognisable that on one end the pins get closer to each other (same as on the card), ten closely compare the other pins. Generally you can say the the PI only uses the "insert detector", and ignores the "write detect" switch.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by p4trykx » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:51 am
This is a picture of Raspi
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/ ... etTop2.png

Now I see that the presence pins are on the right and r/w pins on the left.
In my link there are two close ones on the left but probably they are r/w pins and there are no presence pins in this socket.
I wonder if they are necessary? Could I just connect them together?
by AndrewS » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:12 pm
The schematics show that the write-detect pins aren't connected to anything. And I guess as long as you don't remove the card while the RPi is switched on, there's no harm in soldering the card-detect pins together.