Mono and .net forum please

6 posts
by jools » Mon May 28, 2012 5:59 pm
Could we have a mono .net C#/VB forum please: there are plenty of postings to justify it, but they are scattered all over.....

Thank you. and thank you for such a fantastic device and concept.
by emg » Mon May 28, 2012 8:12 pm
I second this request. Thanks.
by jamesh » Tue May 29, 2012 2:19 am
For the moment please use the Other Languages Forum. If the demand arises them we may consider a specific forum, but to be honest, if we did that in every language the forum would be swamped, so there would need to be a LOT of demand., especially since C# was originally an MS language and has lots of existing sites out there.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by jools » Tue May 29, 2012 2:45 am
jamesh wrote:For the moment please use the Other Languages Forum. If the demand arises them we may consider a specific forum, but to be honest, if we did that in every language the forum would be swamped, so there would need to be a LOT of demand., especially since C# was originally an MS language and has lots of existing sites out there.

Well there are many C# sites for sure, just like there are many Python and C/C++ sites.. But the forum isn't to discuss C# per se, any more than your C/C++ forum is to discuss the semantics of C/C++. It's to discuss implementing the language/framework on the Pi.

What is the harm in having headings for quite a few languages ? Surely that's a good thing because it shows the ubiquity of the project ? There are many C# sites because people like using C#. There are also strong arguments why Mono is a good choice for Pi. I'm not sure I understand the logic of your argument: consigning budding Pi programmers to 'Other Languages' means that the same basic implementation questions get asked again and again: you can see this happening already.
by khulat » Tue May 29, 2012 5:44 am
The harm is that a forum gets rather unwieldy with to many subforums. So it's a very good idea to create subforums only for subjects where the traffic will be high enough.
And the same basic questions will be asked all the time regardless of subforums.
by jools » Tue May 29, 2012 8:15 pm
khulat wrote:The harm is that a forum gets rather unwieldy with to many subforums. So it's a very good idea to create subforums only for subjects where the traffic will be high enough.
And the same basic questions will be asked all the time regardless of subforums.

I'm sorry but this isn't right: there's never going to be cross-over with languages and it's absurd for people with an interest in C# or VB to be permanently consigned to 'Other Languages' whereas C/C++ and Python have their own forum. There are 240 citations of Mono in these forums and I can't search for C# or VB because you can't search on two letters here. Providing subforums doesn't make it unwieldy, it makes it organised.

I'm a long-term Linux user and for what it's worth, I don't like Windows much. But I also don't like some of the 'linux ghetto' thinking that you can see in some of these forums and elsewhere: the future is cross-platform and in my view mono/.net is a good vehicle.

If people want to join in and contribute, you should let them and encourage them to make their own choices. Who chose Python and C/C++ to have their own titles here ? I think a few people here would do well to remember that the Raspberry Pi is a DEVICE: it isn't the property of the Linux guardians club and people will import software on to it as they see fit, whether this is approved of here or not.

If popularity governs the provision of subforums, why have Gentoo, Puppy