Model A info??

5 posts
by redhawk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:42 pm
The Raspberry PI model B has been selling like hot cakes but what has happened to the model A why after all this time it's still not possible to purchase one??

Is there an ETA for these boards??

Also now the model B has 512MB of RAM will the model A still come with 256MB or 512MB??

Richard S.
by jamesh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:43 pm
This has been extensively covered on the forum already, but in précis, we HOPE it will be before Xmas. It will have 256MB ram.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by liz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:24 pm
We're picking up the first batch on Thursday (there are 20 being made, and we're using them for development - we may auction a few with ultra-low serial numbers off at New Year to raise some money like we did with the Model B) to deliver to Pete for some tests and so forth. I hope I'll be able to get a picture of a small heap of them on Thursday to put on the blog.

I've explained here before, but it's worth repeating: the delay has been because to make Model As, we have to sacrifice Model B parts (namely the BCM2835, which at the moment has something like a 30-week lead time) - and when there's as big a backlog as there is at the moment, that's not something we want to do.

I'm hoping and expecting that all being well, we'll be able to start selling them pretty early on in 2013. I'm particularly interested in how they'll mesh with the camera board; and I think we'll be seeing them in a lot of industrial applications. We still recommend the Model B for schools and learning, because it's more flexible, but there are a lot of use cases that a Model A will be a better (and lower-power) fit for.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by Lob0426 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 am
@liz;
I had kind of figured it would happen that way. The 512MB's really caused another backlog.

Has there been any info on whether they will be in cases or not by release?
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by liz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 pm
No, no cases. We see a very varied set of uses for the A, and especially for those using them for industrial applications a case could well end up being a waste of plastic.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation