Compatible SD cards

6 posts
by FAM17 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:08 am
I have a question; Can you use a ridiculous sd cards such as a sandisk extreme pro which is 95Mb/s or a kingston 128gb sd card? Will any of these work? Any others?
by grumpyoldgit » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 am
If you do a search you will see that there are many threads on this subject. There may be issues with class 10 cards but until people have put some real cards in some real Pis, and then commented on them, we just aren't going to know for sure. My advice, for what it's worth would be to save your money for now. Just use an existing card or get something cheap and cheerful like a Sandisk 8GB Class 4 from Play.com for 5 squid. Apart from anything else, it seems silly to spend more on a card than the Pi itself.
by ProDigit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:41 pm
Most media players I owned, had some issues with odd brand cards.
Generally Sandisk is one of the most known, most stable, and most compatible with all devices.
I personally would believe that 32GB is currently the limit of cards, but I'm more familiar with the x86 architecture world, where this limitation has to do with how you format the card.

I know one thing, you probably will experience problems trying to format the card in COMPRESSED NTFS. But I guess cards will be either formatted in FAT32 (in which your limitation may lie between 4,8, 16,or 32GB top), or any of the ext formats.

Many hardware states a maximum of 4GB, but then over time proves it can run a 16 or even 32GB card just fine.

As far as speed factors,I never really came across a media player (because I have currently nothing else to compare it to than a ARM based media players), that could not read a card because it was 'too fast'. I did come across some cards that did not work, most likely because of the combination of SD manufacturer, speed rating, and the device's card reader; there might be an incompatibility in speed settings;but those are generally oddballs.

I also see no reason why a 128GB sd card would not work, as long as your card reader supports it. If it's connected via USB, then it'll depend on the card reader.
If the device had an internal card reader, it might be more of an issue.
by kevpatts » Thu May 17, 2012 9:54 pm
Juts to let you know, I'm running Debian and OpenELEC off a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95Mb 8Gb without any issues.
by AcidBurns87 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:47 pm
I'm using an old Reekin 2GB High speed sd card (I found it on the street...)

My brand new SanDisk Extreme 16gb 45MBs Class 10 Card takes forever to boot archlinux and throws out hardware interrupts while booting debian.
(I tried dd'ing working images from the 2gb card as well as using win32diskimager and dd on linux with the original images...)

So a NO GO for the 16gb 45Mbs SanDisk Extreme...
by jbeale » Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 am
Just FYI there's been a request for failing SD cards, to try to debug the problem, if you have them...
viewtopic.php?t=6093&p=80145